News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Rules thread

Started by Anastasia, January 04, 2005, 01:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Sorry about the delay, but I've been an airheaded ditz lately.

---

1. Any natural roll of 2 for a check is a success regardless of modifiers, and any natural roll of a 12 is a failure. This is to keep an element of chance in things, and to prevent tanked out characters from being 'immune' to bad luck. We all know the drill here, girls.

2. Targetting multiple enemies with the same attack causes splits the damage up among the victims. The damage is reduced by 25% for each target past the first. Only targets that take damage apply, an attack aimed at 5 that hit only 1 will do full damage to the one.

For example, a sixty damage attack -

1 youma 60 damage
2 youma 45 damage
3 youma 34 damage
4 youma 25 damage

I'm going to keep this in place for now, but any Senshi attack designed for multiple targets will likely have it's own rules for usage built in.

3. Divine Relationship rerolls do no replenish if the game is paused mid scene. Essentially, this is to prevent freebies because we have to pause in battle or other stressful situations.

4. ACV and DCV are capped at 10 and 8, respectively.  Tentatively, since this won't come up for awhile. But it's good to have in place, I reckon.

5. After throwing some tests around with the new DCV cap, the Senshi penalties are going to be toned down now. My idea is to halve them, so that it looks like this:

Level one and two Senshi attacks: +1 modification to the DCV roll
Level three and four Senshi attacks: +2 modification to the DCV roll
Level five and six Senshi attacks: +3 modification to the DCV roll

Tentatively in place, though I may diddle with this on an attack by attack basis.

6.  Critical hits ARE allowed a DCV roll, despite what the source book says. This is due to the powerful nature of said occurances and for game balance. I don't think any of us want to see that sort of thing happening; a one hit kill splat.

7. The level six ability of Supernatural Training is disabled - In other words, the 'cannot be directly damaged by supernatural forces' clause is kaput. It would be a good measure of invincibility in this game used in that context. It dies.

On a side note, it's reasonable to come up with a alternate level 6 ability should you possess those skills. Rei did last game. (Subject to GM approval, of course.)

This one is here mainly for completionist sake, as I don't think it'll come up any time soon as well.

These are the imports from the last game. Most of these have stood the test of time pretty well, and are good home brewed adjustments to the source book. The next post will contain the newer rules, which will be posted within an hour.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

1. Speeches.

Okay.

For each speech given, there is a -1 modifier to the target's initiative for that following round. Also, for every TWO girls speeching, a -1 to ACV(Only ACV) is added. The maximum for both is -3. The caveat is that the majority of the girls present must give the speech, and it cannot take place in the middle of a combat round unless it ends the round. I.e., in the instance of a saving attack or interruption.

Of course, this is limited to once per battle, generally. Exceptions may exist at the GM's discretion. Also, higher levelled baddies like leaders may get a Mind check to resist the effects. Finally, in the case of more than one target, the GM will use his discretion to the effect of the speeches. (Read as: Case by case basis.)

This one may be modified as playtesting warrants, but I feel this is a reasonable start.

More to come as I hammer them out.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Elementall Control

Relevant Stat - Varies, usually Soul unless noted otherwise.

EC is the ability to manipulate, command and control the elemental, ideas or forces related to a Sailor Senshi. With this, they have a broad range of variable power over that element. Being an extremely variable skill, EC is both flexible and dependant on good PC/GM interactions and adjudication.

Within that, these are the defining parameters we use. First and foremost, the level of EC that Sailor possess is vital. We are intending to use a sliding scale relative to the level of EC she possesses. As follows:

An ability ruled to be on an even level as the EC of the Sailor(Level 2 effect on a level 2 EC) is an even Soul check.  An effect one level under her EC gains a default of -2 to the soul check. Any effect 2 or more levels lower than that has a default of -4 to the soul check, and is often automatic if not in combat or pressured at all. Skills ruled above the level of EC the Sailor possesses are generally considered impossible.

EC costs 5 EP per level of the effect. This cost is halved whent he ability used is two levels or lower than her maximum EP. This can also be modified by forms, which are gone into detail below. EC effects that are continous or would last a very long time with continual effort may require more EP, generally paying half the initial cost every round or two.

The exceptions to these guidelines are pressure/circumstances, and forms. For the former, certain circumstances or rules may modify a EC check, either raising the effective level needed to perform the feat, or applying a negative modifier to the girl's check. These are generally ruled on the fly as the game dictates.

It's quite likely each girl will find a trick or two with her EC that she'll be fond of, and tend towards using. I'm perfectly fine with this, and would like to encourage this. When a Sailor uses the same effect several times, they may make it into a 'formed EC effect'. This is an ability the girl has honed, and offers the following bonuses:

- The ability to have a certain power ready to go easily, practiced and well used. A bonus of -1 to the relevant check is added, and the EP cost is reduced by a flat 3.

- So being honed, the girl has a near total freedom with how the form is expressed. I'll give her a lot of liberty here, to use her imagination for interesting effects and expressions therein.

- For continual effects, more leeway with the upkeep cost. This is useful for certain ideas I've seen you girls propose.

- The most interesting effects could perhaps be several effects attempted to be used as one, maybe. <_<

In the event an EC is used to damage, the damage is EC level x 5. (5, 10, 15, 20...and so on.) While very flexible, EC sacrifices power for versatility, not coming close to the mighty Sailor Senshi Special Attacks in raw damaging power.

The relevant stat for EC is -usually- Soul. However, it may occasionally be another stat under two circumsances. If the EC's sphere would clearly favor another stat more (Say, Strength or Psycho Power), a more fitting stat may be used at the GM's discretion. Secondly, girls with extremely low Souls may sometimes be able to shift some of the more bodily or mentally based abilites of her sphere into checks on those stats instead, though this varies on the application and the will of the GM.

Finally, a sample table of EC effects for the sphere of Water. This is a rough guideline.

Level 1 - A beginning, basic and rudimentary control over an element. To set the example of water, Sailor Mercury could stir a cup of tea by merely willing it to be stirred at this level, or have a puddle of water splash someone out of the blue, with seemingly no reason or rhyme to it.

Level 2 - A generally elementary control over a sphere. With water, Ami could make notable waves in the apartment swimming pool, make a sudden undercurrent to whip off the bathing suits of Mamoru and Usagi, or have a small pipe burst from water pressure.

Level 3 - A solid grasp of her sphere, capable of notable effects. With this, Sailor Mercury could cause rainclouds in summer to start raining in a few block area, have a sturdy pipe set explode open with raging water, or have a small torrent of aqua come outta nowhere to soak Umino.

Level 4 - An advanced skill with an element. With this, a massive wave could slam into a beach should Ami will it(Not Tsunami level, but pretty damn beach assaulting.), pipes all over her apartment could burst and go crazy, or Tokyo could suddenly have rainclouds form and engage in a soaking cloudburst.

Level 5 - An extreme mastery of a sphere. With this, Ami could have Tsunamis ravage a coastline or two, cause a whirlpool in the ocean big enough to consume a cruise ship, or drain a large lake of water.

Level 6 - A primal level of control. An ocean could drop several hundred feet in water level or raise, all the water in Tokyo could vanish, or all of a nation could have massive groundswell flooding. In other words, nearly godlike control over water.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

As an overdue appendix to the above -

Non transformed girls can use EC at two levels lower than their maximum level. This cannot drop a EC level below one. (For example EC Snow 2 would only be Snow 1 for a non transformed Sailor.)
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

1. The stacking DCV penalty for multiple dodges in a round is reduced to -1 per dodge, down from -2.

2. The maximum EP that can be burned on a single stat for a roll is 40.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Clarification on continuing Senshi attacks:

Past the first round if you maintain a Senshi attack, the EP price is halved as in the book. The target(s) must stay the same as a general rule of thumb. This is an official clarificatin/tidying up of a few semi unwritten rules.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Clarification on Cleave:

It can only affect purely energy attacks - partial attacks like Usagi's Moon Tiara are only minorly to totally uneffected.
<Afina> Forever.