News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

A Story of a Cave, A Boy, And His 40 Megawatt Plasma Cannon

Started by Olvelsper, March 28, 2005, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olvelsper

http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html

For anyone not living underneath a rock for the past couple of months (Hey there, Drac. :p) Doukutsu Monogatari, known as Cave Story for us english speakers, has become the next big thing in PC gaming. Several sites and forums have sprung up overnight as it spreads by word of mouth.

Designed, coded, and drawn by a single man going by the handle of Pixel, this charming old school adventure/platformer is very much reminiscient of Metroid. You control a boy through a series of caves trying to find out who you are and saving a race of intelligent bunnies from the machinations of an evil scientist bent on taking over the world. All while blowing up everything that stands in your way with your laser gun, of course.

An average playthrough lasts about six through seven hours, but it has lots of little secrets and challenges built in that'll easily get you through at least two to three playthroughs to see and find everything.

Have fun.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Stage four of what I think is the final boss.

This is not a simple battle.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Brian

VICTORLY.  Man.

This is a freeware game.  It is, quite possibly, the most awesome one I have ever seen.  I hope they make a sequel, even if they make it commercial.

~exploding tag~

Olvelsper

Now play through the game again and see if you can crush a whole new stage after the final boss is defeated. :p

And yeah, this game fucking rocks, I'd gladly pay for a sequel.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Dracos

This game is beautiful.  It's earthbound mixed with metroid.  Wai.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Quote from: "Olguin"Now play through the game again and see if you can crush a whole new stage after the final boss is defeated. :p

And yeah, this game fucking rocks, I'd gladly pay for a sequel.

There's more?  Awesome.  Now to try it without the machine gun.  I think if you take the Polaris Star back to the old hermit, he gives you an upgrade.

And maybe Curly will fare better with her auto-cannon.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

I beat it once.  It's just so awesome that my own vocabulary fails to properly describe it in less than sixty thousand words.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Halbarad

It is indeed awesomeness in electronic format. I'm about 3/4 of the way through my second playthrough, and I vow that Curly shall live!
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Not nearly as much so as Misery, the doctor, the doctor, and the undead core.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

I found that the doctor quad-boss was pretty easy on my second time through.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Not as easy as hovering overhead while flinging bolts of death at them.

The Mighty Levitation Cannon is way powerful.  But it's a bit of a crutch....

~exploding tag~

Jason_Miao

How far have you guys gotten through Hell?  I've gotten to the boss who always shoots in one place...and always get mobbed by the freaking Angel Horde.  Argh.

Olvelsper

I beat Hell. Came close to dying against the final form of the King, but Curly is a lifesaver with her fully powered Nemesis.