News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

318: 108 Mutable

Started by SuperusSophia, May 24, 2005, 12:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperusSophia

For the sole purpose of editting the numbering system for rules, make 108 mutable.

Rye Coal

Just out of curiosity - how do you propose we change the numbering system? and how do you plan to renumber those rules already in effect?

SuperusSophia

All immutable rules are 100 rules, starting with rule 101, and continuing in chronological order of creation (or as numbered in the initial set).  All mutable, non-minigame rules shall be numbered in the 200s.  All new rules as they are inacted shall recieve a new number seperate from the proposal number (for example, this is proposal 318, but if inacted it recieves the next 200 number).  All proposals shall remain number in the 300s and all minigame rules shall be numbered with 400s.

Rye Coal

So you want to number the rules by thier status? What happens if we make a mini-game rule immutable? does it get renamed if so as a 100 or a 400? Also are we keeping the idea that once modified a rule retains the number of the rule/proposal that last acted on it? I think that is the most confusing part of 108 - rules are numbered in order of change, not thier subject or status. I personally like the distinction with the 100's and 200's set aside for the original rule sets - i like the ability to tell what was there when we started and what was of our own doing. I think revisons to a rule aught to be denoted by a decimal like .1, .02 or whatever. That will help with keeping track of what rules were what and keep the numbers from getting all funny - in addtion to preventing a major overhaul of all the rules we have changed or modified since the game began.

Jason_Miao

You guys could compromise.  There's a few different ways I can think of doing it.

One way is to keep all original rules with the current numbering system, and any modified rules are reindexed into a two-tier numbering system.  So Rule 101 stays as Rule 101 so long as it is never modified.  But when it is modified, it changes into something like 389-57 or 417-94.  The first number denotes the new proposal number, and the second denotes the round it was created/amended.  So the first example is rule 309, which was created on the 57th round of the game.  The second example is rule 417, which was created on the 94th round of the game.  The original rules would never have been modified, so you could easily check their versions of it.  e.g, rule 106 never changed, becuase it doesn't have -?? next to it

The second way is to say that all future numbers must be reordered differently.  e.g, From this round henceforth, all new rules must be ordered in hexidecimal form.  So anything new looks like 0x[rule], and anything not new stays the same.  You can easily tell which rule is an original (216) and which is not (0x1BD).

A third way would be a multi-tier system, with one tier for topic, a second tier for mutability, a third tier for rule number, and a final tier for version.  So, 6-1-304-8 might mean topic 6 (something general like rules regulating the judicial system), immutable (1 = mutable, 2 = immutable), rule number 304, version 8.  I actually favor this method, since it's very flexible.  But it would involve a total reordering of all the numbers, so it would be quite a bit of work for whomever is updating the rules.

tinuviel

I like the idea of throwing the round number into the system, that would help me keep things straight in my head, at least...if you wanted to go multi-tiered, you could also throw in the author of the rule/change, by using their serial number.  That might help with checking scores, ultimately.

Rye Coal

I dont mind if we change the system - any one of these suggestions would work fine - just remember it needs to jive with all the other rules that deal with numbering.

Evelyn

I personally like the first numbering change purposal, set up by SuperusSophia . By having numbers like an old library system. 100's,. 200's, etc.... It allows new players to quickly adhere to the game, because the system is like that used in old libraries. Also as a new player is there anyway where rules could be posted on just a forum, so I know what has been decided on already. Just so the rules, or atleast some of the rules that have already been voted on can be displayed clearly.

Rye Coal

Thanks for the input guys, unfortuneatly its time to move on. Since the deadline for a Final version is past the Draft is considered the final proposal and will be voted on.