Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Session Start: Sun May 29 12:23:21 2005
Session Ident: #srnewspaper
[12:23] * Now talking in #srnewspaper
[12:23] * mint.sayuri.ca sets mode: +nt
[15:46] <Dracos> Yarr
[15:57] * Ragnar (Ragnar@dialup-4.155.6.36.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net) has joined #srnewspaper
[15:57] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Ragnar
[15:59] <Ragnar> 'Ello 'ello.
[16:00] <Dracos> Yarr
[16:00] <Dracos> Good.
[16:00] <Dracos> That's one
[16:01] * Ana-brb (~spatulalo@ip68-10-129-226.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:01] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Ana-brb
[16:02] <Dracos> Yarr
[16:02] <Dracos> That's two
[16:03] <Dracos> And...brian's offline.  Lovely.  Hum.
[16:06] <Dracos> Anyone else you guys have an idea on dragging in?
[16:06] <Ragnar> In English, please?
[16:07] * Ginrai (~Ginrai@pool-70-18-50-24.ny325.east.verizon.net) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:09] <Ragnar> Speaking of writing, I swear I'll write some more articles in the near future.
[16:09] <Dracos> Yay for that.
[16:09] <Dracos> Anyhow, at current, the sr newspaper project is something of a disaster.
[16:09] <Ragnar> However, I was thrown a little off-track by the Wanna-Be Overlords tanking.
[16:10] <Ragnar> As a result, I'll probably keep going on EB and try to find a new game to write about.
[16:10] * Storm (~WinNT@adsl-68-94-2-233.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:10] <Storm> I'm curious.
[16:11] <Ragnar> Shall we call you George?
[16:11] * Ami-chan (~mizuno@cpe-68-203-171-59.houston.res.rr.com) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:11] <Dracos> Okay...  
[16:11] <Dracos> Howdy Ami
[16:11] <Dracos> Ami, can you pull up the last prototype we had?
[16:11] <Ami-chan> A BIG TEXAS HOWDY FOR YOU, DRACOS!
[16:11] <Dracos> let's see what we've got and work from there.
[16:11] <Dracos> =D
[16:11] <Ami-chan> uh, hang on
[16:12] <Ami-chan> http://coecs.ou.edu/Mario.Chiock/srnp/
[16:13] <Ami-chan> That was the last thing I did before thing pettered out. I -know- there were comments on that, but err...I've lost 'em >_>;
[16:13] <Ragnar> Yes. Unfortunately, two of those articles are now rather moot points.
[16:13] <Ami-chan> there's that
[16:14] <Dracos> Okay, look...
[16:14] <Ami-chan> the round bottom and self insertion one don't work >_>
[16:14] <Dracos> The point isn't going to be to write to the games.
[16:14] <Ami-chan> considering both things died <_<
[16:14] <Dracos> Because that's going to be flickery and all that
[16:14] <Ragnar> Okay. What's the point again?
[16:14] <Dracos> The point is going to be to draw some inspiration and create an interesting fictional world
[16:14] <Dracos> which you guys are writing newspaper articles about.
[16:15] <Ragnar> This world involves the game characters. I remember now.
[16:15] <Ami-chan> would all articles be for that world?
[16:15] <Ragnar> Correct? Or am I wrong?
[16:15] <Dracos> Yes.  It can indeed.  Ami: that would be the idea.
[16:16] * Ami-chan nods
[16:16] <Dracos> We've concluded following games exactly won't work and isn't funny or interesting.
[16:16] <Ami-chan> has a decision been made on 'The World' yet?
[16:16] <Dracos> We don't want it to be breaking the fourth wall as we have standard articles for that.
[16:16] <Dracos> a decision?
[16:16] <Ami-chan> didn't you just say all articles would be for one world?
[16:17] <Ami-chan> what world would that be?
[16:17] <Dracos> Without sounding cheesy: Your world.  Part of the idea of the meeting here is to pull together such a world from ideas and the like.
[16:17] <Ragnar> Drac: The problem is that this leaves very little to use as a base for the stories, except for personality.
[16:18] <Ragnar> But I think we can handle it.
[16:19] * Thepanda (~ssj_harbi@cpe-24-165-198-152.midsouth.res.rr.com) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:19] <Dracos> Well, the personality and your imagination.  I was thinking you guys could view it as sort of a game where instead of playing characters, you're investigatively reporting about them.
[16:20] <Ragnar> I see.
[16:20] <Dracos> This making sense to the rest of our silent witnesses?
[16:20] <Dracos> Because, as awesome as Ragnar is, this isn't a writing project sized for one ^^:
[16:20] <Ami-chan> heh
[16:22] <Dracos> Who here is on board for this?
[16:22] <Dracos> I think Brian, though he isn't here today, would be willing to work on this and do creative lead stuff.
[16:24] <Ami-chan> weren't Hal and Shu both in on this as well?
[16:24] <Dracos> Hal was brought in as advice, though I don't think he was writing.  I don't recall Shuten being in on it, but I could be wrong.
[16:24] <Dracos> Netta and Rat were but they haven't really taken to it much.
[16:25] * Ami-chan could be mistaken about Shu
[16:25] * Dracos really would be pleased to see someone take this as something to lead and make happen. =)
[16:26] <Ami-chan> Last time I was in charge of a 'fun' project, I ended up with high blood pressure, restless nights, and pained limb muscles >_>
[16:26] <Ami-chan> So I decline the lead position!
[16:26] <Dracos> Well said!
[16:26] * Dracos pats.
[16:26] * Ana-brb (~spatulalo@ip68-10-129-226.hr.hr.cox.net) Quit (Excess Flood)
[16:26] <Dracos> o_O
[16:27] * Ana-brb (~spatulalo@ip68-10-129-226.hr.hr.cox.net) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:27] <Dracos> I think dune was just trying to bring panda up to date.
[16:27] <Ami-chan> heh
[16:27] <Dracos> Dune, need us to slow for a sec on that?
[16:27] <Ragnar> Welcome Back, Noah.
[16:27] <Ana-brb> No, I'm just trying to do twenty things at once and I pasted too much.
[16:28] <Thepanda> Take your time. I'll give an answer once I've read up.
[16:28] * Baka-ken (~bakaken@cpc3-ware2-6-0-cust144.lutn.cable.ntl.com) has joined #srnewspaper
[16:28] <Dracos> Howdy Baka
[16:28] <Baka-ken> Yosh.
[16:28] <Dracos> Someone fill in baka as well?
[16:29] <Dracos> And...any responses from those sitting in curious on this?
[16:29] <Ana-brb> At this point, could someone just make a quick paste of this to the bord or something?
[16:30] <Ragnar> Of which?
[16:30] <Ana-brb> *board.
[16:32] <Dracos> Ana: I can but the newspaper board isn't public right now, bleh...
[16:32] <Ami-chan> put an announcement in otik's
[16:32] <Ana-brb> Bleh. Hell, just throw it up on Otik's for the moment.
[16:32] * Ami-chan nods
[16:32] <Ami-chan> the announcement is to dig up interest
[16:32] <Ami-chan> the actual board section is for those who show it
[16:33] <Ami-chan> be back in a while, parents are dragging me to the mall to change cellphones or something...
[16:33] <Dracos> *nods*
[16:36] <Dracos> hum
[16:36] <Dracos> Posted
[16:37] <Dracos> ...?
[16:38] <Ragnar> ...!
[16:39] <Dracos> Are there other people in this room...besides Ragnar?
[16:39] <Dracos> =)
[16:40] <Dracos> ;_;
[16:41] * Ana-brb lives just badly distracted. Badly.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

<Thepanda> Ok, caught up. I think. You want us to form a shared world in which to write articles for a fictional newspaper. It can draw inspiration from the games on the board but cannot actually delve into them. Also, this world is amorphous at the moment, needing those interested to come together and create a rough idea of what it actually is? I s this about right?
<Baka-ken> I didn't mean concreted, I was wondering about suggested. :p
<Ragnar> cor?
<Dracos> Thepanda: it 'could', but shouldn't, since games tend to come and go
<Dracos> and I was hoping this could last a while.
<Dracos> And yes, that's about right.
<Dracos> =)
<Dracos> Baka: Don't have any =)
<Ragnar> ...What's cor?
<Baka-ken> Well I heartily suggest modern for the timeset.
<Baka-ken> ^^
<Thepanda> I second that suggestion!
<Ragnar> Thirded.
<Thepanda> Rag: Cor was the RPG that partially founded the board.
<Baka-ken> Wai.
<Ragnar> I see (lie).
<Ragnar> Well, I think I get the idea.
<Thepanda> Basically it's a newspaper game. ^_^
<Baka-ken> Hehe.
<Dracos> Sure.
<Ragnar> We'll just need a meeting first, as it will be sort of hard to write without a base.
<Dracos> Yeah.
<Dracos> Okay
<Dracos> you guys chitchat, you can use this room, and come up with ideas and I'll arrange another meeting in a few days?

And that's about where we are now. Let the discussion begin!

Brian

Interesting.  I'd like to discuss this in chat with everyone to see where we are, and who we end up putting in charge of the newspaper.  I'll be home this afternoon at around, say, 4:00 PM PST.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Merc

Quote<Dracos> you guys chitchat, you can use this room, and come up with ideas and I'll arrange another meeting in a few days?

Arrange away, fearless leader! =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Barring random meteors,

How's friday afternoon around 5 pm EST for people?

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

I can't show up (reliably) until 7:00 PM EST.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Okay, how's 7:30 pm EST for people?

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

thepanda

Ragnar

-Ragnar
"BUT THOU MUST!"

DannyCat|somewhere: Watch out, Huitzil. Encredible froce is being swang here.

Merc

Considering that the time was set up by you two and you haven't shown up yet...

Drac, Brian, you both SUCK! =p

Ragnar

We are now taking about a week or so to whip up some trial articles before the next meeting. Said meeting will be scheduled in the future, and hopefully Drac will grace us with his presence this time. >_>
-Ragnar
"BUT THOU MUST!"

DannyCat|somewhere: Watch out, Huitzil. Encredible froce is being swang here.

Merc

Logs of the meeting:

[19:08] <Ragnar> Well, getting started on this thing might be a good topic.
[19:08] <Brian> Alrighty.
[19:08] <Brian> I'm looking at Yuth for a "rumors" column.
[19:08] <Brian> But.  Erm.  Let's see....  Start at the begining, I suppose?
[19:08] <Ragnar> The way I understand it, Drac wants us to create a little world and write about it.
[19:09] <Sailor_Mercury> indeed
[19:09] <Ragnar> Well, we should start with a setting.
[19:10] <Ragnar> I think last time Ken proposed modern.
[19:10] <Sailor_Mercury> So we first need to start tossing ideas about what we want. Do we want a D&D'esque fantasy world, a sci-fi futuristic world, something supernatural, or even something with pirates that fight ninjas on sharks with bears and so on?
[19:11] <Brian> I'm personally partial to a vaguely sci-fi theme.  Something along the lines of brave inter-dimensional reporters from various walks of life and corners of reality who are each trying to top one-another for really awesome stories.
[19:11] <Brian> We could establish some minor interplay between the charactrs we'd use as reporters (or ourselves, via the woundrous SI machine).
[19:12] <Ragnar> I'd vote to try and limit interactment, because my schedule is rather erratic.
[19:12] * Thepanda (~ssj_harbi@cpe-24-165-198-152.midsouth.res.rr.com) has joined #srnewspaper
[19:12] <Halbarad> Eh, it's for a newspaper.
[19:12] <Thepanda> Hey, folks.
[19:12] <Sailor_Mercury> heya Panda
[19:12] <Brian> Reasonable.  I'd suggest nothing more than (really) vague snipes at one-another for being sent to more dangerous locations or whatnot.
[19:12] <Halbarad> It's not like we're having a full RP, or a chat. Just a blurb about the other 'reporter' would be appropriate.
[19:13] <Thepanda> I sorta forgot it was for EST and not central. >_>
[19:13] <Ragnar> True.
[19:13] <Brian> Anyway.  Then we've got a world that allows us to incorporate all games without having them operate under different, say, laws of physics.
[19:13] <Ragnar> Panda: We actually just started.
[19:13] <Sailor_Mercury> yup
[19:13] <Thepanda> Oh, well. Someone pm me what I missed?
[19:13] <Brian> And for kicks, we can have a column that researches interesting moments in gaming history (our archives) and higlights a classic game for the month.
[19:14] <Ragnar> Brian: Good point. I think Drac wanted us to tread lightly on the content of games, though.
[19:14] <Sailor_Mercury> I'll toss you PM c/p'age, Panda.
[19:14] <Thepanda> Thanks.
[19:14] * C-Rat (WinNT@c211-28-176-37.eburwd7.vic.optusnet.com.au) Quit (Quit: It's all Dune's fault.)
[19:14] <Halbarad> Now, the other fun thing is cross-interaction between games.
[19:15] <Brian> Treading lightly on the content of games....  Hm.  I thought his idea was to basically report obscure events that were peripheral to the games or such.  I'm not entirely sure I recall.
[19:15] <Halbarad> Say, Dr. Andonuts is caught smuggling tea to New Delphi, or something similar.
[19:15] <Sailor_Mercury> He seemed to change his mind on the games thing
[19:15] <Ragnar> Hal: Exactly.
[19:15] <Brian> Right.
[19:15] <Sailor_Mercury> because Drac said the games changed so quickly, that he wanted at best, like 4th wall/cameo'ish references
[19:15] <Brian> So just don't report about the PCs directly.
[19:16] <Ragnar> Or an article about his new "donut diet" or something.
[19:16] <Halbarad> Exactly.
[19:17] <Brian> Okay.  So the idea is we've got this interdimensional agency (Soulriders) who has noble reporters (us) willing to brave the potential ravages of otherworldy battles and yaoi sequences (the games) to talk to the denizens about the experience.
[19:18] <Brian> I think I can work with this.
[19:18] <Brian> But.
[19:18] <Brian> It's friday and I've tossed a few back.
[19:18] <Brian> So I'm looking to you (collectively) for judgement on this. :p
[19:19] <Ragnar> Brian: So the idea is that way we can have reporters from feudal China and 2034 at the same time, right?
[19:19] <Brian> Handily enough, yes.
[19:20] <Brian> And if we can do it, for kicks, random NPCs could too.
[19:20] <Ragnar> Sounds alright to me, although I would maybe try to avoid sticking one person to only one certain game.
[19:20] <Brian> So we could focus on really obscure events, like a villain's convention, where we note which famous faces have appeared -- some kind of weekly "gossip" colum could cover that.
[19:21] <Ragnar> "random NPCs?"
[19:21] <Brian> Yuth was looking to do something just like that....
[19:21] <Halbarad> The newspaper crew can just get ideas for stories, and those who are in games or keeping up with them can toss out players that might fit the story.
[19:21] <Brian> Well, we don't want to tread on the PC's toes (thought -- we could interview the players as characters).
[19:21] <Ragnar> Possible.
[19:21] <Halbarad> It's more writing a separate story, and then integrating the games into that story, than writing stories about the games really.
[19:21] <Sailor_Mercury> Could also ask PCs for "letters to the editors"
[19:22] <Brian> Or just leave a submission link on the forums.
[19:22] * Halbarad nods.
[19:22] <Ragnar> It would probably be good to look over the games somewhat, however.
[19:23] <Halbarad> Yes.
[19:23] <Ragnar> It might not be easy integrating any of them into an article about Jaques Cousteau's nephew in a submarine or something.
[19:23] <Halbarad> GMs will be an excellent resource for this.
[19:24] <Ragnar> True.
[19:24] <Halbarad> As they'll have the best concept of their NPCs as well as who would fit for an article (or hilariously not fit).
[19:24] <Ragnar> Right.
[19:24] <Halbarad> I can't help but get the picture of Lazarus as an underworld kingpin.
[19:24] <Ragnar> (Whoever he is.)
[19:24] <Halbarad> TDaT.
[19:25] <Ragnar> Ah.
[19:25] <Thepanda> Didn't e blow himself up?
[19:25] <Thepanda> he*
[19:25] <Halbarad> That was Ashnod.
[19:26] <Thepanda> Right, right.
[19:26] <Ragnar> I'm only up on EB right now, but I'm planning on trying to read Lurking Heroes as well.
[19:26] <Halbarad> If you want to involve tDaT (highly recommmended!) I'd take a look at the wiki stuff that's set up for it.
[19:26] <Halbarad> Quite a bit more concise than reading the entire game itself. ^^;
[19:26] <Ragnar> Where's that located?
[19:26] <Halbarad> There's a link to it in the OOC forum for tDaT, but let me get a direct link.
[19:28] <Halbarad> http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=TDaT_crib_sheets
[19:28] <Ragnar> Ah. Seeing as I think tDaT has been going on for longer that I have been here, That might be a bit daunting.
[19:28] <Thepanda> http://www.pishoque.net/tdat/
[19:28] <Thepanda> Oh, nevermind,
[19:30] <Thepanda> Well, you ca always fall back on the games from the graveyard.
[19:30] <Thepanda> Cor had a ton of characters.
[19:31] <Ragnar> ...I note that some of the entries on the RPGDL wiki are not quite objective.
[19:32] <Halbarad> ?
[19:32] <Halbarad> What do you mean?
[19:33] <Ragnar> Well, whoever wrote the DW IV entry didn't seem to care for it much. It's not major.
[19:33] <Halbarad> Ahh.
[19:34] <Halbarad> The other stuff is just comments from people over at the DL.
[19:34] * Halbarad shrugs.
[19:35] <Halbarad> But yeah. My suggestion would just be to come up with tabloidish articles, then see what will fit in them as far as game characters go.
[19:36] <Halbarad> And I suspect PCs wouldn't mind being included in that if you clear it with them first.
[19:37] <Ragnar> Alright.
[19:37] <Ragnar> Well, I think that about covers it, no?
[19:37] <Thepanda> No.
[19:37] <Ragnar> :p
[19:39] <Ragnar> What were you thinking?
[19:40] <Halbarad> Panda was thinking?
[19:40] <Thepanda> My question is this; just how much will our world reflect the games? I mean, will it be a requirement that they NEED to involve the games somehow or can I have Blorg from Proximus 6 detailing the comedy that was the death of Pompe?
[19:40] <Sailor_Mercury> Well, I can safely say that I haven't read almost anything of TDAT, so I wouldn't be able to write anything involving it >_>
[19:41] <Halbarad> I'd say they need to involve the games, myself.
[19:41] <Ragnar> I think they should attempt to at least be in the same setting.
[19:41] <Halbarad> Mostly because they create a common ground of sorts.
[19:42] <Thepanda> But we have some seriously conflicting world sets. TDAT and the Slayers games, for example.
[19:42] <Ragnar> You just don't neccesarily need to involve characters.
[19:42] <Ragnar> That's where the interdimensional part comes into play.
[19:42] <Ragnar> (We have Slayers games?)
[19:42] <Sailor_Mercury> we had one >_>
[19:43] <Sailor_Mercury> it's in the graveyard though
[19:43] <Ragnar> Well, I'd go to the graveyard only as a last resort.
[19:43] <Thepanda> Thing is, I haven't kept up will all (or even most) of the current games.
[19:45] <Ragnar> Either have I, but you really just need to know the basic settings.
[19:45] <Halbarad> It doesn't matter if the worlds conflict.
[19:46] <Halbarad> This is really intended for humor, so the contrasts are more or less irrelevant. And can even be used to fuel the comedy.
[19:48] <Ragnar> Right.
[19:48] <Thepanda> Ok
[19:50] <Ragnar> Well, I propose we each take about a week and try whipping up a few articles, and then scheduling another meeting.
[19:50] <Brian> Hopefully with more added Drac.
[19:50] <Ragnar> Yes.
[19:51] <Ragnar> Meeting adjourned?
[19:51] * Brian slams his head on the gavel.
[19:52] <Brian> Sounds good! :D

Dracos

Sorry folks, internet died on me bad that day.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.