What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

I've mostly drifted off in interest as it went serious for a bit and had harry drift pretty far from mad scientist hero mage.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

No luck finding anything new and neat lately.

Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon though updated a bit ago and was awesome.  In Flight also did and was amusing.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Fandom: Naruto
Fic Length: >100k
Characters: Naruto/Hinata

I'm working on it, but no real surprise, I'm not seeing a whole lot of stuff worth suggesting....

...if I read one more recap of Wave Country....
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on February 15, 2011, 03:44:51 PM
No luck finding anything new and neat lately.

Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon though updated a bit ago and was awesome.  In Flight also did and was amusing.

I didn't much like BDSM's update. The problem with a gimmick/shock fic is that you have to keep upping the ante. I think the Naru gangbang(No, really, that happened) was going over the edge. From what I've read of the guy's works, he has trouble with that. Good concepts and amusement, but he can't craft lasting stories.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Quote from: Anastasia on February 15, 2011, 11:33:08 PMI think the Naru gangbang(No, really, that happened) was going over the edge.

...and now I never have to read that series.  Thank you, Anna.

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Eh, Sage of Toads does have problems with longer lasting stories.

Still, I do kind of like the take of the scouts as competent badasses that genuinely can be pictured as dominating a country.  The genre-saavyness helps a lot, and seeing Luna genuinely frazzled by the 'look, this is how I troll' usagi combined with the generals also being equally frazzled by a girl who would as soon toss them into their own trap as call out a speech is pretty amusing.

I think the sexual antics side of things could entirely be dropped and leave a better fic for it, so I can entirely see that Mamoru and Luna being the only real cast members not to be shown to be a raging pervert with an active sex life being a turn off. 

*will keep reading it*
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on February 16, 2011, 07:34:17 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on February 15, 2011, 11:33:08 PMI think the Naru gangbang(No, really, that happened) was going over the edge.

...and now I never have to read that series.  Thank you, Anna.

Glad to be of service!

Quote from: Dracos on February 16, 2011, 08:59:07 PM
Eh, Sage of Toads does have problems with longer lasting stories.

Still, I do kind of like the take of the scouts as competent badasses that genuinely can be pictured as dominating a country.  The genre-saavyness helps a lot, and seeing Luna genuinely frazzled by the 'look, this is how I troll' usagi combined with the generals also being equally frazzled by a girl who would as soon toss them into their own trap as call out a speech is pretty amusing.

I think the sexual antics side of things could entirely be dropped and leave a better fic for it, so I can entirely see that Mamoru and Luna being the only real cast members not to be shown to be a raging pervert with an active sex life being a turn off. 

*will keep reading it*

I don't intristically -mind- a sexual take on things. Naru and Usagi started as amusing and could throw a humorous wrench into everything.  But it's gone past that and into 'Hey look at me I'm being adult and edgy!!!!!' territory. 
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I can agree with that.  It's clear that SoT sort of was going that way 'BDSM' with the name to begin with, but yeah.

I've looked over/read a bunch of fics lately.  Nothin' worth rec.  Any good ones from others?

Well, that's not fair.  Poorly written but kinda amusing was the late fic where Ranma warps in by accident and takes over Team 7 in comedy of errors style, faking everything.  Late Arrival or something, but nothing 'ooh'.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

It's a slow period. Lords of Nerima updated last week but that's like it.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Huh, oh right, that's still going.  I mentally had it mapped done from all the people claiming that, even though it was a lie.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I'm not reading much of anything lately. All the fics I follow are quiet right now, nothing new and interesting has shown up.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I vaguely hear that sage of toads may now be writing a naruto fic called And Then Suddenly, NINJAS!  I'll have to check on this later.

I've been reading Motivation.  By Du of Brian, First son of the Randall.  Not only is it entertaining and involve the smart ninjas being smart, but it also has an author I can personally tease about his fanfics.  Glee.

In Flight updated.  Nothing stellar.  Ending on a simple "I must learn that character's cool trick" is simply not as neat as "Oni-chan, he says he's going to be my sex slave.  I need more life counciling!"
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Dark Lords of Nerima, epilogue. It's up and it's finished! Story 2 is apparently coming.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I don't like that it tries so hard to fit everything into the status quo of both series' canon. It feels artificial to me. In the last couple of chapters everything slots back into place despite everything that happened. Thetis goes to help Jadeite, Tux is saved by Ranma in at the airport, Ryouga just happens to wander off to learn the Shi Shi Hokodan. Something about this violates my basic sense of cause and effect.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I'll have to read later.  When the wave of life stops.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

Time Braid has devolved full-on into gorn and wangst.  Depressingly enough, it's the first story I've unfavorited and removed from story alert.

Avoid, ladies and gents, the author hates happiness.

~exploding tag~