News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Quote from: Brian on June 05, 2011, 04:18:19 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4253696/1/Gods

Hanyuu x Kyon

Wait, what?  Writing is actually terrible in places, but the execution was ... passable.

That was cute. Not long enough for Hanyuu's dialogue to get annoying.

thepanda

New chapter of In Flight up. You might want to wait until the next chapter is up before reading this one. Also also, Saber and Rin looks kind of bad in this. >_>

Brian

Quote from: thepanda on June 06, 2011, 10:40:12 AMThat was cute. Not long enough for Hanyuu's dialogue to get annoying.
I was surprised.  Then again, I almost always aprove of any Hanyuu/Kyon interaction.  On that note ... I need a new fandom.

Must be recharged before I can trawl for more fic. :3
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I'm reading Unfair Warning by Brian. I'll post more about it when I'm done; this is just a reminder for me later.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on June 08, 2011, 09:46:39 PM
I'm reading Unfair Warning by Brian. I'll post more about it when I'm done; this is just a reminder for me later.

Not a bad story.  I'm still digesting it, but I'm okay with Akane's mistakes. She chose to react badly and then - understandably - tried to brush away the truth. There's definitely some whiplash with the mood changes from the canon early on, but it's survivable. I found the later chapters a lot of fun, what with child Ryouga and Nodoka.

Without spoiling who it's going to be, is this meant to be a matchup fic or will it avoid answering that question?
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

I wanted to write out Ranma and Akane becoming genuine friends, but as far as the matchup, I figured it would probably end best with 'implied harem.  If you squint'.  Yeah.

~exploding tag~

Brian

Oh, found a decent one:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4951094/1/Extra_Ordinary_Vision#

Kyon/hilarity ensues, fairly short, I found it amusing.

~exploding tag~

thepanda

Hogyoku ex Machina has updated.

Dracos

Very very lamely updated.  I mean seriously, surrendering ichigo?  A neutralize ichigo plan based on 'hey his family can be captured easily even with super defenses'.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Honestly thought he was going to just kill ulquiorra and bum-rush hueco mundo until the end there.

http://motivateurself.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/hueco-mundo/ <- Something a little less lame.

Anastasia

Read Nocturne by Aondehafka. I'd put it at 6 to 8/10 depending on my mood. More on this later, I'm still digesting the fic and want to reread a few segments.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Brian on June 09, 2011, 01:42:20 AM
I wanted to write out Ranma and Akane becoming genuine friends,

Then you should write it out.  Go on, write more.  :p

The fics I've linked here tend to be either finished or dead.  This one looks like it's still being written, but might be interesting.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6774017/1/Lux_Aeterna

Incidentally, the writer's profile characterizes herself as a "wordslut" yet commits the lose/loose error twice in the first scene.  So I was prepared to stop reading after the first two scenes, but the writing managed to recover itself after that point.

Jon

Brian uses First Glorious Crossover Excellency! The roll succeeds!

thepanda

Quote from: Jason_Miao on June 11, 2011, 05:07:51 PM
The fics I've linked here tend to be either finished or dead.  This one looks like it's still being written, but might be interesting.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6774017/1/Lux_Aeterna

Incidentally, the writer's profile characterizes herself as a "wordslut" yet commits the lose/loose error twice in the first scene.  So I was prepared to stop reading after the first two scenes, but the writing managed to recover itself after that point.

I can't. I keep trying to read this, but I just can't do it. So very much annoying.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: thepanda on June 15, 2011, 07:15:26 PM
I can't. I keep trying to read this, but I just can't do it. So very much annoying.

If you're trying to read the story in order, then yeah.  But pacing is and scene setups are okay in areas spots if poor in others, and the annoying bits feel like first draft issues* rather than someone trying to force a fundamentally bad premise.  e.g, if chapters 1 and 2 were combined together, had some judicious use of flashback, and some judicious editing (scene with Goemon should be dropped entirely), it could be pretty good.

Come to think of it, as I write this post, I suspect the story writer is at the point of writing like Tolkien without really getting why that doesn't work these days.  I don't know that for a fact, of course, and I might be wildly off base, but the pacing feels similar.

*And if I don't treat everything on ff.net like a first draft, then 99% of it is unreadable.