What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on July 12, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
Hahahaha--  Ow, wow, that takes me back.

I must have read the Belgariad like, 10 times growing up....

Likewise. It's fun nostalgia and Eddings is a decent writer.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

DY

A Calvin and Hobbes fic that I find to be an interesting read.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6077764/1/The_Missing_Spark
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Jason_Miao

Speaking of nostalgia, DC's fanfic archive.  I found it since I was looking up Ignorance to use as a reference point for a fic scene I am crafting, and ended up reading through most of the rest.

http://members.shaw.ca/chengdo/

Kind of neat, since it reflects early model fanfic up to early 2000ish.  Also, Life and Times might be the first Ranma-hooks-up-with-the-Universe type fic (although no dates on anything, so who knows?).

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Oh, I remember that.  The fic where the kyuubei is a little brat with cosmic powers.  Funny, but ran past its joke, so I didn't list.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I finished up Belgarath the Sorcerer. It was a nice re-read, as I've always liked Edding's writing as well as Belgarath. It's stock fantasy, but with the writing chops to be entertaining. It's like a good soap opera - yes it's the lowest common denominator, but it's well done and a shining example of what it can be.

I then made some effort to read Polgara the Sorceress. I've never liked Polgara as a character; I mostly read it to fill in a couple of details about the world. I struggles to about page 600 before calling it quits. How the hell did Eddings get to about 700 pages with Belgarath but over 1100 with Polgara, anyway? I suppose it's a matter of detail and how Belgarath tends to gloss over entire centuries, but still.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

I thought the bigger issue with Polgara the Sorceress as a book is that it didn't cover anything that hadn't been explored (at that point) in one or two other books.  I think it had, effectively, like ... a dozen scenes that were interesting and new?  There was a lot about Garion's childhood from before he was able to tell his own story, but I didn't feel that added enough.

Really, the unanswered questions in my mind center around Belgarath's wife, not his daughter.  She's the one who vanished for centuries....

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2011, 01:19:35 AM
I thought the bigger issue with Polgara the Sorceress as a book is that it didn't cover anything that hadn't been explored (at that point) in one or two other books.  I think it had, effectively, like ... a dozen scenes that were interesting and new?  There was a lot about Garion's childhood from before he was able to tell his own story, but I didn't feel that added enough.

Really, the unanswered questions in my mind center around Belgarath's wife, not his daughter.  She's the one who vanished for centuries....

Absolutely, yes. Poledra's story is the interesting one, though I don't think she'd make a good teller of that particular tale. She's the biggest dangling thread left, unless you want to get into the two Purposes or UL. Even then, both of those are fairly well defined and ultimately just background parts to the story.

I do like that Polgara's story confirmed that souls and a probable afterlife exist in the setting. Hell came up in the Mallorean, but none of the characters ever talked about it much. That always struck me as an odd gap in the series, especially one often dealing with the Gods and great prophecies.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

This fic got me depressed enough to leave the fandom:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7087510/1/The_Shadow_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya

Actually, I suppose it's equally the author and the fic....

~exploding tag~

Olvelsper

You should join the Madoka fandom. We like twisting Gen Urobuchi's works on him.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2589971/Ol%27Velsper : Then we will write in the shade.

Brian

From my profile (updated today):
QuoteIn consideration:

Untitled (Puella Madoka): What if Homura were a few steps ahead of Tomoe Mami when she entered Charlotte's barrier? How much difference could result from such an inconsequential thing?

Untitled (Puella Madoka/Ranma 1/2): Totally a parody. My humor writing is very weak, so I'll try and write some jokes. Naturally, this is something of a send-up of all those old Ranma/Sailor Moon crossovers from the late 90s and early 2000s. Ideally, it'll read like a text-format 4koma.

~exploding tag~

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2011, 04:05:47 AM
Untitled (Puella Madoka/Ranma 1/2): Totally a parody. My humor writing is very weak, so I'll try and write some jokes. Naturally, this is something of a send-up of all those old Ranma/Sailor Moon crossovers from the late 90s and early 2000s. Ideally, it'll read like a text-format 4koma.

Instead of a fukufic, we'd call these kyu-fics?  Because 4koma comics are usually cutesy.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.