"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Jason_Miao on August 03, 2011, 09:22:57 PM-edit-
Oh, and Haigeki has a new chapter.

I finally got 'round to reading this. Damn that author can write. No matter what I think of the story, the raw talent shines through.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Hmm.

More Delanda Est.  Kind of a sudden end to the chapter indeed. 
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Good, Good, OhGodEveryoneJustGotMurderized."

I suppose its a good cliffhanger but the fight scene was just so sudden and quick that it's like "Wait, the second big face off between good lead and bad lead was like a minute. 
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

New chapter of Under Review is up.

Halbarad

Quote from: Jason_Miao on August 11, 2011, 01:21:24 AM
The second step is realizing that Reimu cheats in Touhou. And is poor.
If this were actually true, I'd be much better when I play Touhou games.  Or maybe I just suck that badly.

The trick is learning how Reimu cheats. The answer to that is "bomb more".

Alternately, the answer is in the lesser known of her abilities, the power to eat sweets and not get fat. Keeps that hitbox slim.

Quote from: thepanda on August 12, 2011, 10:56:10 PM

Glad you're enjoying, I should probably toss up a topic here for feedback or something.
I am a terrible person.
Excellent Youkai.

Brian

Help me kick some life into the creative writing section. :p

Post it there~!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Jon

Harry Potter and the Heartlands of Time is currently somewhere dangerously near the Chris Carter Danger Zone.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on August 13, 2011, 06:21:09 PM
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/249477.html

Dungeon Keeper Ami updated.

I'm sort of split on DK Ami.  On one hand, it's kind of a pretty neat story.  Ami is a good character for it and they do interesting things with her.  On the other hand, a great deal of it is just talk with a whole lot of OCs.  Like tons.  It drove me out after a while and even peeking back in when it's sort of easier to follow, it's still seems that there's at least one new character every other addition.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Halbarad on August 13, 2011, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: Jason_Miao on August 11, 2011, 01:21:24 AM
The second step is realizing that Reimu cheats in Touhou. And is poor.
If this were actually true, I'd be much better when I play Touhou games.  Or maybe I just suck that badly.

The trick is learning how Reimu cheats. The answer to that is "bomb more".

Alternately, the answer is in the lesser known of her abilities, the power to eat sweets and not get fat. Keeps that hitbox slim.

Quote from: thepanda on August 12, 2011, 10:56:10 PM

Glad you're enjoying, I should probably toss up a topic here for feedback or something.

No.

You should Bomb More. =)

Feedback will be drawn to you.
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

Victory at Ostagar

This is a really good alternate exploration of the Dragon Age story, shifted at the start by the battle of Ostagar being a victory rather than a crushing defeat. The beacon is lit in time, Loghain rides in to crush the embattled darkspawn, King Cailan gets to be all heroic... and in a last gasp assault the darkspawn kill every Grey Warden except for Alistair and Bronwyn Cousland (the Noble Human origin PC). Thus the last two Grey Wardens are tasked with gathering allies and recruiting new wardens, while the army strengthens the fortifications at Ostagar to hold off further waves and keep the Blight from spreading.

With this setup it'd be all too easy to make the journey, well... easy. But it turns out that King Cailan's machinations can be just as perilous as Loghain's were in the original plot, and Arl Howe - cornered and without any support here unlike in the game where he becomes Loghain's right hand - becomes all the more bitter a foe with his back against the wall.

The cast is well developed, with all of the part members from the game, as well as several incidental characters and every other potential origin PC being given a place. The existing characters stay true to their natures, and their actions make sense in the new scenario, and all of the PC characters are given their unique personalities complementary to their origin stories that are every bit as engaging and fun to read about.

It's not complete, but the most recent chapter was on the 1st of August, and at over 330k words long it'll keep you busy a while if you at all enjoyed Dragon Age.

edit: Updated today, nice.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on August 16, 2011, 11:55:49 AMI'm sort of split on DK Ami.  On one hand, it's kind of a pretty neat story.  Ami is a good character for it and they do interesting things with her.  On the other hand, a great deal of it is just talk with a whole lot of OCs.  Like tons.  It drove me out after a while and even peeking back in when it's sort of easier to follow, it's still seems that there's at least one new character every other addition.

Apparently, most everything is from the DK world. It's not OCs as much as using a pair of obscure games to form the backbone of the story.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Huh.  Really?  the Dungeon Keeper games were largely tactical affairs.  The 'forces of light' in the Sunlit kingdom largely just a handful of names, not dozens of characters.  Even googling all I see is that the only named characters are Horny (the Reaper) and King Reginald and his sons.  The vast amount of NPCs in it are just given generic names "Knight", "Fairy", etc.

It's not the type of game where you had lots of named characters, because that would detract from the fantasy of it.  Sure, they're rooted in it, but I'm pretty sure they're all OCs in the same way our D&D characters are.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Ebiris on August 16, 2011, 01:50:18 PM
Victory at Ostagar

This is a really good alternate exploration of the Dragon Age story, shifted at the start by the battle of Ostagar being a victory rather than a crushing defeat. The beacon is lit in time, Loghain rides in to crush the embattled darkspawn, King Cailan gets to be all heroic... and in a last gasp assault the darkspawn kill every Grey Warden except for Alistair and Bronwyn Cousland (the Noble Human origin PC). Thus the last two Grey Wardens are tasked with gathering allies and recruiting new wardens, while the army strengthens the fortifications at Ostagar to hold off further waves and keep the Blight from spreading.

With this setup it'd be all too easy to make the journey, well... easy. But it turns out that King Cailan's machinations can be just as perilous as Loghain's were in the original plot, and Arl Howe - cornered and without any support here unlike in the game where he becomes Loghain's right hand - becomes all the more bitter a foe with his back against the wall.

The cast is well developed, with all of the part members from the game, as well as several incidental characters and every other potential origin PC being given a place. The existing characters stay true to their natures, and their actions make sense in the new scenario, and all of the PC characters are given their unique personalities complementary to their origin stories that are every bit as engaging and fun to read about.

It's not complete, but the most recent chapter was on the 1st of August, and at over 330k words long it'll keep you busy a while if you at all enjoyed Dragon Age.

edit: Updated today, nice.

That's a neat notion.  I've been wavery on reading DA fanfiction, but that's a good pitch for some.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on August 16, 2011, 06:29:22 PM
Huh.  Really?  the Dungeon Keeper games were largely tactical affairs.  The 'forces of light' in the Sunlit kingdom largely just a handful of names, not dozens of characters.  Even googling all I see is that the only named characters are Horny (the Reaper) and King Reginald and his sons.  The vast amount of NPCs in it are just given generic names "Knight", "Fairy", etc.

It's not the type of game where you had lots of named characters, because that would detract from the fantasy of it.  Sure, they're rooted in it, but I'm pretty sure they're all OCs in the same way our D&D characters are.

I could be wrong, this is second-hand information.

To be honest it hasn't bothered me, since the focus stays mostly on Ami.
<Afina> Forever.