Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on August 29, 2011, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: Dracos on August 29, 2011, 10:03:25 PM
I'll have to read that later.  I glanced briefly this morning and skimmed and it looked like it genre bounced the main characters.  "Btw, Now you are morally ambiguous for property destruction and there's swat goons".   Hope I mis-saw as that really drives me up a wall.  I'm fine with "Mass damage is not acceptable' from the get-go, but not swapping it up after  they do epic city save.

I'm okay with this. From the beginning the battles have been overwhelmingly destructive and the last big battle was so insane that things can't be reasonably tolerated. I see it as a natural result of what's happened.

Mmm, well, it wasn't as bad a genre bounce I was expecting.  I'm fine with how things went, and it is kind of establishing the bad guys as capable of being very bad as well.

Was kind of surprised that usagi didn't step in sooner.  It felt weird since they really did do a great job of deducing the plot, identifying the signs and otherwise having the necessary cards in front, but instead it was still handled as a post thing.  I think I would've liked it better if the Scouts had a few fewer cards (making it less an obvious thing) and put the rest together after or simply shut down the youma before Rui got crippled.  Usagi put together Jadeite's stunts earlier off of far less obvious information than the massive wave they unearthed on Nephrite's stunt.  Sure, it shows the good guys losing a pass...but it felt a bit forced of a loss.  A "Loss needs to be here, so you will make the wrong choice here."
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Brian's Motivation.

Chapter 5 made me laugh so hard I nearly died.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

YES!

My fics are killing words!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3505392/11/Hell_is_a_Martial_Artist

Hell is a Martial Artist updated.

It wasn't what I was expecting, let's just leave it at that. I suppose it makes sense with how he's glazed over canon events before, but that seemed to be so obviously be set up to be the flashpoint.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

thepanda

Dracos

hmm.  Kind of a weak chapter.  It moves things laterally really.  Sets up a potential fight of the week, but not an antagonist.  And yeah, seems like it was a missed opportunity there.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: thepanda on August 31, 2011, 06:25:07 PM
Felt like treading water.

This. The ANs said that chapter 11 was forth coming, it's possible he just has two chapters lined up back to back. Hopefully this was just a set up for a livelier chapter 11, I wanna see shit happen already.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

~exploding tag~

Jon

It gets worse.

http://www.chez-vrolet.net/pipermail/ffml/2011-August/003157.html

(Well, technically, it already got worse, since he posted the 'sequel' first.)

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

It indeed, got worse.

But, hey, Kyonko's plight escalated to Kyon getting a kick in the balls, too!  Haruhi insists that before he can enter a life of servitude to her, he has to find/make a bigger diamond than a reality warper made!  At least she's....

No, no, no.

This is all standard Cobbian bullshit.  As he writes it: Haruhi is not a character with any likable redeeming qualities.  All events conspire to make Kyon the butt of a joke.  ALL OF THEM.

Ugh.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2822350/1/Fission

Usagi and Ranma collide during their respective transformations. As a result, aspects of both worlds begin to creep in and mimic each other. It's a crazy, insane and oddly entertaining ride. It's only loosely a crossover, as things happen in the same world but things are mostly kept to each side.

I'm not sure what the fuck Megaman as a magical girl is doing in it, or what Kodachi is doing as Protogirl - read as Protoman from Megaman as a magical girl. It's that sort of fic.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

I didn't know there was El Goonish Shive fanfiction.

thepanda

Did Olguin mention Eureka chapter 2 was up as well as an Into the Void omake/short chaptery-thing?