News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

I gave another glance at "A Time Apart".  Too bad that's been stalled for ages.  Team badass lead by Setsuna against "Za World" just seems like it has fun potential.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6359442/1/Familiars_of_Zero

Warning: Extremely repetitive!

The premise is that each chapter is a "what if Louise summoned...?" The writing isn't bad, but it is a bit much to go through in a single read. Id recommend scrolling down to the author notes to find out who the crossover character is so you can see if you want to read that one or skip it. There are also several OCs there.

Anastasia

Quote from: Jon on September 10, 2011, 09:34:43 PM
Inviolate

What would you do if you discovered your personality, your entire existence, had been engineered, for the sole purpose of making you into a (relatively) harmless nuisance?

If you're Lex Luthor, you find the people responsible. And then you make them pay.

I read that for awhile, until about halfway through? It's not bad but it didn't really keep my attention. The scene in Starbucks where Luthor confronts Wayne is absolutely awesome and hilarious, though.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Claymade's Dark Lords Strike Back got updated!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on September 12, 2011, 06:17:01 PM
Claymade's Dark Lords Strike Back got updated!

Yes.

I'm pretty down on this fic, as it's gone in a direction I dislike. The eternal sense that canon has a mandate to stay on track for both series, despite what's happened, turns me off big time. So does the time skip.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

http://rankofics.99k.org/host/Ranko/a_pandas_dream.txt

How I got to a site named rankofics is a fair question. It's roughly equivalent to when you wake up in on the roof of a whorehouse in Tijuana - you have no idea what the fuck happened, but it must have been an awesome night. That said, this is a nice and surreal fic. It's sort of dreamy and removed from Ranma 1/2 proper. It's just...out there.
<Afina> Forever.

Jon

Quote from: Anastasia on September 14, 2011, 03:58:10 AM
It's roughly equivalent to when you wake up in on the roof of a whorehouse in Tijuana - you have no idea what the fuck happened, but it must have been an awesome night.

You might want to doublecheck you still have both your kidneys, though.

Brian

Going through the tvtropes recommended stories for Haruhi ... offering some reviews on some of them.  I think ... the only new one is this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/reviews.php?target_group=FanficRecs&target_title=You+Got+HaruhiRolled%21#4670

Which pretty much sums it up.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

sarsaparilla

Quote from: Brian on September 14, 2011, 10:14:37 PMWhich pretty much sums it up.

You have just rediscovered the Dunning-Kruger Effect :) Combined with Sturgeon's Law it yields the Critic's Corollary which is the actual issue here. The D-K effect is an amazing concept, there's hardly a social phenomenon that it doesn't explain...

On a side note, I feel humbled by your favorable reviews of my works.

Brian

Quote from: sarsaparilla on September 15, 2011, 04:22:20 AMDunning-Kruger Effect :)
Ooh!  Learned something new today. :3
Quote from: sarsaparilla on September 15, 2011, 04:22:20 AMCombined with Sturgeon's Law it yields the Critic's Corollary which is the actual issue here. The D-K effect is an amazing concept, there's hardly a social phenomenon that it doesn't explain...
I keep forgetting that part.  That's something to think about.
Quote from: sarsaparilla on September 15, 2011, 04:22:20 AMOn a side note, I feel humbled by your favorable reviews of my works.
As much as you want the endorsement of someone who uses characters like Kyubei and Haruhi as an avatar. ;)

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: sarsaparilla on September 15, 2011, 04:22:20 AM
Quote from: Brian on September 14, 2011, 10:14:37 PMWhich pretty much sums it up.

You have just rediscovered the Dunning-Kruger Effect :) Combined with Sturgeon's Law it yields the Critic's Corollary which is the actual issue here. The D-K effect is an amazing concept, there's hardly a social phenomenon that it doesn't explain...

On a side note, I feel humbled by your favorable reviews of my works.

You are correct. Dunning-Kruger explains almost everything, doesn't it?
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Brian on September 15, 2011, 11:56:08 AM
As much as you want the endorsement of someone who uses characters like Kyubei and Haruhi as an avatar. ;)

*cough*

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://rankofics.99k.org/host/Ranko/monkey-head-butting.txt

So yeah, woke up on the roof of a Tijuana whorehouse again. Who needs kidneys? Anyway, that fic there isn't bad. It's a fun premise that has Ranma and Kasumi switch bodies. Naturally hijinks ensue and people try to adapt and fix the transference.

Spoiler: ShowHide

The fic wasn't bad at first. The first three or four parts were focused on Ranma and Kasumi, which lead to some good character work and scenes. It was fun seeing Kasumi deal with Ranma's life and all the shenanigans it brings. Ranma was a contrast, as he was miserable to the core. Frankly, that fic made me want to throw Genma and Soun into a bonfire, let alone Nabiki. Despite that it worked well for what it was.

It was around the fight with Mousse that things got out of hand. Bodyswapping started happening, the story got a dose of Ranma/Akane that wasn't there before and things generally strayed from what made the fic interesting in the first place. Fair disclaimer: I can't stand Ranma/Akane so I'm not unbiased here. That said, I felt those choices really sabotaged what made me read it in the first place. Ranma and Kasumi switching bodies? This is interesting and the contrast of their situations makes for a good read. The fic turning into a body swap royale and with different characters in the focus? That was far less entertaining. It's more or less authentic to the manga, which is a compliment and a curse at once. Yeah, I can see this story playing out just about the way it did if Takahashi wrote it...except that at first, the author had something interesting going on. He tossed it away, more is the pity.

I'd give it a 5/10? Interesting start, weak middle and finish.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

I was going to post a link to some horrible classic Ranma fanfic.

And then I realized Dune had already read them all.

...dangit.

~exploding tag~