News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Speaking of dimension hopping, I like Sleeping with the Girls, because it does four amusing things:

• The dimension hopping is uncontrollable, happening whenever the protagonist falls asleep.
  • He lands in bed with a girl in the new universe, which has obvious comedy potential.
  • There's only about six worlds he goes to, and they loop around.
  • He can make changes to the worlds' plots, both by accident and on purpose. Most notably, he's managed to completely derail Sailor Moon season 1's plot.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

I'll take ABORT ABORT FUCKING ABORT THIS SHIT IS GONNA BLOW for 500, Alex.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Yeah, I passed it over on principle as well.  I can't say much to defend it, but it is (evidently) highly recommended.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jon

I don't think it's actually a self-insert; more of a Original Character who's similar but not identical to the author. He is, however, a lot like Iddy in some ways.

That being said, it's still fun (but mostly only for the parts where I know the series jumped into; Those Who Hunt Elves and Nanoha Strikers are sort of blurry).

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on November 29, 2011, 12:03:59 AM
Mmm, I've seen that recc'd several times.  Had trouble getting over the beginning.  Namingly, Kakashi being unable to deliver a reasonable lie or just telling the truth.  I suppose I never read past chapter 1 though at that.

I am sometimes oddly tolerant.  How else would I have read so much terrible fanfiction to ECB back in the day.  Like the fic you linked, sometimes it's worth giving a couple chapters to see if it pulls out of a nose-dive.

Oh.  Just for the record then, my synopsis was completely tongue in cheek.  It's pretty much just a parody on "2nd chance" fics.

If you're going to try to read through it just on my recommendation, no sense in starting with the wrong mindset.

Dracos

Reading it while sleepy actually resulted in enjoying it.  It is a crummy fic, but it has fun with being a crummy fic and once it hits its stride keeps a reasonable amount of humor going around the screwing with things.  It has not yet released a 'And time travel went terrible' and looks to be complete?, which puts it actually above every other time travel fic save ShaperV's sakura timetravel fic.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Jon on November 29, 2011, 02:50:43 AM
I don't think it's actually a self-insert; more of a Original Character who's similar but not identical to the author. He is, however, a lot like Iddy in some ways.

That being said, it's still fun (but mostly only for the parts where I know the series jumped into; Those Who Hunt Elves and Nanoha Strikers are sort of blurry).

About my opinion. For all it has some flaws - the first SM jump comes to mind - it's a fun fic. That puts it above 99.99% of self inserts, so credit to the author.
<Afina> Forever.

thepanda

I believe the term is 'author avatar'.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on November 28, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
Wanderer updated, but it's only semi-coherent.

That's not even close to semi-coherent.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Forever was cute.  Went and watched some MLP after it.
Well, Goodbye.