What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Amorously Minded has updated. I think people were reading this one?

Anastasia

Quote from: thepanda on January 09, 2012, 09:37:33 AM
Amorously Minded has updated. I think people were reading this one?

I was. I need to catch up on it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/251967.html

Dungeon Keeper Ami updated.

---

Pasting this from IRC in case this rings a bell for anyone.

In one fic I read Nodoka had been paying the bills by working in a magic trinket store. It was hinted pretty strongly she knew about Jusenkyo but let it ride until Ranma was ready. - To elaborate I think it was at some sort of festival or carnival. Can anyone identify what fic that's in? It's been gnawing at me. Thinking about it, I think she calls Ranko Ranma once but both sort of nervously put it aside as a slip of the tongue.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

After I mentioned that someone else suggested I write a Haruhi/Daria crossover, Ko found this link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2664701/1/Is_It_Doom_Yet

Finished the first chapter, am highly amused.

Ko: No recall on that Ranma concept outside of 'Ranma, if you're a girl, all your problems will be solved!' fics.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2012, 02:55:24 AM
After I mentioned that someone else suggested I write a Haruhi/Daria crossover, Ko found this link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2664701/1/Is_It_Doom_Yet

Finished the first chapter, am highly amused.

Ko: No recall on that Ranma concept outside of 'Ranma, if you're a girl, all your problems will be solved!' fics.

The first story isn't bad, but the sequels aren't very good. It moves too breezily and ten year timeskips hurt a lot.
<Afina> Forever.

Brian

Mm, in that case I'll stop having read just that; I could feel the 'breezily' aspect in what I read.  Better to end it on a positive note if it's going to go downhill; guilty pleasure only goes so far. :p
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Quote from: Brian on January 15, 2012, 05:51:33 PM
Mm, in that case I'll stop having read just that; I could feel the 'breezily' aspect in what I read.  Better to end it on a positive note if it's going to go downhill; guilty pleasure only goes so far. :p

I think I'd have been happier if I did that. It's a Daria fic with a few elements of Marvel dashed in for flavor. I also don't quite agree with the take on Doom in the last story, but that's not implausible, just arguable.
<Afina> Forever.

Kt3

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Awesomeness

Summary from author's profile: "Lelouch Lamperouge, genius, warrior, leader, lover, and all-around badass goes through his morning workout routine, inspects his vast collection of hi-tech weaponry and greets his many girlfriends. Parody of common fanfiction cliches."

Quite accurate.  Short read and amusing.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Dracos

Those who hunt monsters updated.

Summary:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Bad Girl: "You are  the real monsters.  That's hot.  Sexings.  Also my boss wants to recruit you for being extra scary."
Hero: "Even though I'm human?"
Bad Girl "Yeah, you should start keeping trophies for all the people you're murdering.  You totally belong here in horrible monster school because you're a horrible monster of a human.  Also was those poisons next to your bed meant for me?"
Hero: "Yes.   I'll get some bed stuff for you.  See you tonight."
Werewolf: You're scary.  You can kill anyone.
Hero: Don't worry, I won't murder you all for running with me.  We're buds.  Also I totally fucked that girl.

Didn't really go anywhere but at the same time it was a nice cool down chapter from the "They just did WHAT?" of the last chapter (Did not see that  one coming at all).

Depending on your tolerance for "Did Not See That Coming" horrible scenes, I actually do kinda recommend this up through that last chapter.  It's a solid antithesis for the original work in that regard.  "He who befriends many monsters" versus "He who kills them to survive."  It has none of the playful fun of Big Human on Campus, but the author got balls with how he writes, and does manage the most recent character death epically.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

A part of me wishes that fic hadn't been an AU of Tsukune 'didn't become friends with Moka', but covering the story of Hokuto (the class prez guy) as we know that in canon, Hokuto pretty much had a life much like Tsukune's current one. This version admittedly gets some extra shock value out of what it does with characters we're more familiar with.

I do wonder if Akua will make an early appearance given what's happened or if the author will somewhat keep to 'schedule' and not introduce any season 2 characters. I think it'd be kind of cheap if there wasn't any major repercussions of the last chapter, but who knows?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Merc on January 23, 2012, 11:00:56 PM
A part of me wishes that fic hadn't been an AU of Tsukune 'didn't become friends with Moka', but covering the story of Hokuto (the class prez guy) as we know that in canon, Hokuto pretty much had a life much like Tsukune's current one. This version admittedly gets some extra shock value out of what it does with characters we're more familiar with.
"Hokuto's Saga" could make a good story, at the end of the day, he's still a monster.  It wouldn't have the same impact as "lone, weak human, struggling to hide amongst monsters."

Something I wonder is if this fic would still be an interesting read if I wasn't already familiar with Rosario.  I suspect it would be, although there is a great deal of plot-nuance that I'd surely miss.

Merc

Quote"Hokuto's Saga" could make a good story, at the end of the day, he's still a monster.
This is sort of wrong. While, yes, he IS a monster, he's also a former human.

Tsukune in the manga became a vampire/ghoul hybrid through Moka's blood injections. Hokuto likewise became a hybrid monster through Kiria's blood injections. Both keep their monster half under control through a holy lock.

Hokuto also didn't become a monster immediately after ending up in school, he actually attracted Kiria's attention by surviving as a human and somehow showing off a superior attitude in spite of that, surviving solely on his intellect, martial arts and determination to survive.

Some relevant pages: Ch 33 pages 32, Ch 34 pages 17-19, pages 40-41.

Basically, Hokuto's story in canon very strongly mirrors Tsukune's in this story, except replace 'intellect' for 'luck', 'martial arts' for 'runs real fast', and Kiria for Keito. As long as Tsukune doesn't become a monster hybrid in the end, this could stay different, but the similarities really are there.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Merc on January 24, 2012, 10:18:54 PM
Quote"Hokuto's Saga" could make a good story, at the end of the day, he's still a monster.
This is sort of wrong. While, yes, he IS a monster, he's also a former human.
Yes, but you're missing my point.  Tsukune is human, because that's what he was in chapter 1.  Even if he does become a part-time zombie of destruction half way through manga series 1.  Hokuto is a monster, because when we first meet him he's the well-established group-hug student council president.

A story about Hokuto has to follow more along the lines of a classic tragedy, because we know he is fated to become a monster.  There isn't a question of "How will Hokuto retain his humanity?  How can Hokuto remain himself?" - after all, he won't.    It's essentially the same plot, but since the original characters are presented to the reader in such different contexts, using Hokuto wouldn't nearly have the same impact as Tsukune.

I don't dislike the tragic angle (although it tends to be unpopular in general), so I'd still think it'd be an interesting story.

-Edit-
Yay for putting modifiers next to what they're actually supposed to modify.

VySaika

I'm not familiar with Rosario at all, but I'm still finding it a very good read overall. Some points of "huh?" here and there, but it's still entertaining.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Grahf

I recently decided to read Luminosity. Since I had to read Twilight for a Popular Literature class a couple of years back I actually had something to compare it to.

It was an okay read, although in replacing Bella with a rationalist version of herself I can't help but help like they've just traded one Mary Sue for another which happens to be less bland. Of course:

Spoiler: ShowHide
Near the end of Luminosity when Bella's actions come back to bite her and by extension everyone else she loves in the ass I felt it was mitigated somewhat, if only a little.

The sequel, Radiance, wasn't bad either, but I can't say that it blew me away either. Both were better than the source material, but that's not a bar set very high in my opinion so I can't exactly give them many accolades on that account.

Still, if anyone here enjoys Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality this might be worth looking at.