News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Quote from: Brian on April 05, 2012, 01:28:58 AM
A Harry Potter Peggy Sue fic:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4536005/1/Oh_God_Not_Again

Surprisingly fun.  I wish that the secondary character with Harry had gotten a bit more screentime earlier, but the later chapters are really amusing anyway.

I enjoyed this quite thoroughly.  :)
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

Lancer gets Serious

A neat Fate/Stay Night fic I've been reading. Kotomine decides to spice up the grail war by ordering Lancer to kill all the other servants, so everyone's favourite unlucky blue dog gets a chance to fight to his heart's content without holding back. But this isn't a 'yay lancer check out how awesome he would be if he wasn't holding back' fic, his bad luck remains in full force. The plot veers well away from any one route with how Lancer manages to muck up proceedings, and it's a fun ride with some good matchups we never saw in the VN.

JonBob

Quote from: Brian on April 05, 2012, 01:28:58 AM
A Harry Potter Peggy Sue fic:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4536005/1/Oh_God_Not_Again

I found this very entertaining. Also, a lot of Luna time is a good time!

Quote from: Ebiris on April 10, 2012, 04:55:00 PM
Lancer gets Serious

A good action read. Poor Lancer. Being Lancer is suffering.

Jon

Mass Effect: Circular updated. Heading down the familiar Landsman route of continuity snarl. If he can keep it from dissolving into a puddle of Ree, though, we got a shot at this.

Kt3

Rise of the Wizards by Teufel1987, a Harry Potter fic.

I'll admit, I wasn't that hooked getting into it, a bit put off by cliches but hanging on because it wasn't *so* horrible... but then I saw how he was handling and integrating said cliches.  About halfway through, maybe somewhere around the double digits of the chapters, I saw that he was integrating very common tropes and fanfiction cliches, but also doing a fairly good job of portraying people as human and three-dimensional, and not flat characters.

This leads to some complicated shenanigans happening.

Anyway, I've been really enjoying it particularly because I've been keeping a tally of all the cliches handled.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Anastasia

<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Brian

Kara came back to the FFML!

I was going to C&C this:

http://www.chez-vrolet.net/pipermail/ffml/2012-April/003481.html

But it was just too awful.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Some interesting things in that chapter.  A lot more skipping around than I'd like, especially at the last two bits.  I'm a little confused at where the phoenix came from but that could be not reading for a while.

Overall good, but disappointing that it didn't address the opening paradigm.  We don't get the answer to Ilyi's opener at all.
Well, Goodbye.

Jon

It also got MageOhki to crawl out of his tomb. Horrors!

Brian

I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on April 20, 2012, 02:04:04 AM
Her War updated, comments after I read it.
Transitional chapter.  Nothing amazingly exciting happens here, but considering that the last chapter ended on a nuke, it would be a mistake to throw in more action.  Still felt a little short, though.

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
Kara came back to the FFML!
Since I'm not subbed at the moment, someone please say hello to Kara for me.

Quote from: Jon on April 20, 2012, 06:07:28 PM
It also got MageOhki to crawl out of his tomb. Horrors!
Him too, although I realize that most people in #sr aren't particularly fond of Mage.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5496423/29/Second_Bloom

IIRC, Merc was the one who introduced this to me right after I'd finished with ShaperV's Time Braid as a Naruto story involving time travel that is not particularly good and not particularly bad.  But it recently updated, so there's that.

Anastasia

Quote from: Jason_Miao on April 20, 2012, 08:47:42 PMTransitional chapter.  Nothing amazingly exciting happens here, but considering that the last chapter ended on a nuke, it would be a mistake to throw in more action.  Still felt a little short, though.

Agreed. I think this can be written off to the author joining the military and trying to catch up for boot camp enforced absences. The most important part is the Tsingstao characterization, the rest of it feels like table setting. I like that he's an utter bastard, but one that's sort of understandable occasionally. He's really the best character in the fic, I think.

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/253947.html

Dungeon Keeper Ami updated. A few interesting things going on, but it's mostly diplo mop up from the entire exploding temple brouhaha. At least the dwarf subplot is starting to blossom.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Uh.  Zen sits on the same server as us, as far as I know.  But wasn't really a him.  Just stopped writing I thought.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Summoning the Sun

A familiar of Zero/Okami crossover. Chapter five has a really good action scene.

Jon

Mass Effect: Circular updated. Answered one question, raised two more, and had a lot of weirdness. So, par for the course for Landsmann.