News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arakawa

Quote from: Brian on August 20, 2012, 08:17:37 PM
Seven paragraphs.  The "I'm trying to write sci-fi!" was trying too hard.

Couldn't handle it.

Well, at least on the Internet no one can hear you scream.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Eh.  Good for sharing but kinda weak.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

If this is a one-shot, the story sets up a few themes where it doesn't follow through.  The parting words of advice "Don't be greedy", and the glossing over of the change from mugger to mogul (stuff happened) seemed like they should have been built upon, but weren't.

If this is the intro to a longer story, then it makes sense to keep those as future hooks, but then I'm not sure why this is a Ranma story.  All the Ranma characters, save one, is dead, and that one is on his way out.  So far, this isn't a story about martial arts, a romantic comedy, of one last honor debt that needs to be cleared by a Saotome, etc.  The way this chapter ends, the only real tie to Ranma seems to be the curse- something that given the futuristic setting, could have been swapped with a number of alternatives to drive whatever plot MB wants to develop.

Wasn't bad, but doesn't feel like it's as polished as some of his other stories.

Kt3

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 by Sir Poley is about a genre-savvy, fourth-wall-breaking D&D munchkin who finds himself summoned to the Harry Potter world.  Ends up being a really lighthearted comedy where everyone thinks everyone else is planning something dire and complicated (which of course they aren't).

It was a fun read even though I don't know too much about D&D.

Edit: Now the link's working!
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Dracos

Quote from: Jason_Miao on August 21, 2012, 01:04:24 PM
If this is a one-shot, the story sets up a few themes where it doesn't follow through.  The parting words of advice "Don't be greedy", and the glossing over of the change from mugger to mogul (stuff happened) seemed like they should have been built upon, but weren't.

If this is the intro to a longer story, then it makes sense to keep those as future hooks, but then I'm not sure why this is a Ranma story.  All the Ranma characters, save one, is dead, and that one is on his way out.  So far, this isn't a story about martial arts, a romantic comedy, of one last honor debt that needs to be cleared by a Saotome, etc.  The way this chapter ends, the only real tie to Ranma seems to be the curse- something that given the futuristic setting, could have been swapped with a number of alternatives to drive whatever plot MB wants to develop.

Wasn't bad, but doesn't feel like it's as polished as some of his other stories.

Well, quite a number of folks use anime characters as a fanfiction opening when they're really doing short/poor original fiction.
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

Quote from: thepanda on August 23, 2012, 08:28:39 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Natural_20

This is fun and I'm enjoying it although the claim that Malfoy Mansion in Wiltshire was in walking distance of Hogwarts in the Highlands almost made me stop... (two posts up, Panda!)

thepanda

Quote(two posts up, Panda!)

That link isn't working.

Dracos

Been reading Touhou doujin.  Don't have the links handy but...

The Cursed Video and Gensokyou.

...Man my memory for titles is crummy.  I'll get 'em and links later.
Well, Goodbye.

Brian

First was "The Cursed Video Came to Gensokyo", which is about Sadako from The Ring ending up among the Touhous.  Amusing, if incomplete (currently).

The other one was, "The Flower that Follows the Sun", which was a Yuuka-centric doujin about Yuuka finding a chibi version of herself in her garden one morning.  Hilarity ensues, right up until it doesn't.  I've read it twice this week, and thought it was quite moving.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

I especially like that I can get an e-mail from FF.Net, wait a few hours, and then see a discussion about that update e-mail right here.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Ashikabi no Shinobi

It wants to be In Flight with Naruto so bad. But no. I couldn't get through the first chapter.

Dracos

Naruto is often attempted (badly) for setting transplants.  For the most part he doesn't seem like he'd work without his setting that well since his background and goals are so tied into it.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

Quote from: Dracos on August 28, 2012, 06:31:31 PM
Naruto is often attempted (badly) for setting transplants.  For the most part he doesn't seem like he'd work without his setting that well since his background and goals are so tied into it.

Like Luffy.

Dracos

Eh.  Luffy seems more transplantable, in as much as he starts legitimately alone in a wild world.  That wild world can contain many other worldsettings within it.

Naruto starts in a city as part of an organization.  Most transplants that work at all just place it as 'post series' which in turn would have him already having dealt with world conquering terrors.
Well, Goodbye.