News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Brian

I found that fic amusing.

I get the idea I'd give up on the manga if I were reading it in the first place.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Dracos on March 06, 2013, 07:07:21 PM
I wandered over to Veiled Moon, the author's only big work.

I think I'm 120,000 words in?  Still kind of waiting for it to go...anywhere?

<snip>

Ah, so it's a "no plot" writer.  I'm almost sorry I suggested that you read the other fics...except that you probably kept me from wasting time reading the new fic and waiting for something to happen, so I'm glad you warned me.

I get the idea I'd give up on the manga if I were reading it in the first place.
I tried reading the Bleach manga when it was first being translated, but gave up even before people visited Soul Society (or I think that's what it was called).  A few years later, they were showing the anime on TV and I tried watching it, but couldn't last through the ep.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of conventional Shonen manga stories, so if you are, feel free to disregard everything I just said.

Brian

I used to think I liked shounen, but lately, I haven't at all liked the examples I've been encountering.

I guess I'm just pro-nakama?
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Yay Pro-nakama.
Go Fairy-Tail and One Piece.  Still running strong.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Jason_Miao on March 07, 2013, 09:33:14 PM
Quote from: Dracos on March 06, 2013, 07:07:21 PM
I wandered over to Veiled Moon, the author's only big work.

I think I'm 120,000 words in?  Still kind of waiting for it to go...anywhere?

<snip>

Ah, so it's a "no plot" writer.  I'm almost sorry I suggested that you read the other fics...except that you probably kept me from wasting time reading the new fic and waiting for something to happen, so I'm glad you warned me.

It started going somewhere a little after that, but by then who cares?  It literally took like a hundred thousand words to get them to the point.  And even still it goes almost nowhere and spends almost all of it's time on slice of life.  There's little directionality to any of the characters, except an original sekerei who seems to have one direction: Be an incorrect violent bitch.  Yay for producing conflict through characters being unable to hold meaningful conversations.

I tried reading the Bleach manga when it was first being translated, but gave up even before people visited Soul Society (or I think that's what it was called).  A few years later, they were showing the anime on TV and I tried watching it, but couldn't last through the ep.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of conventional Shonen manga stories, so if you are, feel free to disregard everything I just said.
[/quote]

It's a bad manga.  I think I largely still read it for the same reason naruto gets read: It gets packaged alongside things I like.  And on a more simplistic level: It has people swinging swords violently.

Yup, not claiming it's not simple barbaricism.

The story is terrible though.  And unlike Naruto, it doesn't really set up an interesting worldset to play.  The 4 groups in it really don't have a cohesive shared set of world rules that they're playing by, unless you edit it quite a bit, and the entire afterlife concept seems like it is missing several things.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9085689/1/A-Series-of-Simple-Plans

In which Shirou gets a good idea that loses something in translation. Funny little start to a potentially amusing story.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Mmm, must be a slow month.

I read all of: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2636963/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Nightmares-of-Futures-Past

Mmm.  It's interesting, but also a pretty straightforward peggy-sue type setup.   It's more by the trope/wishfic than Delande Est, and that includes the general effectiveness of the time traveler's strategies, but it's not a bad read.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9044833/1/My-Love-s-Flame

Ranma/Sailor Moon. Before the China trip and before SM season 1, Genma drops Ranma off at Rei's shrine for several months. It's an okay crossover so far, slow moving and taking its time. It updates every week or so.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on March 22, 2013, 07:53:32 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9044833/1/My-Love-s-Flame

Quote from: fic
Though she still scowled, the tilt of her eyebrows and the pout of her red lips made her still look pretty, in a dangerous sort of way.
...wut?

I'll keep reading, but the quality of prose already has some interesting characteristics. :)

-edit-

Quote from: chapter 2
"Hello there, gentlemen," she said with a smile, her thoughts of her misfortune at the market disappearing in seconds. "Would you be interested in the finest of bird foods?"

Heh.  You forgot to mention that this is a spoof.

...it IS a spoof, right?

Anastasia

I have no idea.

There's not a lot of good stuff going on in Ranma fanfics right now, so I'll take what I can get. I confess it's a guilty pleasure.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6052381/27/Sleeping-With-The-Girls-Vol-II-Chaos-Theory

Sleeping with the girls finally updated. In which there are breakdowns and breakthroughs.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Kariya's Legacy is a pretty neat Fate/Stay Night story. During the 4th war Shinji has a chance to meet his uncle Kariya while he's still young and innocent, which impresses on him how horrible the Matou magic is, and a desire to protect his new sister. It's not terribly far in yet, but I really like how Shinji manages to retain his proper teenage arrogance while tempering it with determination to become stronger so he can kill Zouken. Also it puts neat spins on his relationships with Shirou and Rin that are familiar on the surface but quite different underneath.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on March 23, 2013, 01:13:57 AM
There's not a lot of good stuff going on in Ranma fanfics right now, so I'll take what I can get. I confess it's a guilty pleasure.

Fair enough.  You ought to see some of the Ranma fics I've read(1).

That said, I read through chapter 4, and I don't think this is a spoof after all.  I think "Hello there, gentlemen.  Would you be interested in the finest of bird foods?" is legitimately the most ridicuous prose I've ever seen without the writer intentionally trying to be ridiculous.  So, the day you posted that fic is a red letter day in my book.

(1) ...No, on a second thought, you shouldn't see some of the Ranma fics I've read.