News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezantis

Quote from: Jason_Miao on March 28, 2013, 10:41:44 PM
Quote from: Rezantis on March 26, 2013, 08:12:09 PM
http://parahumans.wordpress.com/about/

Just spent the last two or three days reading this.  Most writers who write a story tracking the villain in a superhero setting are either way too melodramatic, or try too hard to be cool.  I think this one hits the right note.

That's totally a spoiler, but it's kind of a late arrival spoiler.  It threads that needle quite well, as you say.

The biggest issue the story has is pacing - at times, especially later on, there's just too much happening and the action is unrelenting.  But then, it is a web -serial- as opposed to a novel.

I strongly recommend at least giving it a look - but if you don't like it at the start you probably won't like it later.
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Rezantis on March 30, 2013, 08:31:23 AM
That's totally a spoiler, but it's kind of a late arrival spoiler.

Is it?  Except for the opinion part, I didn't think I said anything that wasn't already said in the "About" section.  But if you think I ought to, I'd be happy to throw in spoiler BBcode around my previous post.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9046817/2/Random-Act-Of-Love

Random Act of Love updated. Did not see that coming.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Miya and Tofu? Huh. Credit for surprising me.

Liked the chapter overall. It was set up but it was fun setup.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8118551/9/On-The-Wings-Of-An-Eagle

Wings of an Eagle updated. Fun chapter, this story's always enjoyable to read.
<Afina> Forever.

Grahf

Quote from: Anastasia on March 29, 2013, 07:23:39 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8162862/1/Bringer-of-Death

A DBZ fanfic? Have I lost my mind? (Yes.)

Bringer of Death is a DBZ that focuses on Vegeta. The premise is that he goes SSJ against Frieza's fourth form instead of getting demolished. It deals with that and manages to weave a reasonably interesting tale around it. It isn't entirely Vegeta-centric and veers away from becoming wanky after the fic finds its legs. The author's done a staggering amount of work in figuring out how DBZ power levels should work and then making them work. Managing to untangle that mess and make something coherent out of them gets respect from me. Also, it at least tries a little more than canon to keep the non-Saiyans relevant. For example, Krillin's power level is over 250 million as of the current chapter (early Cell). Granted, this isn't hard to do considering how the show itself leaves them behind.

I'd say it's worth trying, though the first dozen chapters are shorter and rougher than the rest.

I've actually been following this one for a while. It and Honor Trip are pretty much the only two Dragon Ball Z fics that I follow. Both are good in their own ways. I do have to agree that the improvement in quality after the first chapters is quite noticeable though, I think that after soloing the first dozen that he got a partner and betas, so the quality took a large upturn. Plus, as far as I can tell he's pretty damn consistent in updating every week, which is nice.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on April 01, 2013, 02:30:20 AM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8118551/9/On-The-Wings-Of-An-Eagle

Wings of an Eagle updated. Fun chapter, this story's always enjoyable to read.

Just caught that this morning.  A good chapter indeed.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Grahf on April 01, 2013, 04:54:39 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 29, 2013, 07:23:39 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8162862/1/Bringer-of-Death

A DBZ fanfic? Have I lost my mind? (Yes.)

Bringer of Death is a DBZ that focuses on Vegeta. The premise is that he goes SSJ against Frieza's fourth form instead of getting demolished. It deals with that and manages to weave a reasonably interesting tale around it. It isn't entirely Vegeta-centric and veers away from becoming wanky after the fic finds its legs. The author's done a staggering amount of work in figuring out how DBZ power levels should work and then making them work. Managing to untangle that mess and make something coherent out of them gets respect from me. Also, it at least tries a little more than canon to keep the non-Saiyans relevant. For example, Krillin's power level is over 250 million as of the current chapter (early Cell). Granted, this isn't hard to do considering how the show itself leaves them behind.

I'd say it's worth trying, though the first dozen chapters are shorter and rougher than the rest.

I've actually been following this one for a while. It and Honor Trip are pretty much the only two Dragon Ball Z fics that I follow. Both are good in their own ways. I do have to agree that the improvement in quality after the first chapters is quite noticeable though, I think that after soloing the first dozen that he got a partner and betas, so the quality took a large upturn. Plus, as far as I can tell he's pretty damn consistent in updating every week, which is nice.

How's Honor Trip? I never tried it since I'm not a big fan of Cell.

You can really tell the guy got it together after the first arc or so. That and the fact that he reliably updates every day is absolutely amazing. That sort of steady updating is a cast iron bitch to stick to.
<Afina> Forever.

Grahf

Quote from: Anastasia on April 01, 2013, 01:32:06 PM
How's Honor Trip? I never tried it since I'm not a big fan of Cell.

It's definitely different. While it's well written (I think the person writing it has alluded at least once to being a professional author, although that's neither here nor there) at times it really does seem like they're going overboard trying to correct some of the inconsistencies with the universe. Also, since Cell is the main character, it'd probably be difficult for you to get into. Pretty much everything revolves around Cell in one way or another, which isn't to say that other characters are ignored, but they definitely aren't as prominent.

This is especially true of the second and third "seasons" where Cell ends up in the future that Trunks came from. In season two it's most him and Trunks, in season three it's him, Trunks and Broly. There's almost none of Goku, Gohan, or the rest of the main cast.

Anastasia

Quote from: Grahf on April 01, 2013, 03:49:46 PMIt's definitely different. While it's well written (I think the person writing it has alluded at least once to being a professional author, although that's neither here nor there) at times it really does seem like they're going overboard trying to correct some of the inconsistencies with the universe. Also, since Cell is the main character, it'd probably be difficult for you to get into. Pretty much everything revolves around Cell in one way or another, which isn't to say that other characters are ignored, but they definitely aren't as prominent.

This is especially true of the second and third "seasons" where Cell ends up in the future that Trunks came from. In season two it's most him and Trunks, in season three it's him, Trunks and Broly. There's almost none of Goku, Gohan, or the rest of the main cast.

Thanks.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on it. I'd prefer something focused on characters I care about.
Trunks is okay, but Cell and Brolly? Wow, it's baddie reject week! I kid, I kid, but that's not a group that does much for me.
<Afina> Forever.

JonBob

In Flight updated. Shirou gets a wiki, says good-bye and hello.

Dracos

Exceedingly weak chapter.  Almost no scene in it had any impact.  I suppose it's to make obvious that the protagonist is flawed, but it makes it way less interesting to read.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9044833/8/My-Love-s-Flame

My Love's Flame updated with the Ukyo fight. It was okay-ish? Not great but not terrible. It felt like it needed more meat.
<Afina> Forever.

JonBob

In Flight updated. Again. Huh.

Very minor fallout from last chapter. Just inter-personal hijinks. Not sure if I like the parallels he draws, but they made me giggle a little inside?

Dracos

Mmm.

I think that I don't really get it.

I think in hindsight I know why.  Because Shirou doesn't ask the obvious question that he meanders about at the end of the chapter.  Because no one asked how they found them in a sleepy inn.  Because it shifts easily into interpersonal comedy.

I think also because trying to pitch that anyone who grew up in the japanese school system doesn't know what a cell phone is seems far stretched.  I can buy maybe not seeing a tablet, not caring about details, but Fate/Stay Night was set in 2004.  You'd have a hard time walking around rural japan then without hitting a cellphone, and especially in a city.  Not knowing the word even if it'd be unimportant seems weird.

I also don't get why there's just no reaction from Shirou's flock to his attempts to calm things down.  Shouldn't that have been a they're not human moment?  Or why he got hit with a ladle too?
Well, Goodbye.

JonBob

Yeah, the chapter really doesn't have much. You get some meshing of the groups... and that's it. No plot advancing happens. Perhaps he's pushing the interpersonal comedy now so when the drama bomb hits it should be more of a contrast?

Yeah, the inability to grasp technology is a very odd trait Gabrielle gave Rin and Shirou. Like, shouldn't he be able to grasp the history of a device and know all about it? Also, as the son of the Magus Killer, wouldn't he be very keen on non-magical devices and info sources?