News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kt3

Quote from: Brian on May 09, 2013, 02:21:52 PM
So, still going through my Naruto Peggy Sue trawl.  Evidently 'Naruto's life as a videogame' is a subgenre.  Who knew?

To continue this thread of thought almost a month later, I've read a number of those fics before.  It was always a sort of guilty pleasure ever since I found the first instance of the trope.

I have just found an instance of a Harry Potter version of said subgenre however.  First time seeing it in the Harry Potter 'verse.  I'm only one chapter in, but I'm enjoying myself quite a bit so far.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8923104/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Munchkins

I have to say, I think that the author did a rather good job of grabbing my attention in the first couple of paragraphs.  Wish more authors could do the same, instead of burying the first interesting/intriguing concept chapters in.
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Dracos

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8923104/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Munchkins someone linked this in kitago.  Brian then rec'd it. 

And now I have read it.

Somehow I'm the first to link here.  This is an amusing off the rails story that takes bold swipes and runs well with its premise.  While it has weaknesses in writing quality, it is amusing and I enjoyed my time following Harry Potter: RPG Munchkin Save Hoarder!
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Drac, I think you need to read the post above yours.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Kt3

Man, first Brian, now Drac...

Everyone's stealing credit now!  :p
I think we live our lives in other people's hearts and minds. Alone by ourselves we're not very much good at all. But when we let someone else in with their stories and all their sights and sounds and songs and smells and sensations, we suddenly start filling our shelves and boxes with books and books of them and building up our libraries.

Brian

Huh, I don't remember.  Usually I'm much more careful about being clear where a link came from. :X

Sorry?
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

REad fail~ :3

Man, I can't believe I was THAT blind.

But the evidence is right there.

Unless I erase it.  @_@

*rubs eraser over Kt3s post*
Well, Goodbye.

Kt3

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2013, 12:27:55 PM
Huh, I don't remember.  Usually I'm much more careful about being clear where a link came from. :X

Sorry?

Huh?  Oh, no no, I wasn't referring to this topic at all when I mentioned you, Brian.  I was trying to refer to a different thread, where I think you got credited with something I posted.  I'm just playing around, don't worry about it.

Now Dracos...  he's the one I gotta watch out for.  One day I'll end up trying to post like normal and then suddenly Dracos will (REDACTED)

Dracos

That's <REDACTED>
Well, Goodbye.

alethiophile

Munchkins is amusing. Definitely following that one.

I found this interesting. Pity it's just a oneshot.

Brian

I found it unreadable.  Too busy interjecting too much stuff to track to be sensible.

~exploding tag~

Rezantis

Quote from: Dracos on May 27, 2013, 03:17:09 AM
That's <REDACTED>

Sorry, what were you saying?  I kinda missed it.

Also, going to toss in another mention of the original grimdark superhero web serial Worm, since you guys are mentioning updates and that thing updates twice a week.

Worth at least a look, and at close to 1.5 million words it's got plenty of archive to binge on if it hooks you.
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Ebiris

Harry Potter and the Temporal Beacon

Just started this one a couple days ago and already finished what's been written so far. At the end of 3rd year Hermione and Harry make a time machine of sorts that lets them return their memories to themselves at the exact moment it was first activated. Between small changes having big consequences and their time machine being set at a point just before Voldemort starts his return, the pair are forced to play things by ear over many loops while only gradually raising their game to a point where they can become credible threats. Has an extended Triwizard Tournament and (not a spoiler) Harry performs as shittily as you'd expect an average 4th year to do so against 7th years in the first loop.

Definitely worth a look.

Brian

Excellent.  I don't particularly know why, but I really enjoy Peggy Sues.

Probably the wish to NG+ my life and clear it on S-rank. -_-

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Zat Roight.

*nods*

Well, they also tend to involve fixing awkward things.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Ebiris on May 31, 2013, 09:25:32 PM
Harry Potter and the Temporal Beacon

Just started this one a couple days ago and already finished what's been written so far. At the end of 3rd year Hermione and Harry make a time machine of sorts that lets them return their memories to themselves at the exact moment it was first activated. Between small changes having big consequences and their time machine being set at a point just before Voldemort starts his return, the pair are forced to play things by ear over many loops while only gradually raising their game to a point where they can become credible threats. Has an extended Triwizard Tournament and (not a spoiler) Harry performs as shittily as you'd expect an average 4th year to do so against 7th years in the first loop.

Definitely worth a look.

I read all but the last chapter of this before.  I'll probably read that sometime soon.  There was one thread in this that bothered me despite its generally awesome vibe.

Overtime there's basically a repudiation of Harry Potter the character.  He is made bigger, stronger, given clear eyesight, etc.   Basically enough physical improvements that it starts to get a bit weird and a bit like reshaping the character rather than having the character reshape the world.

All sorts of things that really shouldn't be all that relevant to a magic wizard world.  It started squicking me a bit by the end of my original read, even though I'd enjoyed a good deal of it.
Well, Goodbye.