News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolipettanko

First post here, hello. ^_^

Gabriel Blessing updated Monsters of the Wilds today.

I can't say I'm really in favor of what he's done with Jaegu as a character. He's elevated Jaegu well above the main cast of his fic in terms of power level. I can't really see where he's going with this as the main point of the GotW manwha was to portray a weak character learning to stand up for himself. He's kind of taken away its charm. The same goes for the MGQ portion of the fic because well...they're not exactly monsters anymore. :P

So far I see no clear antagonist as Gabriel's shown us that Jaegu's well above the competition at this point. I predict him introducing some more MGQ characters to make up for this, but I'm not really familiar with the MGQ-verse so I can't really say anything about that.
"Those who show others the way must not avert their eyes from the weight of responsibility."

Dracos

Welcome to soulriders.

I'm not all that familiar either, but I was of the understanding that all the really strong characters from MGQ are already on his team.  That was the entire set of superbosses as I understand it.
Well, Goodbye.

lolipettanko

While reading up on some MGQ, I came across a character who guides you at the start then eventually turns on you. I'm not sure if that'll be important, but it's the only viable choice I can see Gabe going with for an antagonist without having to make some major OCs. I don't know how this is all going to turn out, I guess I'll just have to read on at this point.
"Those who show others the way must not avert their eyes from the weight of responsibility."

Dracos

I believe that's Alice.  The character that has had the most screen time thusfar besides generic korean longname lead.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: lolipettanko on June 03, 2013, 03:59:14 AM
First post here, hello. ^_^
Welcome!

I think we technically have a "hello" thread somewhere or other on these forums, but I also can't recall the last time anyone posted in it.

I can't say I'm really in favor of what he's done with Jaegu as a character. He's elevated Jaegu well above the main cast of his fic in terms of power level.

That's pretty much GB's modus operandi.

lolipettanko

Quote from: Dracos on June 03, 2013, 05:02:35 PM
I believe that's Alice.  The character that has had the most screen time thusfar besides generic korean longname lead.

Nah, I checked it again. It's this Goddess Illias person.

Brian

Quote from: Ebiris on May 31, 2013, 09:25:32 PMHarry Potter and the Tempting Bacon

This story had some things going for it, but also has a small laundry list of problems. 
Spoiler: ShowHide
I didn't really get the issue Drac did, since it's not nearly as present as -- say -- Time Braid.  I did however get annoyed by extensive PoV segments on characters that ended up being irrelevant because their loop wasn't the last one.  In fact, a great deal of time is spent not really dealing with the looping mechanic well.  Chapter 61's plot twist did not add value to the story, in my opinion (hint: the 'generic' new DADA professor is a time-traveling unspeakable, probably).  I don't like the 'ends-justify-the-means' Dumbledore villainy (exemplified from his PoV).  While I think Snape's a jerk, the story explaining (multiple times) that he's actually only barely competent and having long scenes to go over it in multiple loops is irritating.

The author started out pretty lousy at action sequences and got passably better, though, so there's that.  Very few typos.  Uncertain I'll bother following this one further, except maybe to confirm my suspicion.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Empyrean

Quote from: lolipettanko on June 04, 2013, 12:13:45 AM
Quote from: Dracos on June 03, 2013, 05:02:35 PM

Nah, I checked it again. It's this Goddess Illias person.
I find myself in the somewhat awkward position of knowing about MMQ well enough to explain what's going on. I think I'll start a thread for this, because there's sort of a lot of explaining to do.

Edit: Done. Everything you ever needed to know about MMQ, but knew better than to ask.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102797.0.html

lolipettanko

Yeah, I pretty much got all that reading the wiki page. :P

I can't say I like it or dislike it at this point because the story's barely started so far. I'll give it 5-10 more chapters before I give my opinion on it.

So Goddess Illias is the main antagonist then?

Empyrean

Yeah, Illias is the big one. She's got a couple underlings that pop up occasionally, too: Promestein and Black Alice.

Arakawa

Something I really want to complain about right now:

How many chapters can you survive from the most badly paced MLP fic in the history of the planet? No, scratch that... perhaps contending for the most badly paced fic in any canon whatsoever in the history of the planet?

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24125/the-powers-of-harmony

I made it to 'Chapter 16, part 1'.

Here is my analysis of why this just doesn't work as an attempt to write an 'epic' fic:

21:55 < MuForbis> But basically, here is your guide to writing The Most Horribly Paced Fic Ever:
21:55 < MuForbis> (1) start by teasing heavily that the canon characters will get interesting powers
21:55 < MuForbis> (2) introduce OCs. Lots of OCs. Like, a dozen OCs. Each of which has a distinct (EDIT: yet somehow entirely bland) personality.
21:57 < MuForbis> (3) isolate the original cast from each other and surround each one with at least two OCs. This has the benefit of totally preventing you from using the character dynamics that were developing in canon, so your fic will go even slower as you have to invent new dynamics.
21:58 < MuForbis> (4) introduce some kind of bizarre Nanoha-type nonsense where the OCs are technological constructs of some Wolkenritter nonsense guarding an extradimensional prison that will explode unless other nonsense.
21:58 < MuForbis> (4a) ... but don't ever actually explain this plot point. Just dribble out some hints painfully over 16 chapters.
21:59 < Slacker> You're not human are you.
21:59 < MuForbis> How so?
21:59 < Slacker> Seriously, that should would have sent me off by chapter... whatever chapter got OCs brought in.
21:59 < MuForbis> One.
22:00 < MuForbis> I'm still getting to the point that made me want to finally hurl my computer across the room.
22:00 < MuForbis> (5) have Pinkie Pie learn about the powers, but not tell any of her friends because 'that would spoil the surprise'. And then...
22:01 < MuForbis> *takes a deep breath*
22:01 < MuForbis> (5a) mention that she spent several days practicing the powers. But she was doing it offscreen, while you get to read more about the OCs angsting over whether they're robots or not. Thus you still don't know what most of her powers do.
22:03 < MuForbis> At this point, I went over here to bitch about this fic.
22:04 < MuForbis> Because reading it is basically like the fic equivalent of being in an abusive relationship where you keep rationalizing to yourself that the story will actually start, but it just keeps punishing you by not telling you things.
22:04 < Slacker> I think that's more effort than that fic is worth.
22:05 < MuForbis> It's a shame, because the powers sure sound interesting.
22:06 < MuForbis> WHATEVER THE HELL THEY ARE
22:06 < MuForbis> I mean, imagine if Kyon: Big Damn Hero started out like this.
22:06 < MuForbis> Or, don't. That thought is too horrible for words.
22:11 < Slacker> I'm pretty sure I would have gone to Kuyou's house with a bat long before it could have gotten that far.
22:12 < Slacker> Maybe a fruit bat.
22:12 < Slacker> Eh, probably one of those little adorable ones. Those are popular.
22:17 < MuForbis> Actually, I haven't even mentioned the supreme irony of the fic.
22:17 < MuForbis> Which is that the OCs' angsting keeps coming back to how they're on a strict time limit to unlock the main characters' powers or all Hell will break loose.
22:18 < MuForbis> *or else
22:19 < MuForbis> Actually, now that I've summarized all the things that don't  work about this fic, I'm starting to doubt that it actually exists. Perhaps I hallucinated it based on some heinous chemical.

So, I did not enjoy the fic. I think this is the ultimate 'terrorism cooking' where there's enough neat stuff in it that you want to keep reading, but it just doesn't go anywhere.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

thepanda

If you want epic ponies with power-ups might I suggest Its A Dangerous Business Going Out Your Door.

Or better still, Myths and Birthrights.

And I think I might have suggested Under the Northern Lights before I'll do so here, just in case. Though Though there aren't any power-ups. And most of the cast isn't here. Aaaand there are a lot of OCs. But ITS GOOD, I SWEAR!

Arakawa

All of those look neat.

It's also interesting to contrast Powers of Harmony to The Flight of The Alicorn, which is similarly bloated in scope but turned out to be kind of a guilty pleasure. That one's sort of Rarity-as-a-reluctant-Indiana-Jones, not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but that's not the issue; my point is, it had similar overambitious scope and piles of OCs, but was much better at communicating with the reader as regards pacing. Also perhaps more imaginative about what to use as filler. So it felt like stuff was happening there, even though it actually takes 10 chapters for the plot to start.

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Rezantis

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on June 07, 2013, 11:33:50 PM
Something I really want to complain about right now:

How many chapters can you survive from the most badly paced MLP fic in the history of the planet? No, scratch that... perhaps contending for the most badly paced fic in any canon whatsoever in the history of the planet?

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24125/the-powers-of-harmony

Clearly you've never read Chuunin Exam Day, if this is the best you have to complain about!

I remember that one, I got bored in Chapter One and gave up in Chapter Two . . . but from what I remember, it was more 'mediocre' than anything else.  I think you're more annoyed because you feel like the author could have written something much better! 

Wasted possibility.
Hangin' out backstage, waiting for the show.

Arakawa

Quote from: Rezantis on June 10, 2013, 09:15:28 PM
I remember that one, I got bored in Chapter One and gave up in Chapter Two . . . but from what I remember, it was more 'mediocre' than anything else.  I think you're more annoyed because you feel like the author could have written something much better! 

That's definitely part of it. Skysaber's nonsense can at least definitely be enjoyed (given a sufficiently nondiscriminating mood) on the level of the silliness that it is, because I can't really imagine him doing better than that.

This fic, on the other hand, is just... constantly rubbing in your face the interesting idea the author _could_ be focusing on, but isn't. Namely, giving the Elements of Harmony neat associated powers, which aren't really of the typical 'offensive/defensive' variety. (e.g. Fluttershy can read minds... but only of people who she is trying to care for. We don't get to see this, because the first time she unlocks this power (briefly), her memory is immediately wiped by a giant turtle. Rainbow Dash has supercharged charisma to inspire loyalty in others. Pinkie Pie has some kind of probability manipulation/sensing thing. etc. Again, all of this is hinted at and then totally ignored in favour of dragging it out with comparatively uninteresting Wolkenritter OCs.)

---

(from Wm. Blake)