News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Read several chapters before I quit. Couldn't see the point of the crossover if the main character wasn't going to contribute anything to the story.

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9044833/17/My-Love-s-Flame

An overdue update. [spoiler]Ranma sees through Minako's disguises and is showing signs of some sort of bond with Rei, plus possibly memories. Shenanigans loom. Nice chapter and it hooked me into wanting to see more.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9342459/6/Miracle-of-Zero-Kingdom-of-the-Forsaken

Miracle of Zero updated. It's mostly a move-along chapter and skips over an expo bomb. There's some action but I feel it was mostly setting up the rest of the arc.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/260583.html

DK:A updated. Shit is hurtling towards the fan at Mach 1. Gonna be a long couple of days for Ami.
<Afina> Forever.

Ergoemos

Quote from: Anastasia on September 21, 2013, 07:16:07 PM
http://addventure.bast-enterprises.de/260583.html

DK:A updated. Shit is hurtling towards the fan at Mach 1. Gonna be a long couple of days for Ami.

I really really liked DK:A for a long time. I connected with the characters, thought the writing was good and loved the premise... until about the fourth time Everything Fell Apart. I know no plan survives contact with the enemy, but damn, did she have some varied extreme failures. Its very four steps forwards, three steps back, and pretty painful to watch happen to fourteen year old girl. Again and again.

Still gonna pick it up again soon, running out of other stuff to read.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

Arakawa

Quote from: Ergoemos on September 21, 2013, 08:12:50 PM
Its very four steps forwards, three steps back, and pretty painful to watch happen to fourteen year old girl. Again and again.

Some of the 'three steps back' stuff is also pretty weird. I mean, several dark gods try to kill Ami's soul? At least that's quickly dealt with. But, consider the horrible and protracted dilemma facing them when the dungeon heart suddenly develops a disgusting fashion sense!

For me, though, the adversity is part of the appeal. Even if this version of Ami has to be imagined an implausibly driven savant who manages to overcome every single threat thrown at her.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Yeah, a lot of the appeal is seeing Ami snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Her last setback was a bit much, as she'd really earned the Avatar Islands.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Brian on September 19, 2013, 04:14:41 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4438449/1/Path-of-Decision

Interesting, if very strange story.  Harry Potter as an infant comes to the attention of the Endless.  All of them, pretty much.

They all screw with his mind and his life, so he's a very different character.  Works well in the setting of the Endless, but despite the story being primarily about Harry, the entire HP universe is secondary to the Endless.  Despite their relatively limited screen time, Delerium notwithstanding.

I'm not honestly sure I can suggest this for anyone who's not already a big fan of the Endless as it stands, though.

I recall coming across this some time after the first couple of chapters got published. I recall liking it a little, but lost track of it. I'll give it another shot.

EDIT: Holy John Jacob Jingleheimer-Schmidt, 60 chapters.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

DY

My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Yuthirin

I'm honestly not sure if I wanna read it. This way I can pretend that the author put in a massive twist at the end to make everything interesting again.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

DY

It ended okay, I agree with you that it became a bit boring heading towards the end. He did announce that he'd be writing a sequel though, which might be good.
My name is Vash the Stampede. I have been a hunter of peace who chases the mayfly known as love for many, many moons now. There is no rest for me in my search for peace. I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

Jason_Miao

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7406866/26/To-the-Stars

I posted this Madoka fic earlier as Magical Girls in Spacewar.  The previous chapter had some ship to ship combat, and this latest chapter is the actual mission, which I thought was well done.  If anyone is thinking of starting this one now, be warned that it's not just slow development, but snail development - my impression is that the writer is much more interested in worldbuilding than telling the story. 

Dracos

It seems set for comedy, but it just is really to focus on a universe so inconsistent that it basically goes:
1)This guy is the ninja hero of his village and most other villages.
2)He's got super respect from all the other villages.
3)He's still the lowest rank and they can't bother to find some way to promote him, so they're placing him against 13 year olds.

*finishes*
Relatively good take on it, though it just still feels weird.
Well, Goodbye.

Ergoemos

Quote from: thepanda on October 07, 2013, 05:34:04 PM
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9268507/1/The-World-s-Greatest-Chunin-Exam-Team

Amusing.

I like it so far. Good parody is always fun. Most of my knowledge of the series comes from Team 8 though, so all the shinobi war characters are way beyond my fanon knowledge.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland