News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Finished World in Pieces.

Overall, very enjoyable.  I think that it goes a bit overboard on Us vs Them and too many folks just acting non-maliciously in concert as part of the Greater Plan (of monsterousness).  I think it also unintentionally goes overboard on traditionally neutral/villainous characters being the majority of team 'not Order of the Phoenix'.  But it does give several of the traditional good guys good screen time to by the end.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/891127/Ozzallos

Ozzallos updated his profile with a large snippet from his current chapter in progress. Considering he's been gone since June/July, it's nice to hear from him again.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8560965/23/God-Slaying-Blade-Works

God Slaying Blade Works updated. [spoiler]UBW sees play and Venus gets a terminal case of being dead. I thought it was a decent chapter for what it was, but ye gads does this author have a serious case of literary diarrhea. I mean, I like him overall and he's improving, but brevity is not his strong suit.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Been reading some Motivation.  Slowly really.  Other than that doesn't seem like much new has crossed my viewing angle in a bit aside from World in Pieces (which was still pretty cool).
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

http://www.fukufics.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7764

DK:A updated. Shit continues to get real and pressure mounts.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on January 24, 2014, 08:11:47 PM
DK:A updated. Shit continues to get real and pressure mounts.

Dungeon Keeper vs. Dwarf Fortress: the epic showdown.
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

I'm still waiting to add magical demon bullshit to it via Kunzite. Here's hoping.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

I've recently read https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8078340/1/Postnuptial-Disagreements, a Fate/Sekirei xover.

Ko mentioned it at one point, but I couldn't find a post where the fic itself was linked.  So, here it is.

Anastasia

What did you think of it, Jason?
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on January 25, 2014, 12:54:50 PM
What did you think of it, Jason?

I liked it quite a bit.  I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics of Fate universe other than the Tsukihime anime and various xover fanfics with series that I have read/seen so there may be some gaping plot hole somewhere or other, but I thought the writing itself was good.  Setting up the protagonist as someone you laugh at, rather than laugh with was an unconventional move that could have gone badly, but the writer pulled it off with flair.

I'm inclined to read his other stories, but most of them are either Fate or Fate crossed over with some other series else I'm unfamiliar with, so I had better stay clear until I can find a copy of the game somewhere.

Anastasia

They're all worth reading, as his writing is a lot of fun. He has a unique style that you don't see in fanfiction.

I just wish he'd write more, but so it goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Cricket, Cricket.

Well, Started wandering around.  Encountered Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories, but really didn't end up reading it.  Got about halfway through chapter one where Super-Harry the eleven year old remarked on his six-pack and I was done.  Weird direction for an Eidetic Harry story to go, but it'd already given him innate wandless magic bullshit too and desperate/helpless parents.

Glancing at Ashikaba No Shinobi, but getting the same vibe.  It doesn't feel like Naruto, and that he just bumped the main aside to take his place doesn't really shake well.  Yeah, no, I'm done.  Seeing regular comparisons to folks that are supposed to be hundreds/thousands of years dead just isn't doing it for me.  The character feels disconnected with the reality they're in, as if there hasn't been thought into just where he's been or what he was doing.

No links, cuz they aren't good enough to share.  You'll have to make do with blathering.
Well, Goodbye.

JonBob

From Fake Dreams updated.

Just a bit of the aftermath of last chapter's death. Actually, not a whole lot happens for about 1/2 of the chapter. The other half is about Caster's "last stand" except she's not an idiot. So maybe it's not like that. But it is about her. And fighting.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Dracos on January 31, 2014, 03:37:56 PM
Cricket, Cricket.

Well, Started wandering around.  Encountered Harry Potter and the Gift of Memories, but really didn't end up reading it.  Got about halfway through chapter one where Super-Harry the eleven year old remarked on his six-pack and I was done.  Weird direction for an Eidetic Harry story to go, but it'd already given him innate wandless magic bullshit too and desperate/helpless parents.

This kind of thing is all sorts of fun for analysis though!
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

I really miss the neat Story Relevance by favoriting feature that guy built, and then got web-paged into the ground.

That would've been amazing to have in FF.net in the same way DA has 'More Like This'.
Well, Goodbye.