News:

"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

So Chibi-Reaper suddenly came back to life, posting 51 chapters of a brand new fic over the course of about 9 minutes. All of which individually hit my e-mail at roughly the same time. Jesus Christ.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10196722/1/Breaking-in-Rumia
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Someone needs to condense those fucking chapters. I did quickie look through and the formatting's a mess.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Seems like he got hit by standard Starving Unemployed Person syndrome.

Sadly common these days.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on March 18, 2014, 03:19:53 PM

Sadly common these days.

That's tough. I feel for him, that's a rough way to live.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on March 18, 2014, 03:19:53 PM

Sadly common these days.

Maybe that's the reason behind my own sluggish pace of writing: I'm too fed and employed.

Scary thought....
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

It might be. Desperation is a marvelous motivator. Nothing cuts through procrastination like fear.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Anastasia on March 18, 2014, 08:23:19 PM
It might be. Desperation is a marvelous motivator. Nothing cuts through procrastination like fear.

In other news, a great way to become a better writer is to almost get the death penalty. :-(

(It worked for Cervantez and Dostoyevsky.)

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Anastasia

Quote from: Arakawa Seijio on March 18, 2014, 08:26:44 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 18, 2014, 08:23:19 PM

In other news, a great way to become a better writer is to almost get the death penalty. :-(

(It worked for Cervantez and Dostoyevsky.)

That's what I was thinking about, actually. I forget the name of the English writer, but the quote's something like 'Death sharpens motivation like nothing else'.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Yuthirin on March 18, 2014, 02:38:34 AM
So Chibi-Reaper suddenly came back to life, posting 51 chapters of a brand new fic over the course of about 9 minutes. All of which individually hit my e-mail at roughly the same time. Jesus Christ.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10196722/1/Breaking-in-Rumia

Sounds fun!

*reads*

Story relies on Zero universe to carry it.  For someone who wasn't into masochistic-fantasy and hasn't watched it, it did not explain enough. 

Not enough Rumia.  Boring~.

*reads more*

Hmm.  So *it* is lost.  Also, while the writer labels this as horror, I imagine this with Rumia's image, and it all seems ridiculously cute.  Yes, even the most recent bit with Siesta.

Verdict: some flaws that probably come from not being distracted by minor concerns such as worry about food on the table.  But still a bit of fun.

Yes, it is so.

Quote from: Anastasia on March 18, 2014, 08:32:05 PM
That's what I was thinking about, actually. I forget the name of the English writer, but the quote's something like 'Death sharpens motivation like nothing else'.

"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." -- Commonly attributed to Samuel Johnson

Anastasia

That's the quote I had in mind, thanks. Couldn't put a name to it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Just caught up with the latest chapter of Champion. It's one of the better takes on the 'Voldemort won the war' genre. James is dead and Harry and Lily have been stripped of the Potter name, as mud/half-bloods aren't fit to bear a pureblood's name, but otherwise they get to continue living mostly unmolested. Voldemort at least understands that society needs those on the lower rungs to function, and is making an effort to rehabilitate Britain's image by hosting the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

Through as yet unknown means, since he isn't the Boy Who Lived or anything, Harry Evans gets selected as the fourth champion, and becomes a lightning rod for the cause of muggleborns and halfbloods.

It does have Ron-bashing, which normally I hate, but in this case it's forgiveable thanks to differing circumstances - the Weasley's surrendered along with a lot of other nice purebloods after Voldemort won, and as a result were exalted in station, so he's got that going on.

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/362453/Materia_Blade

Not an updated story but an announcement. Materia Blade's not going to continue any of his stories (besides the Worm one he's working on). Bleh.
<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Gabriel Blessing started a Dresden+DxD xover.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Dresden Files, and I stopped reading the DxD manga when I realized it was pointless fanservice.  So I probably hold off on reading it for now. Still, GB has historically made xovers of series I find to be mostly crap and makes them work (while Nasu fans may hate what he's done with Fate, I went into IF with knowledge of only Sekirei), so I'll probably end of reading it in the future.

Fate Revelation Online updated with chapter 10 (which, is spread over several pages, as that writer has done in the past).

Quote from: Anastasia on March 23, 2014, 12:42:44 PMBleh.
That sums my my feelings on the matter.

Anastasia

Yeah. I'd largely given up hope on his fics updating anytime soon, but that still blows. Losing good authors sucks beyond words.
<Afina> Forever.

Arakawa

Quote from: Ebiris on March 22, 2014, 09:57:03 PM
Just caught up with the latest chapter of Champion. It's one of the better takes on the 'Voldemort won the war' genre.

Things I want to see happen now: the cops from Perfect 20 investigating the magical government in Champion.

---

(from Wm. Blake)