News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4183715/26/Awaken-Sleeper

First dresden crossover I've read.

It's...pretty good.  Enjoyable, even if Harry is more an OC than Harry Potter.
Well, Goodbye.

thepanda

I recall not liking that fic. Mostly because of the OC Harry.

Dracos

Harry is horribly OOC in it.  Really badly so.  He practically could go without being Harry, since he brings pretty much none of his universe' people with him.

But it's still an enjoyable yarn.
Well, Goodbye.

Rukatin

I've read and Kept up-to-date with Halkegenia Online. Also with Long Night of the Harvest, a Mass Effect/Evengelion Crossover a la Gregg Landsman, Creator of Nobody Dies
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Ergoemos

Post a link, so we can partake, should you suggest the fic (or even if you don't).  Add a summary or commentary if you like. The names of the story are kind of meaningless otherwise

For example...
_________

So I have decided to dumpster dive, pick and anime that is not generally considered particularly good, and see if I can't find a good story amongst the clutter.

Having randomly chosen Yu-Gi-Oh, due to having watched much of the series idly in the back ground when I was younger, I have found the story with the most reviews on Fanfiction.net, which, while not guaranteeing quality, does imply a certain following.

The New Students is a story of a modest 200,000 words, set in a Yu-Gi-Oh/Harry Potter crossover.

Set after the fourth novel of the HP book and after the Battle City arc in Yu-Gi-Oh, I eagerly anticipate very boring descriptions of wizards being impressed by card games that take quite a long period of time. Before I read the first chapter, I am already betting that Quidditch will be replaced as the school sport by the end (but then, I have very low expectations).

Thoughts on the first chapter: Its pretty well written, or well-edited, at least. The pacing is a little clippy, but it is obvious the author wants to get into the meat of the story, which isn't necessarily bad.

For the characters with alter-egos, there is no real marker for delineation of a mental conversation, which is harder to juggle as a reader.

Bonus points for the story actually tackling the language barrier between Japanese students who spend very little time in class to play card games and an English school of wizardry, and for Yugi having some doubts about the legitimacy of the offer to go to a "wizard school".

Anyway, I will read more and report back if it has a good hook or two.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

Anastasia

I follow Halk Online too, so I'll toss a link out: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8903072/1/Halkegenia-Online

This is only book one. Later books can be found under the same author. To quote from the FFnet summary:
Kirigaya Kazuto, Kirito, Beater of SAO, and now a Spriggan in ALfheim online, is fighting to save the love of his life from a fate worse than death. Louise De La Valliere, third daughter of the Valliere family, and student of the Tristain Academy is fighting to prove herself. Two worlds collide as a summon goes wrong and Tristain finds itself with some very confused new residents.

In particular, when Kirito and company storm Yggdrasil to try and free Asuna, Louise manages to summon all of Alfheim into Tristain. The game world is now real and you have thousands and thousands of players that are now real life, magical fey. Worlds collide and shenanigans ensue. It has a lot of fascinating and reasonable world building. It also gets bonus points for something genuinely heartwarming.

[spoiler]Yui becomes a real, living girl as well, since she's affected by the summons as well.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Rukatin

Quote from: Ergoemos on June 03, 2014, 10:15:50 PM
Post a link, so we can partake, should you suggest the fic (or even if you don't).  Add a summary or commentary if you like. The names of the story are kind of meaningless otherwise

Alright. First thread with index: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/long-night-of-the-harvest-evangelion-me.279646/page-94#post-14268168
Second thread: http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/long-night-of-the-harvest-thread-2-me-eva-oedipalicious.300298/

Summary: Shinji Ikari faces the Shadow Angel Leliel and gets sucked into the Dirac Sea. Things happen, and Leliel dies.
Only unlike canon, Shinji does not come out.
Gendo, with his scenario gone, decides to give SEELE a big 'Fuck you' and decides to be one of the good guys.
5-ish years pass and the Pilots are now young adults. Gendo stepped down, making Misato Supreme commander of Nerv. Rei and Asuka kill the 28th angel, (which looks something like a Thresher Maw,) and are thrown off balance by the 29th appearing in Tokyo-3, looking like a mutated MP Evengelion.
Then Unit-01 falls out of the sky and kicks it's ass.
Turns out, Shinji was found with his Evengelion (and parts of Tokyo-3 that were sucked in by Leliel) by the Migrant Fleet. And Shinji finally found a parental figure.
Said parental figure is Urdnot Wrex.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

I admit, despite watching all of Yu-Gi-oh abridged and a bunch of random chapters that have shown up in Shonen Jump, I've never quite understood the draw and readability of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

Maybe it's that I've never hooked into card games, but it just seems like a concept that requires the entire universe to be written around it.
Well, Goodbye.

Arakawa

Quote from: Dracos on June 04, 2014, 01:33:30 PM
Maybe it's that I've never hooked into card games, but it just seems like a concept that requires the entire universe to be written around it.

Clearly you have no faith in the heart of the cards!
That the dead tree with its scattered fruit, a thousand times may live....

---

Man was made for Joy & Woe / And when this we rightly know / Thro the World we safely go / Joy & Woe are woven fine / A Clothing for the soul divine / Under every grief & pine / Runs a joy with silken twine
(from Wm. Blake)

Dracos

Screw the rules, I have money.
Well, Goodbye.

Bezzerker

How many here have read the early parts of Yu-Gi-Oh that wasn't so focused on the card game?
Unleash the elements of order and chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

Ergoemos

Well, I regret my decision to start this dig already.

The New Students isn't terrible, so much as it is not very good. The writing is pretty good, but almost every chapter like clockwork there is badly misspelled word, completely jarring. Not only that, but it definitely focuses on the YGO characters in a Harry Potter universe, without nearly any time spent on the protagonists of the actual plot they stumbled into (Harry, Ron, and Hermoine show up for less than two minutes, and I am about seven or so chapters in. To be fair, they were, at least, in character and well written).

The plot is centered around Voldemort, recently revived, trying to garner some ancient Egyptian artifacts he read about once, and as a result, Yugi, Bakura, and Malik all get invited to be students at a school for wizardry, heavily implied to be because Voldemort controls the Ministry of Magic already. Or something.

The writing is okay, but it really hinges on how much the audience really likes the Millennium Item wielders in the show. I don't much care for them myself.

I will try to find another one, but most of the other "most favorited" stories tend to include a lot of slashfiction, which I try to avoid.

I admit, despite watching all of Yu-Gi-oh abridged and a bunch of random chapters that have shown up in Shonen Jump, I've never quite understood the draw and readability of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

I watched the first couple of seasons, but I am definitely more familiar with the Abridged Series than I am the actual show, anymore. I won't deny that this came out right around the time my parents started giving me spending money, but I quickly gave up the game when I saw the other kids I had to play with.

Quote from: Bezzerker on June 04, 2014, 05:32:10 PM
How many here have read the early parts of Yu-Gi-Oh that wasn't so focused on the card game?

Yes. It actually got animated, but it was obviously not released in North America. Probably because of all the murder, which is far less marketable to little kids than a children's card game.
Battle not with stupid, lest ye become stupid, and if you gaze into the Internet, the Internet gazes also into you.
-R. K. Milholland

thepanda

Quote from: Bezzerker on June 04, 2014, 05:32:10 PM

Yo! That had to be the worst town in Japan to live in considering the parade of dicks Yugi kept bumping into.

Ana: Was book two as good as book one? I loved book one.

Anastasia

Pretty good. The focus shifted more to internal intrigue, but there's some good stuff in there. I like the author, but he does have a problem with trimming down PoVs. That said, it's still worth a go.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Jason_Miao

it just seems like a concept that requires the entire universe to be written around it.

To my knowledge, I've never read a panel or watched a frame of the series, so can't comment on it directly.  But aren't most fantastic Shonen settings like this?