News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_Miao

Translations of the Chinese webnovel, Terror Infinity

Think of a action-fusion between Gantz, The Gamer, and lots of (mostly American) Horror Movies, and you'll get to something like Terror Infinity.  The novel itself is complete (either at 20 or 25 volumes), but the translation is still ongoing.  I've finished 13 volumes, and have not read the 14th (Starship Troopers) volume since I am waiting for the translation to finish.

Since I don't watch horror movies, I am sure that I'm missing a good deal of context.  Still, I feel like the story is enjoyable, and I'm mentioning it here  since it avoids some common pitfalls of most Xianxia stories I've been reading: completely flat main character, double-standard morality (e.g, from some other story "I went back in time to save my girl from a forced marriage.  Should I rape this person to increase my power so that I can do that?  Well...okay!"), and unrestricted power creep.  Although to the last, it's not so much that the characters avoid power creep - rather, extreme power alone doesn't matter in the context of several types of horror movies.

My only real irritation is probably with a tendency of the translator rather than the author.  Several terms are translated from the original Chinese into Japanese - why would someone from China shout "baka" or call someone "niisan"?!  I think there's some discussion of Gundams and such in a few chapters, so I suppose it's possible that this is from the author and the translator is just being faithful to the text, but I suspect it's just the translator gone weeaboo.  It likely won't bother most people who read this thread since it's common in fanfic.

Jason_Miao

The next chapter of the Fate/Worm fic by "I-hope-this-doesn't-turn-into-torture" Xylix, https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11820074/4/Thaumaturgic-Awakening

Anastasia

Looks okay so far, just wondering if it's gonna veer off into I don't even know what territory.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

<Afina> Forever.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Anastasia on June 13, 2016, 11:04:32 AM
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7657235/32/Path-of-the-King

Path of the King updated. Shinji approves.

I'd almost posted the link, but instead fell asleep after taking five.

Oh, and it seems that arc 2/3 of this formally ended last week.

Rukatin

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/this-bites-one-piece-si.356819/

This Bites! came back from their three week hiatus and posted three chapters totaling in over 80k words in quick succession.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Dracos

What is This Bites about?  *likes One piece but is so used to bad there*
Well, Goodbye.

Rukatin

Quote from: Dracos on June 14, 2016, 05:51:18 PM
What is This Bites about?  *likes One piece but is so used to bad there*
It's an SI fic about where the Author Avatar (There's three authors) is sent to the One Piece universe and marooned on a island where he quickly forms a partnership with a baby snail that ate the Noise-Noise fruit and names him Soundbite. They are quickly picked up by The Strawhats pre-Chopper and things go on from there. How this fic stands out is that the SI doesn't try to meddle with the story, he actively participates and considers himself part of the crew. As for challenges he must face, He doesn't start Made of Iron like the rest of the crew and actually has to work to get stronger. And even then, It's shown early on that he'll never be on par with Luffy or Zoro. He uses his wits to fight his battles or just plain runs from them.
The Fic itself is has a massive word count, there's never been an update since the first several chapters under 8k words.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Jason_Miao

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11820074/5/Thaumaturgic-Awakening

"No bld" <--?

A fight occurs.  I'd forgotten that Xylix was good at writing those.

Estrecca

Currently reading I Have Materia, Your Argument Is Invalid, a lengthy FFVII SI fic hosted at the Sufficient Velocity board. It came recommended, but I find it a bit lacking.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Estrecca on June 20, 2016, 05:55:12 PM
Currently reading I Have Materia, Your Argument Is Invalid, a lengthy FFVII SI fic hosted at the Sufficient Velocity board. It came recommended, but I find it a bit lacking.

I'm actually enjoying it.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Estrecca on June 20, 2016, 05:55:12 PM

Yeah, that's pretty decent. You have to be able to roll with the SI and it starts slow, but I've enjoyed it for awhile. I can easily see it being a fic that someone dislikes, even if I personally like it.
<Afina> Forever.

Pensive Rumination

Okay so I lost my password for a while there...

Just finished yet another Percy Jackson fanfiction.  And I still haven't read a lick of the canon material!

Broken Bow: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5673899/1/
Main character is an OC of unusual circumstance which I found rather well done.  Author also has 4 sequels and 2 side stories.  Perhaps most impressively there's actually overarching plots spanning between multiples of all 5 'book' even the one that involves a blatant crossover.  Marvelously well done, best read I've had in a while.

Blindness: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10937871/1/
Harry Potter 'what if story'.  Harry is blinded by Voldemort, gets 'mage sight' and pretty much becomes an OC.  That's not what I find most interesting about this fic.  It's how Voldemort effectively becomes a footnote in the face of magical research and wizarding politics involving stuff like House Elf rights.  This fic definitly goes in some interesting and largely unexplored directions.  Also the descriptions of how Harry see's the world are quite artistic.

lolipettanko

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9250029/1/Shinobi-Team-7

I'm not sure if this was posted before, but I highly recommend it.

A sprawling Naruto AU fic with some massive changes in play, including Hashirama deciding to marry politicaly rather than out of love. The timeline is considerably lengthened with Konoha having 8 Hokages already near the beginning of the fic. Most of the changes though are based on the clans of Konoha, the politics of the shinobi world, its history, and the consequent deviations from canon it causes in the people who live in it. It's very fascinating and I was thouroughly engrossed in it for the better part of the day. The Sakura in this fic is especially interesting.

I enjoy how the history of the shinobi world is let out in small bits and pieces, which makes any tidbit you get that much more fascinating. It's also interesting to note that the lore of the world's been built from the ground up in some pretty creative ways. While maintaining the basic power structure of Konoha, the academy system's been tweaked to be a bit more realistic along with some other nice subtle changes.

I've rambled long enough, saying more would be telling. Tl;dr I really liked it.

"Those who show others the way must not avert their eyes from the weight of responsibility."