News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Dracos, June 20, 2005, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepanda

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Merc on December 09, 2016, 09:43:44 PM
And yes, 'Hero is a dick' is very popular in xianxia (and really, anything from Asia really). I assume it has to do with some cultural thing that leads to characters like Sasuke from Naruto and other assholes being popular. Or just the wish fullfilment part of some authors on their MC being on a power trip ala Perfect Lionheart/Skysaber.
I kind of suspect it's the later.  Not sure why, though.  Or maybe Asia is going though an antihero phrase.

I've been following ATTE as well. Bai Xiaochun is a lovable scamp... that you want to punch in the face if you actually live with him. There's a lot of similarities between him and Meng Hao, though I think Bai is slightly better fleshed out (which makes sense if ATTE is a newer work). Not sure if that will last, as I think the whole 'stronger than he looks/acts' schtick is starting to get old there. Hopefully more development and/or supporting cast shows up.

Looks like wuxiaworld acquired the English translation license.  And it's being translated from scratch.

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

That chapter was fairly brutal.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Dracos

Surprising how many people thought that, but didn't really get bothered by Bakuda getting lead piped into the ground and brutalized until she begged for being a hero and clung bloodily to milita's feet.
Well, Goodbye.

Yuthirin

Eh, what's a good piping between friends?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

thepanda

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Merc

Quote from: Dracos on December 27, 2016, 09:41:41 PM
I am reading the story of a young girl and three very special friends.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/with-friends-like-these-altpower-taylor-worm.312205/

Heh, I remember that.

There was also a story with a very similar premise called ...Who Needs Enemies?

It's the story of the same young girl and the same very special friends... With just a pinch less tiny and adorable.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Yuthirin

That one is still being sporadically updated, Merc.

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12293902/1/Saotome-Art-Online

Ozzallos lives.

[spoiler]

Premise isn't bad, though something about it puts me off. I'm not really sure what it is. The first chapter left me ice cold in spite of everything else.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Merc

...Because of course Ranma chose to play the VR game as a girl.

I will give it kudos for the fact that it's apparently keeping the SAO main character as the hero apparently instead of Ranma magically taking his place due to his martial arts knowledge, at least.

It does feel very off in general for a variety of reasons.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12295996/1/Puella-Magi-Saotome-Magica

Ozzallos is just slinging them up this week.

First chapter would make a great one shot, but I get the impression it's anything but. Alas.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Quote from: Merc on December 27, 2016, 09:54:00 PM
Quote from: Dracos on December 27, 2016, 09:41:41 PM
I am reading the story of a young girl and three very special friends.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/with-friends-like-these-altpower-taylor-worm.312205/

Heh, I remember that.

There was also a story with a very similar premise called ...Who Needs Enemies?

It's the story of the same young girl and the same very special friends... With just a pinch less tiny and adorable.

Yeah, I read them both, but I really feel that who needs enemies lost its way something hard pretty early in it.  The endbringers got rather reworked in odd fashions too.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Anastasia on December 28, 2016, 11:37:36 PM
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12293902/1/Saotome-Art-Online

Ozzallos lives.

[spoiler]

Premise isn't bad, though something about it puts me off. I'm not really sure what it is. The first chapter left me ice cold in spite of everything else.

Kinda weird seeing it finally posted.  He had that on some forum...like 2-3 years ago.  Guess he's finally clearing out the old stuff?
Well, Goodbye.