News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

BESM - Antagonists and Power Scale

Started by Dracos, September 07, 2010, 12:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

So read through the book.  As folks know I am running this for the first time (Evar).  Was wondering if folks had a general tips (or sites) on building enemies in this system?

Figured I should ask before I start whipping up a variety of simple youma types and a few boss types to get us started.  Not much clear on what is appropriate challenge for a set of x point characters.  I suppose I could just take potential dice rolls and go based on one tier down stats, but I was wondering if there are good rules of thumb.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

The important thing with BESM is that extra attacks should be restricted on the players' side, and extra defenses be used often by enemies, particularly solo enemies, not to mention some good large health padding.

This is because BESM punishes a character for making more than one defense in a round, and PCs will almost always gang up on a villain (even in a group). That makes the extra attack attribute pretty powerful for PCs, and the extra defense/health vital for enemies.

It's also a bit annoying because usually it's helpful to be the first to go in a round. In this system, you're at an advantage if you're making the fourth attack on the villain. Refer to page 145 for more on that.

I'd probably say start by building villains with the same points as a PC, using some points for extra defenses attribute, and then adjusting from there. Anime villains are always at their weakest first session, anyhow!

Probably want to hit up Dune for his experience with tristat DX and sailor moon. I would imagine the same stuff applies, since it's the same (roughly) system stuff. But the main thing to watch out is the attack/defense penalties.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.