News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Backgrounds

Started by Dracos, September 19, 2005, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Okay, I've got a character up.  Maybe approved.  Maybe not.  Time to discuss backgrounds...

And...uh, in the time writing this a simple majority was reached =P

[09:00] <Dracos> Anyhow
[09:00] <Dracos> you guys all keen with the whole 'old friends from the same city' deal?
[09:01] <C-Rat> I don't have a problem with it.
[09:02] <Hotaru-chan> Sure.
[09:04] <Dracos> See, there we go.  We have 3 agreeing, that's now the deal =P
[09:04] <Dracos> Now all we have to do is write that into our backgrounds.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

[09:05] <C-Rat> What name shall we give the city?
[09:05] <C-Rat> I vote that one of the syllables be 'Burg'.
[09:05] <Dracos> Pax Burg
[09:05] <Dracos> =p
[09:06] <Dracos> Anyhow, city is a sort of melting pot atmosphere under a king with the knight's being the defenders of it with elves and dwarves being fairly common residents?
[09:07] <Hotaru-chan> Probably a good guess, though I suspect there'd still be some divisions.
[09:07] <C-Rat> I'd imagine it's like.. the centre of 'good' land, or some such.
[09:07] <C-Rat> So yes, some elves and dwarves live there, but I don't think there would be so many as to have a sizable 'elf district'.
[09:08] <Dracos> Yeah.
[09:08] <Dracos> Let dune work out the details elsewise.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

To expand on what Dracos and Rat have considered:

Paxburg, Holy Kingdom of Almekia. The port town capital of Almekia's southern district - a town of peace, surrounded by sapphire seas and verdant forests to it's sides, and a slowly spreading plain to it's north. Named 'The City of Peace' in the Elder Speech. The trading hilt of The Holy Kingdom, blessed with warmth and nearly eternal spring and summer. A burg of advancement, culture and the legendary Knights of Solamnia. Ruled by Knight Lord Alexander O'Raithe Sunbane and Royal Duke Eustance Wormwoods, Paxburg is a jewel in the crowd of the kingdom.

With a port, wealth and trade, Paxburg is a city of meetings - a place where the rich, the poor, the ambitious, those without a want in all the known world; this is where they come to meet. A giant mess of a city - from the refined Platinum Streets, the elite estates of the high nobility, the richest merchants; the Quarter of the Knights and the restored Zebenm's Post; the squalid despair of the Giant's Underfoot's slums; Wormwoods Trade Market, where the vast majority of gold and coin pass through into the kingdom.

The elves and dwarves, normally away from humans, even maintain a small post each, an embassy of trade and political interest.  A rarity in the garish world of the humans - quite a feat.

---

This look like a good start with plenty of pulls and something of a beginning atmosphere?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Carthrat

Mmm. Let's expand on the 'holy' atmosphere, and religion in general, I think. As you said, a major 'good' and a major 'evil' god, with a smatterings off lesser deities below them, and some minor ones in between.

If the city is a holy city, does it pay attention only to the clearly 'good' gods? What service does it give to the minor gods? There's presumably no open worship of the evil gods, I guess.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Asrana

Mmm...so a small outpost from each? I was brought along by my parents? Or an apprentice to the guards?

Musing outloud here.

Made local friends against suggestion, and ended up not wanting to return the forest kingdom at the end of my apprenticeship? So traveling/wandering/jobseeking?
lt;Kotono>  (Currently looks like a 16-year-old girl):I walk up to the leader and say, "Are you so sure you want our money?" and use my alter self ability to grow a massive bulge in my pants.

Dracos

Well, if you were an apprentice during the same time I'd be being one, that'd be a good area to have past friendship.

I'd assume we'd not be 'apprentices' by level 1, at least according to the D&D version of it.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Asrana

Yeah, basically. "You're level 1! Time to go home!"

"Hey, I like it here, I think I'll stay."

So yeah...part of entourages that met on the sidelines of something actually important?

Boredom strikes even us elves!

With 10 Charisma, I can't claim you were attracted by my etheral beauty. ;_;
lt;Kotono>  (Currently looks like a 16-year-old girl):I walk up to the leader and say, "Are you so sure you want our money?" and use my alter self ability to grow a massive bulge in my pants.

Anastasia

Quote from: "Carthrat"Mmm. Let's expand on the 'holy' atmosphere, and religion in general, I think. As you said, a major 'good' and a major 'evil' god, with a smatterings off lesser deities below them, and some minor ones in between.

If the city is a holy city, does it pay attention only to the clearly 'good' gods? What service does it give to the minor gods? There's presumably no open worship of the evil gods, I guess.

Offhand, I used the term Holy as more of a honorific, the same way that Holy feels in the Holy Roman Empire. It's more an effort to build a feel of gradiosity to the kingdom of Almekia, but hmm.

That said, let me point out it's the Holy Kingdom, not the Holy City.

I'm still brewing up the gods and goddesses of the world, so I'll have more information on them soon. For example, Zebenm's Post is named after Zebenm, god of the sea and one of the inbetween gods. As far as worship goes, it's normal to the stereotype - the gods of good are revered, and the gods inbetween are often either revered or respected. The ones of evil are vile things, worshipped by dark magi and those that live in the shadows.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Holy as an honorific works nicely for me.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Sunhawk

I could work with this.

Carthrat

With 13 charisma, I can claim you were attracted by min~

Wait.

>_>

Anyway, apprenticeships sounds good. If Trunky is playing a mage, it's not hard for us to come up with a background.

May and I are elves, which is like half our background by itself, and a fairly easy link. Drac's a knight- any religous leanings there? If not, well, I could've been introduced to you by May or some such.

Sunhawk and Merc, I don't know yet.

Sunhawk

I'm an elf (nominally).  Oh, yeah... changed to mage/thief, as singing/music didn't really fit the concept.

Dracos

Quote from: "Carthrat"With 13 charisma, I can claim you were attracted by min~

Wait.

>_>

Anyway, apprenticeships sounds good. If Trunky is playing a mage, it's not hard for us to come up with a background.

May and I are elves, which is like half our background by itself, and a fairly easy link. Drac's a knight- any religous leanings there? If not, well, I could've been introduced to you by May or some such.

Sunhawk and Merc, I don't know yet.

Well, was going with there being a general leaning towards a god of good, Paladine, of the knights, but more of a ceremonial thing than actually intending to bring forward.  More focused on the heroic tales and history.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: "Sunhawk"I'm an elf (nominally).  Oh, yeah... changed to mage/thief, as singing/music didn't really fit the concept.

Not druid?  We really are a bit heavy mage.

I guess maybe all of you specialize in different areas?

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Carthrat

Multi-class mages can't specialize, per se..