News:

"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Appreciations of the day

Started by thepanda, November 25, 2005, 11:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

Did you beat Hal and Drac in round 2 of Roll for the Galaxy?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Kaldrak

Oh goodness me, no. My strategy of putting out lots of small planets and technologies was completely ineffective. Was fun though.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Yuthirin

A space empire-building dice game? Sign me up.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Merc

We shall endeavor to invite you the next time we gather for gaming on the Tabletop Simulator then!

Merc

Had a couple of fun games playing a Reno Mage deck tonight on Hearthstone, trying to simultaneously complete two quests and a last minute climb to rank 20 for the February card back.

Not the best deck for ranking up quickly (every game lasted at LEAST 15-20 minutes), but I really do enjoy playing control decks way more than aggro decks, and those quests kinda just aligned for that (had the play 50 Mage cards and play 10 Secrets quests).

Gonna miss Reno, Thaurissian and Brann when they're gone next expansion (from standard at least). Wonder if it'll even be possible to play control at that point without spending a ridiculous amount of dust and gold. Control decks are often more expensive to craft than aggro decks, and I didn't have a lot of luck with what cards packs I got out of Whispers/Gadgetzan for epics and legendaries (Although I did get a Raza, even if I haven't been able to really build a deck around him).

Going to be worse next standard cycle since you will no longer be able to get legendaries off adventures, just card packs or dust. That'll suck.

Iron Dragoon

I've had an exceedingly good year at work so far. In January my base pay got bumped to $15/he, then in Feb my review came up and I got a $1.05 raise on top, and then today I was told I got a promotion to Team Lead for $17.39.

Gotta say, that cuts the legs out from under most of the complaints I had. That's crazy good money for working in a warehouse.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Rukatin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 04, 2017, 09:48:15 PM
I've had an exceedingly good year at work so far. In January my base pay got bumped to $15/he, then in Feb my review came up and I got a $1.05 raise on top, and then today I was told I got a promotion to Team Lead for $17.39.

Gotta say, that cuts the legs out from under most of the complaints I had. That's crazy good money for working in a warehouse.

I've actually been thinking of getting a warehouse job. There's a couple close to where I already work. What's it like?
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Ranma_007

I feel your pain, Merc. Expecially with the cash grab by Blizzard.

Anastasia

Quote from: Rukatin on March 05, 2017, 03:48:40 AM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 04, 2017, 09:48:15 PM

I've actually been thinking of getting a warehouse job. There's a couple close to where I already work. What's it like?

I do warehouse work too, so I'll chime in. It's tough and demand physical labor. Expect lots of heavy lifting and being on your feet all shift. Details vary from warehouse to warehouse, but it's not a slack job.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Kaldrak

My dad sent me the soundtrack to Hamilton.

It's really quite good and now I have...historical rap/pop music floating around in my brain? The thought of this just tickles me.
"Do what you want to do. Do what you like doing. Write the stories you want to see written and give other people the same courtesy. That is all that is important."

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Rukatin on March 05, 2017, 03:48:40 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 05, 2017, 08:20:48 PM
I do warehouse work too, so I'll chime in. It's tough and demand physical labor. Expect lots of heavy lifting and being on your feet all shift. Details vary from warehouse to warehouse, but it's not a slack job.

Ana's right, it's lots of physical stuff, but it also depends on what type of warehouse. Ana and I work in retail warehouses, so the pace is a lot faster due to customers. If you're in an industrial or supply warehouse, it's a lot slower, steady pace.

For me, the difficult part of it is the walking. I average 15,000 to 20,000 steps. That's roughly 7-10 miles per day, five days a week. That's a lotta walking and by the end of the week, I'm ready to wear nothing but flip flops.

The second hardest part is dealing with customers. While I'm pretty good at it from dealing with bitchy officers in my previous job, I tend to really not like people in general, so my tolerance for whiny ass customers who want things their way when they don't understand how to load things safely tends to be barely above zero.

That said, it keeps you active and in shape, and you can drop weight and gain endurance quickly if you eat right. The people who work warehouse jobs tend to be rougher around the edges, too, with much better senses of humor. IE, you don't really have to worry about people whining to HR over shit and they tend to get along with each other better than people in an office setting.

I will suggest that if you do get into a warehouse, go for whatever equipment operator they offer. Learning forklifts and jazz can pretty much guarantee a decent job.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Seconding Iddy, with one point worth commenting on:

QuoteThe people who work warehouse jobs tend to be rougher around the edges, too, with much better senses of humor. IE, you don't really have to worry about people whining to HR over shit and they tend to get along with each other better than people in an office setting.

Generally true, but make sure you fit into the group you find yourself in. A good fit's important in any job, but it's extra important in a job like this. It's already a lot of physical labor so that's one stressor. If you don't fit and get along with your co-workers, you're not going to have a good time of it.

For that matter, try and get a boss you get along with. This one's tough and some people deal with bad bosses better than others. I say this because I don't get along with my current boss on a professional or personal level, which adds all sorts of complications to the situation. That's less warehouse work advice and more general work advice, though.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Ranma_007 on March 05, 2017, 05:35:53 PM
I feel your pain, Merc. Expecially with the cash grab by Blizzard.
Why is anyone surprised that Blizzard is making a move to make more money? This is what companies do.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Rukatin

Thanks for the advice guys. I just did an online application, so I'll let you know how it'll turn out.
I'm going to need your signature for the metric ton of whoop-ass you're about to receive.

"A 'Cult'? Such disrespect for other people's beliefs."
"You enslave minds!"
"And I believe that's okay."

Merc

Just reached 5 years at my workplace. Work still sucks, clients still suck, and I feel like I'm getting an ulcer or the sort.

But on the other hand, got a raise that was about twice the average that others have been getting (and various people haven't even gotten one), I'll start getting an extra week of vacation per year, and got the 5 year package from which I'll have to pick out some goodie. So yay for that, I suppose.