Gangsta's Paradise

Started by Carthrat, August 20, 2002, 07:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

I was running this through my head, and I though, why not give it a shot?

There's no magic. No dark monsters. No dragons. No dungeons in the stereotypical sense.

The things out there are just, if not more so dangerous.

Gangsters control cities all but in name. Cops work tirelessly to try and protect and serve.. but when so many have turned to the other side after seeing the futility of their efforts...

Few make a disciplined effort in the persuit of justice. Few can even conceive the notion of standing against the unwritten lawmakers, the Mafia.

But their control is less than it appears...

The gangs as whole may control the city.. but their division is what makes fighting them even possible. Their lack of unity may keep their numbers down, but it creates havoc like none before...

There are those few, those few who are in a position to make a difference. Aligned to nobody, they are freelance... until they start to work.

Their choices will affect a city.. and the course it's leadership will take. Will the Mafia rise to dominance? Or perhaps the Yakuza..

They may even fight for Law and Justice.. two principles that are in scant supply... they may fight to bring decency to the world...

Or they may fight for themselves and their own gain, owning allegience to nobody. A short life, but a full one.

Welcome to the Real World.

At this point, expression of intrest only. If I do start runnning this, it won't be till at *least* October. But considering that this is a fairly serious, mainly plot-driver RPG, I'll need to start writing notes on it soon if I'm going to do it.

Roughly 4-5 players would be optimal. Depending on the allegience the players take, I may need to run multiple folders.

No magic abilities, ki abilities or any such thing. If you could do it in Real Life, you can do it here.

Anyone who claims that they "studied in a Shaolin temple for all their life" will be hung, drawn and quartered if I even let them in the game.
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Kwokinator

Cool!  This RPG sounds sweet ^_^

Question.  What gang is this?  Or rather, what country?  The HK triads act differently than the Yakuza, who acts differently than the Mafia, who acts differently than American street gangs, etc.

Carthrat

Not sure yet.

You do realise your chances of getting in this RPG are even slimmer than the chances of it actually being done? ^^

Kwokinator

Heh.  At least you didn't say zero percent chance ^_^

thepanda

Sounds niffty.^^

Perhaps I vould play a "good" cop, yes?

Ginnezumusha

Wow, so, if you've never fired a gun before in your life, you'd have to learn in the game?

*considers signing up for the "Hong Kong Drug Lab Scientist"*

Asrana

I'm interested, I'll hit you over AIM or IRC with character concept, Rat.
lt;Kotono>  (Currently looks like a 16-year-old girl):I walk up to the leader and say, "Are you so sure you want our money?" and use my alter self ability to grow a massive bulge in my pants.

Carthrat

Ok, with intrest up (surprisingly), I'll do a more in depth description... now.

The initial story is set in the city of... Melbourne. In three years. And it's changed somewhat.

The city is now a hotbed of crime and hatred. It's isolated position from the rest of the crime world means that it's only real outside 'partner' city is Sydney, and of course the occasoinal contact in the US.

There are now no less than four main gangs, and probably far more smaller ones, all out to cheat, lie, steal and backstab one another. The gangs are:

The Italian Mafia
The Japanese Yakuza
The Chinese Triads
The Australian 'Collectors'

The main city area is divided up between them, and they maintain scattered holdings throughout Suburbia, along with a dozen of lesser gangs.

A few things about guns and such.

Guns are *very* hard to get through legal channels in Australia, and while the cop system isn't particularly good, they crack down on unlicensed discharges of weaponary very hard.

Of course, not all cops are straight. In fact, only about a quarter of them are, and most of them have desk jobs. Play smart.

When you submit your offical bio, I need a reason for your being in Melbourne. Dosn't matter how contrived, but I need *something*.

Remember, it's the year 2005. Drugs have taken down new and exciting avenues, but only for the users. Money comes in two sizes: Really big and not that bloody much.

And of course, unless you indicate so in your bio, you are at the start of the game unaffilated with any group..

Any questions, direct to me and I'll add them here!