News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

The "What Are You Playing Today" Thread

Started by Dracos, December 29, 2005, 01:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carthrat

I finished VVVVV. I like torturous jumping games. Gonna get started on Super Meat Boy one of these days.

(but since most of my online gaming continues to be Starcraft with the occasional roguelike for wimps tossed in, I might be a while. I bought the bundle, though! I owns it!)
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Brian

V^V didn't do much for me.  Got 5 shinies, would probably appreciate it more if 'rooms' didn't have the possibility of being larger than 'screens'.  Gratuitous Space Battles ... got sick of it before the tutorial finished, really bummed that you don't actually do anything but design fleets and watch them fight.  Don't regret the investment; just now have tons of 'indie cred' games I probably won't be doing anything with.
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Dracos

Played some shank.

It was pretty playable with keyboard, provided you immediately remap the defaults to something not designed to rely constantly on pinky motion.
Well, Goodbye.

Jason_Miao

Quote from: Carthrat on December 21, 2011, 01:30:16 AM
with the occasional roguelike for wimps tossed in

?

I tend to be interesting in finding roguelikes I haven't played before, so am curious to which one(s) you're referring.

Brian

Dungeons of Dreadmore, judging by his Steam status.

~exploding tag~

Carthrat

That and Binding of Issac, recently. Real-time games can be roguelikes too!
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Brian

Ugh, more Skyrim.  Today: The dungeon of Casters.  They can all be one-shot by a heavy melee/armor guy!

Watch out for the boss, her defense in robes is better than your defense in plate, and she has a spell that can one-shot you.  She also has way, way more health than a player who has devoted half of his levels to health.  Times 'kill' command has been required for 'at-level' bosses: 2.

Not doing a good job of this, Bethesda.  Not at all.

~exploding tag~

Anastasia

Now playing: Faxanadu on the NES. For some reason I feel obligated to replay this during the holidays. I chalk this up to a blend of nostalgia and...well, nostalgia. It's not a bad game, but I don't really need to play it every year.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Do willow next!

Re: Skyrim

I remember hearing that they intended boss fights as some kind of puzzle.

Still, seems lame.

Anyhow, been playing some godfather 2.  The voice and narrative work is a massive step down from Godfather 1, but it's basically an excuse to play city conquest mobster, so it's still fun.
Well, Goodbye.

Ebiris

I think the only enemy that gave me real trouble in Skyrim was a Draugr Deathlord in the dungeon with the ghost that tells you about the sealed lich. I had to run away and gain about five more levels before I came back and then breezed through the rest of the dungeon after killing him.

If you're having trouble consistently are you just not using dragon shouts at all? Or did you raise speechcraft/smithing/lockpicking to 100 to gain loads of levels without improving your combat skills and break the curve?

Brian

I ... have ... a shout. >_>;;

And a pile of dragon souls--

Okay, time to see what those dudes on the hill want with me. <_<;;;

~exploding tag~

Ebiris

Quote from: Brian on December 23, 2011, 07:05:05 PM
I ... have ... a shout. >_>;;

And a pile of dragon souls--

Okay, time to see what those dudes on the hill want with me. <_<;;;

Have you ever played any of the Jedi Knight games where the best tactic is to use force push and knock guys with lots of hp off of ledges to instantly kill them?

(there are tons more shouts most of which are excessively useful in combat, but that's the best one if you get it upgraded)

Brian

I haven't, really.  But wouldn't that cost me precious loot?

~exploding tag~

Muphrid

Quote from: Ebiris on December 23, 2011, 07:21:11 PMHave you ever played any of the Jedi Knight games where the best tactic is to use force push and knock guys with lots of hp off of ledges to instantly kill them?

(there are tons more shouts most of which are excessively useful in combat, but that's the best one if you get it upgraded)

They've preserved this tactic in the new Star Wars game, too.  You miss loot, but I think you still get XP and mission credit for doing so.

Jon

Quote from: Brian on December 23, 2011, 08:57:26 PM
I haven't, really.  But wouldn't that cost me precious loot?

Only if you fail to go down the cliff and find their bodies before the bodies despawn.