Image of the Day

Started by Merc, January 30, 2006, 12:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

* Brian rubs eyes.

Izzat ... Mado-kami?  With flowers referencing Mami?  Very nice!
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

While on the subject of "Mercury", I submit for your consideration:

"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?" -James Thurber
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Merc

If I was going to have an imaginary girlfriend, I'd pick someone with a bit more... bust to her. =p
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Merc on November 15, 2011, 07:52:38 PM
If I was going to have an imaginary girlfriend, I'd pick someone with a bit more... bust to her. =p
AAAAH~! We have another Ragnar in our midst! =p

Bust or bust? =p
"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." -Bill Vaughan
"Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage." -Robert A. Heinlein
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split..." –Conan the Cimmerian, The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard
"Well, it's like the man says... Never take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive." -Bugs Bunny, Rabbit's Feat, 1960

Merc

I don't like 'em quite as BIG as Ragnar does. I like 'em just the right size, thank you very much!
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Sinom Bre

Lord of the Rings 2000 years later? I always think of LotR when I see this pic for some reason.

Have I mentioned how much the image rendering on this forum sucks? Try saving this pic off and looking at it in a decent image viewer, like CDisplay or something. It's a striking pic that this rendering almost completely ruins--the sharpness is dulled, light-dark contrast is compressed, and the color saturation is bleached.

Re-uploaded using a different service: postimage.org. Ironically, the forum resizes the pic slightly larger than before, although there is still a slight decrease in sharpness, but if you open the pic in a separate tab, as Jon suggested, both the resizing and the sharpness issues go away.

Brian

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Jon

Quote from: Sinom Bre on November 16, 2011, 07:57:41 PM
Have I mentioned how much the image rendering on this forum sucks?

By "this forum" you mean "your browser"? The forum doesn't render the images, after all.

Though the forum background colors can affect the relative color balance you see; it's an optical illusion, nothing more. Try right-clicking on the image and choosing "open image in new tab" (and if you don't have that option, get a better browser).

Brian

Quote from: Jon on November 16, 2011, 08:23:05 PM(and if you don't have that option, get google Chrome).

Fixed that for ya, Jon. :3

Missed that earlier, but this is almost certainly an issue with your browser (probably Internet Explorer).  The image I see in the forums on the browser is identical to the one I can save to desktop and view otherwise (or open in a new page/tab).  Also, if you ARE using Ie, it may still try and fit the image in a single screen, even if you open it in a new window/tab.  :x

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Jon on November 16, 2011, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: Sinom Bre on November 16, 2011, 07:57:41 PM
Have I mentioned how much the image rendering on this forum sucks?

By "this forum" you mean "your browser"? The forum doesn't render the images, after all.

Though the forum background colors can affect the relative color balance you see; it's an optical illusion, nothing more. Try right-clicking on the image and choosing "open image in new tab" (and if you don't have that option, get a better browser).

Okay, I'll accept that it isn't the forum's fault. However, I have looked at the images in other browsers, and they are only slightly better. In that case, I suspect my image viewer is applying some measure of image enhancement. It's the only thing I can think of. Unfortunately, the image viewer I use, CDisplay, doesn't tell you what it's doing other than giving a bunch of numbers and a description that I can't equate easily to settings in Gimp. Otherwise, I'd run the images through Gimp, make the changes, and then upload. I may fiddle with it some more and see what I can do.

One thing that shouldn't be happening regardless is the lessening of sharpness, as far as I can tell. The pic is razor sharp in my viewer (which gives no setting information for that nor shows a checkbox of any kind) and in Gimp (without adjustment). Very frustrating.

Brian: I use Firefox, but I've looked at them in IE and Google Chrome, so I think I've covered my bases there.

Edit: The forum is resizing the image down about 10% or so. I think that may be the cause of the sharpness issue in part.

Edit 2: Ugg. More than 10%. More like 20%.

Brian

Quick tech-test for me, Sinom--  If you resize your window and make it smaller, do the pictures shrink even more?

On my end, I get scrollbars.  It's not automatic on the part of the forum to resize the images.

Edit: Though, now that I think about it, maybe certain THEMES do?  That's a strange thought; I'm not clear on how much they change the style....  I kinda want to help you get this fixed; it really shouldn't be doing that.  :x

~exploding tag~

Sinom Bre

Quote from: Brian on November 16, 2011, 09:00:54 PM
Quick tech-test for me, Sinom--  If you resize your window and make it smaller, do the pictures shrink even more?

On my end, I get scrollbars.  It's not automatic on the part of the forum to resize the images.

No, the picture size remains the same, and I get scrollbars if it's too much. I just now realized how much it's getting resized somewhere in the process.

I just tried opening the file directly from the hard drive, and there's no resizing in Firefox and the pic looks pretty good, although the color balance is a little off from what I'm seeing in CDisplay. Either the forum is resizing the image from tinypic.com, or tinypic is resizing it. Let me test that real fast... ... Okay. It looks like tinypic.com is the resizing culprit. I may have to find a different image storage location.

Jon

I use either imgur.com or my own server.

Amusing thought: "This image is smaller, and I can't figure out why. All I did was host it on Tinypic.com!" (Yes, I know, it's a derivation of tinyurl, and not actually supposed to be resizing images. But still.)

Sinom Bre

Re-uploaded using a different service: postimage.org. Ironically, the forum resizes the pic slightly larger than before, although there is still a slight decrease in sharpness, but if you open the pic in a separate tab, as Jon suggested, both the resizing and the sharpness issues go away. Ahhhhh, looks so much better... :)

Quote from: Jon on November 16, 2011, 09:22:16 PM
I use either imgur.com or my own server.

Amusing thought: "This image is smaller, and I can't figure out why. All I did was host it on Tinypic.com!" (Yes, I know, it's a derivation of tinyurl, and not actually supposed to be resizing images. But still.)

Hah. Funny point. But as I found out, tinypic wasn't the only one doing it.