News:

"With great power comes the opportunity to abuse that power."

Main Menu

Do you watch/pay attention to any other games?

Started by Anastasia, September 13, 2006, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

So it's a simple question. Do you lurk or pay attention to any games you don't play in? Be it board reading, watching IRC sessions, whatever. If so, which games and what do you think of 'em? I'm pretty much fishing for intergame feedbacks and thoughts, since observers often have differing views from the GM/PCs.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Bloody Fields:

I keep an eye on this game on IRC whenever I'm around to watch it. Uh, lessee. It's not my type of game, a very dark/gritty 3rd edition game that largely focuses on combat and character struggles/death. I still enjoy watching it quite a bit, moreso since Rat's a good GM and most of the players are quite competent.
<Afina> Forever.

Carthrat

On the other hand, I only kind of hang around the SM rooms without really watching at all. Figures. >_>

In fact, I don't really keep up with the games of other people. I have in the past; tDaT and COR spring to mind. (Ironically, I started playing in the former, albeit briefly, which brings to mind another question; when it comes to establishing players in your games, how willing are you to pick up someone midway through? Do you lock in the number of players?)
[19:14] <Annerose> Aww, mouth not outpacing brain after all?
[19:14] <Candide> My brain caught up

Anastasia

Quote from: "Carthrat"On the other hand, I only kind of hang around the SM rooms without really watching at all. Figures. >_>

In fact, I don't really keep up with the games of other people. I have in the past; tDaT and COR spring to mind. (Ironically, I started playing in the former, albeit briefly, which brings to mind another question; when it comes to establishing players in your games, how willing are you to pick up someone midway through? Do you lock in the number of players?)

Heh, funny how things work out, Rat. Anyway, to the point you made? I'm more than willing to - good games need more fuel to grow with and old players benefit from new contacts. At worst, a new PC doesn't work out and he can be snipped.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Watching: I do, but not aggressively.  Even less so these days.

I've always been more interested in the act of gaming than the rereading of logs of such really.  Talking with folks about there games?  Sure, but I much prefer hearing the tales from the people than 'roll 1d20' 'roll 2d12' 'roll..xxx'.  I tend to find either it's very raw OR extremely narrative and conversational to the point that unless you really care about the characters it's hard to follow.  I'm like rat, I hang around in mk to talk to folks and in fact, usually the actual mk stuff is often off putting since I recognize I'm not interested in the actual game and don't really want to hear it.

Re: Opening for new chars

I do sometimes.  Not often, folks always ask me and I'm like "Not doing it at the second...starting one new one soon though" and tend to vanish when I post the new one a few days later.
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

I've only been semi-following Eb's D&D game and to a much smaller degree, the SM Redux Arc 2. Outside of that, no, I don't follow games I don't play in.

Generally, games that are of interest to me are the ones I would have tried to join. If I couldn't join, I'd just feel annoyed if it looked fun, so why annoy myself?

Now OOC channels, -those- tend to be more interesting. The half-following I do of Eb's game is more an effect of me watching the OOC channel and looking at the game only when something interesting gets mentioned in that channel. Ditto for SMRA2, though less so there because it's handled on many more channels and I just hate to idle in channels where I won't say -anything- at all.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.