Re:Is Windows XP really worth it?

Started by tabyk, March 10, 2003, 11:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alucard

Well it might run smoothly for now but give it time. XP is worthless in every sense of the word. Windows gets more and more unstable and eats up more and more computer resources with every new version. I have XP on this comp and its good for nothing.

My advice: get a Mac...

Dracos

I find if you have a certain level of power it runs rather smoothly and is simple to use.

If you don't it's complete crap.  If you want something really good, go elsewhere.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.

Ginnezumusha

Alucard

Quote from: Ginnezumusha on March 11, 2003, 05:57:39 AM
My advice to Alucard:  RTFM.

If only I knew what that meant I would know whether I should be insulted or happy....

Jeram

I believe that RTFM is most commonly used to mean: Read the F'in Manual
t takes a mighty pen to write fanfiction.

-Jeram

Alucard

Ah. Thank you. I've definitely read the manual (though it was totally uneccesary and I wouldn't recommend it). Knowing how to use XP doens't make it any better. If you have something against Mac get Linux or Unix but for God's sake only use XP if you're getting a cheap desktop PC for non-computer related work or just internet usage and file storage.

Personally, after I graduate I plan to buy a really cheap PC for work/compatabilite's sake and then get the best high-priced Mac my money can buy for my personal use.

I'll give you an example. I have one really out of date Mac at home (at least it can connect to the internet). Guess how many times the latest version of Netscape has crashed on it? Virtually never. Guess how often the latest versions of Netscape and Explorer crash on Windows XP? Weekly if not daily...

Same goes for the operating system itself. I get the blue screen of death monthly if not more. With my Macs at home I've gone for years at a time without fatal system errors.

Dracos

Okay, I don't think this argument really is going to go anywhere worthwhile.  There are fans of all sides on here and those who hate all sides.  Thread closed.

Fearless Leader
Well, Goodbye.