News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Game Information & Announcements

Started by Merc, August 26, 2003, 06:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merc

First, download the 2nd Edition BESM book if you don't have it. It covers in detail everything not in the next link's website, such as details on attribute/skills, game system, battle system, HP/EP recovery, etc. Be familiar with the game system and your character's attributes/skills.

Second, visit this website covering the fanmade BESM Slayers system. Seems to make sense from what I've seen of it, so we'll definitely be using it. If you have any problems, suggestions or comments regarding this system, tell me, and we'll see about dealing with that.

Changes
-----------
On Attributes/Skills: Animal Friendship, Animal Training, Flunkies, and Pet Monster aren't allowed. Extra Attacks and Divine Relationship are not allowed for making attacks of level 5-6 spells. Extra Attacks is also not allowed past level 2. Kensei abilities (page 7), are allowed, with the exception of katanaspace and two weapons. You -must- have melee attack skills for the appropriate weapon though.

On Spells: No spell creation, as there's already a buttload of spells available. Gaav Flare and Laguna Blast don't work (If you have points to spare and your character used to know 'em, feel free to include for the sake of "realism", otherwise, don't worry about 'em). For obvious reasons, Laguna Blade and Giga Slave are Lina only spells, and I must be consulted before either is used, as I may very likely deny usage in most cases due to their danger level. Seeing the game end cause the world exploded due to a bad dice roll would suck. ^_^;;

On Defects: Female human spellcasters, remember to watch out for that time of the month, in which the best magic you can do is level 1 spells. Also, although the webpage doesn't list this, list it as "Time of the Month" defect, at 1BP, in your sheets.

On Original Characters: Remember, no mazoku or dragons. Non-human characters (trolls, vampires, werewolves, fishmen, etc) may be allowed, though please discuss it with me before submitting a character sheet.

Character Sheets
----------------------
To start making your character sheets, use 18 Stat Points and 35 Attribute Points. Corwin, Ebiris and Ranma007 can use the sheets available there for reference and the others can use them as examples.

Bonuses: Lina gets 10 extra Attribute Points to play with. I may also give background points for background history of your characters.

Final Notes
--------------
Game will be forum-based, using this system and me doing any necessary rolls. Some stuff will not have rolls, such as initiative rolls, just because it's hard to pull off some of the stuff in a forum-based environment.

Occassionally, there'll be IRC supplement games too. Post times you can play on the "IRC Gameplay Times", though it's not necessary to do it just now. For these games, I'll try to have a dicebot for rolling.

Game will start at tavern just following the events of Slayers Next. Amelia will have already departed, leaving Lina, Gourry and Zel alone.

While most characters will probably also be introduced in the tavern, I might choose to introduce you a bit later, after seeing your sheet/background and talking with you. Details on the adventure will come during the tavern. Suffice to say though, it'll involve searching for something that certain parties don't want to be found.

EDIT1: Added Kensei to allowed attributes. Thanks Eb.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Merc

Announcement regarding spells after discussion with Corwin:

Of the 3 GM permission spells, Blast Bomb, Laguna Blade and Giga Slave, the first two are free to use without GM permission. I -will- make the spells GM permission if abused and overused. Giga Slave, I must be consulted before the spell being used. All 3 spells are allowed in the game, however your character better have a good reason for knowing the spells. Laguna Blade and Giga Slave obviously wouldn't be known to anyone other than Lina, but Blast Bomb, you can try to convince me if you really want it.

Remember to also read the descriptions on the spells, some spells aren't GM restricted, but do have player restrictions, such as Chaos Disintrigate being a golden dragon spell, thus not allowed.

Also, on the mechanics of spell usage, Corwin and I were trying to figure out how they work as the explanation on the page and pdf weren't the clearest. We finally agreed on this:

To first -cast- a spell, you need to do a soul stat check roll. It works out as such: Your roll must be less than the result of Soul Stat + Magic Attribute Level - Spell Level + Spell/Attribute/Skill Bonus (if any, such as using Sorcery Genius' roll bonus) - Spell/Attribute/Skill/Defect penalty (if any, such as a spellcasting penalty due to spell's difficulty to mantain).

If the spell is made as a non-combat action, that's all that must be rolled. For example, if you summon Ruby-Eye Blade and just hold it to attempt intimidation, that's all you roll. If you summon Windy Shield, that's all you roll, despite it being a defensive move, because you're currently not defending from anything.

However, if the spell is being used to attack/defend, then you must do a second roll to see if the spell hits or is put up in time to defend you. It works out the same as the soul stat roll (well, you can also roll equal to, not just less than), just with the attack or defense combat value accordingly to the action.

There may also be a bonus/penalty due to environment/situation (ie, attacking in the dark would probably give a penalty if you don't have blind fighting kensei, while the opponent freezing from terror at the sight of your spell would give a bonus due to being a sitting duck).

Example: Lina Inverse wishes to use the Laguna Blade spell to attack a very strong mazoku. Assume she has the EP necessary for the cost.

Now, to successfully cast the spell, she must roll lower than 10 (12 (Soul Stat) + 6 (Lina's Magic Level) - 6 (Laguna Blade is a level 6 spell) + 2 (Lina is going for the roll bonus from Sorcery Genius) - 4 (Spell casting penalty)). She rolls a 7, so the spell comes out right.

Now she attempts to attack the mazoku. She must roll lower than 8 (8 (ACV) + 6 (Lina's Magic Level) - 6 (Spell Level) - 4 (Spell penalty for mantaining it) + 1 (Lina has melee attack with swords at L1 and I chose to give her a bonus in this case for it) + 3 (Spell attack bonus on ACV)). Rolling a 6, she hits it and it dies.

EDIT: clarified spell rolling a bit
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.