News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Chapter 2 Logs - (JUSTICE) Shadows of Keita and Ewan Okuro

Started by VySaika, August 13, 2009, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VySaika

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> As the Persona Users stumble back into the Velvet Room(which is of course just as blue as they left it), Theresa pulls out a chair for the obviously injured Hikari and smiles, "Welcome back."
<Nagare> "You're quite resourceful, Theresa. Thanks," the teacher nods as he gently helps Hikari sit.
> "I am The Assistant, that's what I'm here for."
* Hikari stumbles to the chair and sits down. "Thank you," she says to both. She looks like the walking dead by this point.
* Mykasi rubs his head. "So, any commentary on this trip, or will it be another 'go back to the real world and observe the results'?"
* Nagare also picks up a chair wearily and sits down, breathing deeply. "God, this was goddamned awful."
> Theresa smiles and shrugs, while Igor...continues flipping through pages of the book he's reading. She notes that he doesn't seem inclined to say anything and adds, "Well, I can tell you that you saved thier lives at least."
* Mykasi glances to Igor in amusement, before nodding wearily to Theresa. "That's... something."
> "Those Shadows were out for blood at this point, they'd been getting stronger by the day. If you'd let them fight eachother..."
* Hikari looks up. "What could've happened if we hadn't intervened?"
<Mykasi> "So my gut impulse wasn't stupid? Good. I was wondering through that entire thing if I made up all that horsecrap for nothing."
> Igor looks over his book at Hikari, "One of thier Shadows would have killed the other. And the defeated boy may have died in the Real World. If he did not die, he would have at the very least become mentally crippled."
* Hikari just nods. She hasn't the strength to do much else.
<Mykasi> Stretching his hand (and remembering he has Keita'
> "As for the 'winner'," Igor continues, "That boy would have very likely been taken over by his Shadow completely. They were already able to exert great influance on thier Real World selves even though most of thier attention was taken with eachother. If that distraction was no longer present..."
<Hikari> "What would a shadow do if loosed in the real world?" Hikari wonders. "I suppose it's better we don't find out."
<Mykasi> Stretching his arms, Mike nods wearily to Igor - before glancing to see if the sword he picked up is still in his right hand.
> The sword is very much still there.
<Mykasi> "Uh. Wait, I actually took this back out with me? Huh." Mike muses, before looking it over a bit more carefully.
> Theresa grins, "Ooh, can I cover this one?"
> Igor sighs, "Very well, Theresa."
* Nagare scratches his head, leaning against the chair's back. "Actually..." He starts, looking at Mike, but stops."
<Mykasi> "You can cover m- sorry, impulse restraint is minimal right now."
> Still smiling, but adding a small wink, she reaches out to Mike, "Can I borrow that for a second please."
* Mykasi nods and passes it over, returning the wink.
> She holds up the sword, "This, is what we like to refer to as a Remnant. It's what's left of a Shadow who was defeated under very certain conditions. Sometimes, a Shadow has a particular weak point, generally to a certain element. When defeated with that element, they'll fade faster then usual, and will leave something behind. Like this sword. Or the buttons a Pattern Spider uses for eyes."
> "Well, usually at least." She shrugs as she adds that.
> But then her smile turns...almost wicked, "And oh yes, you very much can bring these out into the Real World with you.
> "
<Mykasi> "...hm." Mike says, frowning. "Alright. That's useful, at least. Though I don't precisely know how we'll carry a sword back home without the attention. Though I approve of-" Mike pauses, staring at the sword intently.
<Hikari> "Would this sword exist...outsi--oh, I see." She frowns (well, moreso). "I'm not sure we should do that just yet. We can't very well walk out of the apartment building carrying a sword."
> Theresa looks over at Igor, "Can I try, or should you handle this one?"
> Igor reaches for the sword, plucking it from his assistant's hands, "You haven't quite mastered this technique yet. I believe, that I can solve this delema for you, if I may."
> Laying the sword on the table, Igor raises his hands and chants, his voice suddenly echoing throughout the room while still being barely above a whisper in volume.
> The sword glows...and then in a sudden flash transforms into a card. The card clearly depicts a picture of the sword, and is labeled as the Ace of Swords.
> Theresa gestures to the card, "There you go. You can take that out. Concentrate on it and it will turn into the sword, even out there. But be careful, only Master Igor can turn it back into the card form."
* Mykasi is still staring intently at the card, seemingly lost in thought.
<Mykasi> "...tell me. If an item has... power, in the Dream, does it have power out there?" Mike finally asks, leaning forward and taking the card gingerly.
> Igor nods, "Some. Not always, and rarely all of it's power, but most items will carry some. This sword, for example, will very likely be sharper and sturdier then any sword of mortal make."
> "Well, then any normal sword. Conceptual Weapons are another matter entirely." Theresa adds.
<Mykasi> "Conceptual Weapons?" Mike enquires with a curious glance.
> "Items that have the power of ideas behind them. They're not any physically stronger then any other mortal item of thier kind, but because of the signifigance that people place on them, they often have amazing powers."
> She shrugs, the concept clearly not interesting her overly much.
<Mykasi> "Remind me to ask about those a bit more some later time." Mike mutters, glancing to Hikari and Nagare.
<Hikari> "Are either of you experience with this sort of weapon?" Hikari wonders, tiredly. "Swords, I mean. I could learn. It seems fitting somehow, for Brynhildr."
* Nagare frowns a bit. "I'd say you probably should for your own good, even, judging by the way you swung that blade against Ewan." The teacher may be tired, but there's no exhaustion capable of overcoming good ol' snark.
> "Well, I can't say I enjoy hand to hand, but I'm not entirely unfamilair with..." Theresa stops as Igor has turned his flat stare on her, "Oh, you meant THOSE two. Silly me."
<Hikari> "You mean the way I consistently missed?" Hikari says, chagrinned.
<Mykasi> "I've experience with swinging swords, though I suspect you don't mean it the way I do." Mike mutters low under his breath, before glancing to Theresa in interest.
<Nagare> "More the way you nearly spun the sword into a throw weapon like Thor's hammer. It's both vaguely sad and immensely hazardous. Though I can hardly brag, given my amazing accuracy there."
> Theresa giggles.
* Mykasi exhales, glancing now to Igor's book. "Forgive my rudeness, but what are you reading?"
<Hikari> "I'm sure we all amply demonstrated our own incompetence," Hikari says with some irritation."
> Igor turns the book to Mykasi, the pages blank mostly blank. The last words written were, "Mykasi exhaled, glancing to Igor's book. "Forgive my rudeness, but what are you reading?"" Then words began to form after that, "He leaned in to study the strange book as words began to appear on the page before him"
> Igor smiles, "Events, as they unfold."
<Mykasi> "..." Mike blinks at the book, before grinning. "Okay, so it's the Dream World TV except in cooler form. Gotcha."
* Nagare blinks. "Wait, so you record a keepsake of the present as it comes up? How ample is the reach of your historic records, sir?"
> Igor places a bookmark in the book and closes it, "Ample enough, Doctor."
* Nagare deflates a bit, glancing to Theresa. "I figure this is one of those things where the cryptic mystery has to be kept."
> Theresa smiles and rolls her eyes at the same time, "And before you ask, it is strictly against the rules of the Velvet Room for mortals to be allowed access to the archives."
> "Hell, he won't even let ME read them."
> Igor eyes his assitant again, "That is quite enough, Theresa."
* Mykasi goes to sit next to Hikari, somewhat lost in thought as he stares at the Sword card in his hand. After a moment, "Why don't you carry this, Hikari?" he asks, proffering it to her.
* Hikari takes the card and pockets it. "I suppose I should take up kendo."
* Nagare scratches his head. "Anyhow...", then glances at Mike. "Mykasi, didn't you mention this Shadow didn't perform like the last one at all. I don't really know the details of -that- incident, so you think you could elaborate?"
<Mykasi> "Eh?" Mike muses, before, "Oh, right. The last time, she had... given up to her Shadow. Beating the Shadow up there had some reprecussions to her self-esteem - specifically, it killed it, because the Shadow was her self-esteem. She's doing better now, though."
<Hikari> "It took us considerable work even after the event to return her to her normal life," Hikari confirms.
<Nagare> "It's... honestly impressive that, seemingly, the entire landscape we witnessed by Keita and Ewan was entirely a byproduct of the Shadows, though. This also makes me wonder what will this do to their imagination now..."
> "Well, the more powerful the imagination, the faster they'll recover from the loss of their Shadow." Theresa reminds you.
<Mykasi> "Well." Mike says. "Correct me if I say something you're permitted to correct me on, Igor, Theresa, but... I think their imaginations were conquered by their Shadows, and thus the two imaginations went to war. At least, that was my impression."
> "I would not say they were conqured by the Shadows," Igor notes, "as much as the imaginations were wielded by the Shadows as weapons against eachother. Regardless, even if the imagination is one of the casualties in the defeat of a Shadow, those who's imaginations were more active and exagerated will recover more quickly."
* Nagare nods. "I guess this makes sense."
<Mykasi> "Right." Mike nods. "Yeah, that makes sense, too."
> "Have you any more questions, or shall I return you to the Real World?" Igor asks.
<Hikari> "I am quite ready to collapse into bed," Hikari says.
<Mykasi> "I'm... done for now, I thi- oh, right. Hikari will recover normally?" Mike asks for confirmation. "None of it will linger, right?"
* Nagare scratches his head. "Actually, I do want to ask. How long will it take for us to recover from Dream-related hazards? I didn't get burned like Hikari did, but I honestly feel like dying right now."
> Theresa smiles, "You should be fine after a good night's sleep. Spent magical energy recovers faster then physical wounds. Hikari will take a couple days to get well." Looking at Mike, she adds, "It wasn't as bad for you, since the physical difference between in and out of the Dream is small for you." Looking back to Hikari, she smiles sympathetically, "For you, though..."
<Hikari> "I don't *look* terribly burned, do I?" Hikari wonders. "It would take much effort to explain that away."
* Mykasi nods. "And I didn't really get hurt too badly. It's more the other two I'm worried about - I managed to dodge all that fire." A small shiver passes through Mike at that as he looks away a moment, rubbing his head.
> Theresa conjures up a mirror in her hands from nothing, "Take a look yourself." You don't see burns, though you do look bruised in a few places. And alot more pale then you should be.
* Hikari frowns. "I suppose I could've fallen down a flight of stairs..." she says dubiously, eyeing the bruises. "Or I could just stay in bed for two days."
> "It's Dream physics, don't ask how fire leaves bruises. It just does. Part of it's that your Persona takes the brunt of the damage for you, but that's not all of it. Your clothes aren't even scorched, afterall."
<Hikari> "Well, that's good. I wasn't looking forward to meeting that building manager on the way out and having her ask where the fire was."
* Mykasi nods, looking to Hikari sympathetically. "I'm just... uh, glad you got the brat off of my ass. Any less luck on dodging that fire... I'd have felt it bad, I suspect."
<Hikari> "Don't worry. I feel it for both of us."
<Mykasi> "Right." Mike nods. "I... no other questions. Thanks, both of you."
* Nagare nods and rubs his temples. "Yes. We probably should leave. Conjuring Persona is oddly akin to have someone beat you up with a lead pipe, somehow."
> Igor nods and raises his hands. The door glows and the glow fades. "The door will now return you to the real world."
<Mykasi> "Something only actively enjoyed by masochists and Shadows?" Mike quips.
<Hikari> "It's not always this bad, really. But let's go home already."
<Mykasi> "Right."
* Mykasi heads to the door!
* Nagare sighs and gets up, heading towards the door.
* Hikari limps along.
> (OOC: The looking glass so shiny and new~ How quicky the Scene Changes~)
> You exit the Velvet Room and are standing outside of the Okuro apartment.
* Nagare frowns. "I entirely forgot we were still here."
* Hikari glances left and right down the hall. "Let's leave before anyone notices us? I can barely stand."
> Nagare...can't feel the presence anymore. There are no shadows within his sight.
* Nagare at least nods to that. "Well, seems we -did- do our job properly, at least. No Shadow presence here either."
* Mykasi nods. "Pretend you're drunk or something if anyone questions us, Hikari? Best explanation I can think of for your current condition. And yes, let's get going. Quickly."
> roll 2d8
* Hatbot --> "Gatewalker rolls 2d8 and gets 3."12 [2d8=2, 1]

<Hikari> "I..." Hikari frowns. "I suppose it's better than the real explanation."
> Luck is apparently on your side. The three of you manage to get to the bottom floor, notice the manager is not in her office, and out the door before she arrives.
<Mykasi> "Right. Okay, Hikari, you good to drive home?" Mike asks. "If so, let's all split here."
<Hikari> "It will be something of an experiment. We'll find out. At least it's not far."
<Mykasi> "...right. Be careful and take it slow, okay?" Mike nods. "And you, Professor?"
<Nagare> "I can manage as well."
<Mykasi> "Right." Mike nods. "Both of you two, stay safe? I'll see you later." Mike nods, looking around one last time before heading back off to the dorm. No need to stop for beer, since a few cans are still left in the fridge, after all.
* Hikari_Ishigami stumbles to her car and heads straight home, meaning to fall right into bed once she gets there.
* Nagare toddles towards his car as well. He wasn't sure he'd wake up within the next forty-eight hours, that's for sure.
> And thus you all head your seperate ways. Predictably, Kyo is out when Mike gets back giving him the dorm to himself. Neimi is already in bed asleep when Hikari returns, and doesn't wake up as the tired young woman crashes into her own bed. And Nagare's apartment is, as always, quiet and empty.
> (OOC: But as the water fills my mouth, it couldn't wash the Scene Change out)
> Thursday morning comes, and with it, responsibilities. Both Mykasi and Hikari have classes, and Nagare has one of his own to teach...though he has time for a conversation with the freindly neighborhood un-ghost first.
> Of particular interest though, is Hikari's Culinary Arts class, that she shares with Issa Okuro.
* Hikari does her best to present a normal face for the other students, much as she'd really like to be elsewhere. She's the one that should be asking questions about other people, not the other way around!
> Hikari does get a few looks from her classmates, but none are bold enough to blatently ask her any questions.
> Well, almost none.
> Yuka Shiida, who sits at the table next to yours along with Okuro, peers at you, "Wow, Ishigami, what happened? You look dead."
<Hikari> "I, er, fell down some stairs," Hikari says sheepishly. "It was my fault. I've been up very late studying recently. I was just tired and not watching where I was stepping."
> She gives you a suspicious look, "Uh...huh. Stairs, right."
* Hikari frowns. "What?"
> Okuro shakes her head, "Oh knock it off, Yuka. It does actually happen, contrary to what your soap operas would tell you."
> Yuka does have the good grace to look a bit embarassed as the older woman chides her at least.
<Hikari> "I hope everyone else had a better evening?" Hikari asks of her classmates.
> Okuro nods, "Actually, yeah. The brats were fighting as usual and then passed out. We thought something had happened at first, but they were just sleeping. Woke up this morning sick as dogs, but they weren't even trying to argue for the first time in awhile."
<Hikari> "That's strange. Maybe they just wore each other out for once?"
> "Mother took the day off work to take them to the doctor again, but she didn't need me to keep them apart this time. They just went along quietly." She shrugs, then remembers, "Oh yeah, did you bring the World History notes?"
<Hikari> "Oh, of course." Hikari digs through the papers she brought with her to class, having been responsible enough to see that everything she'd need for the day was in order before heading to the dreamworld yesterday, naturally.
> Okuro takes them, greatfully, "Thanks. You know how hard it is to miss one of his classes. I swear he's trying to pack the entire history of the world into one course."
> Yuka nods, "I hope he's still here next semester, I really want to take that class. Didn't make it in this time, since it seems like everyone does."
* Hikari nods. "Hopefully your brothers this is a good sign, anyway? Maybe the doctor's actually helping and your brothers will start behaving better. Keep me posted?"
> Okuro nods, "Yeah, let's hope."
> Then, Dr. Hanaya walks in and class begins.
<Hikari> Well, that's promising news at least. Hikari does her best to focus on class, exhausted as she is.
> Though a few minutes into class, she pulls Hikari aside and quietly asks, "Ishigami? Are you alright?"
<Hikari> "Of course," Hikari insists with more confidence than she feels.
> She looks at you skeptically, "Alright. I won't pry, but I don't want you handling knives today, looking like that. Let someone else at your table do the cutting."
<Hikari> "I don't need special treatment, but very well," Hikari says. It wouldn't do to make an issue out of something with a teacher, so.
> The rest of class passes by, and people file out. Yuka catches up with you right before you leave. She looks oddly concerned, "Hey, Hikari. Look, if there's something, y'know, going on, you know you can talk to me, right?"
<Hikari> "I appreciate your concern, but there's nothing you need to worry about," Hikari says.
> She doesn't look convinced, "Okay, if you say so. Take care, alright?"
> Yuka heads out.
<Hikari> "You too," Hikari says in parting, aiming to find Mike and Nagare afterwards.
> Mike still has a couple hours before his robotics class, and Nagare is also currently free. Hikari is at least somewhat familiar with Mike's schedual by now, so she would know that he was free if she wanted dial him up.
* Hikari does so!
> Mike's phone rings! It's Hikari, of course.
* Mykasi grabs the phone, checks the ID, and flips it open. "Hey. How're you doing? Recovering okay?"
<Hikari> "Yes, though I'm fending off constant questions about my condition. I suppose I should be grateful to have someone worried about me."
<Mykasi> "Heh. Hey, people care. Take i- Hey, jerk, that was my food tray!" Mike says, before, "Sorry, in dining hall. And... mrf. Well, hopefully you feel better soon. And how's the case?"
<Hikari> "Okuro reports immediate improvement in the behavior of her brothers. And I didn't mean to sound irritated, Mike. It just becomes trying to have to lie to others about the cause."
<Mykasi> "Nah, I understand." Mike nods. "Hold on, gonna tag the Prof into this convo."
<Mykasi> And with that he dials Nagare into the call!
* Nagare answers the call. "Hello."
<Mykasi> "Hey. Hikari's also on the line, says the siblings seem to be doing better. I'm gonna scarf down lunch, you two talk it over some and I'll comment when I'm done?" Mike says.
* Nagare nods spacily. "O...kay. Hikari, do you copy?"
<Hikari> "I'm here. You're recovering well, Professor? I hope?" She doesn't sound convinced, given the tone of Nagare's voice. "At least take comfort in our apparent success. The boys have already stopped fighting, it seems."
<Nagare> "That's good to hear. And... well, I still feel like I've had to carry a house-sized cross over a hill twice over and had an odd early morning. It's not all bad, though, people just assume I didn't have coffee in the morning anyway. How are you faring in that regard?"
<Hikari> "Everyone's been asking about my condition, apparently with great concern. I know I shouldn't be irritated by sympathy, but I dislike being looked at as some sort of victim. Of course, I can't tell anyone what really happened, so they'll just have to continue making their own conclusions. I've been saying I fell down stairs, but it hasn't been received well."
* Mykasi chokes a bit. "Uh... yeah? Of course that doesn't go down well, pun intended."
* Nagare winces. "Well... you -do- understand what kind of thing saying you fell down the stairs -does- imply. On the other hand, at least we won't have Ewan and Keita themselves saying they fell down stairs... hopefully."
<Hikari> "What? What should I have said? There aren't many convincing explanations for coming to school covered in bruises. And I haven't the faintest idea what that might imply, really." She shrugs, a gesture lost over the phone. "The brothers at least do seemt o have recovered rapidly."
* Nagare coughs. "I'll just say that those are the kinds of excuses Kasumi would've used if the reason I was a bad husband was physical abuse instead of emotional distance. But yes, those are reassuring news about the boys."
<Hikari> "Well, next time I have to lie about this, perhaps you two can provide me with better explanations."
* Nagare grins. "That, Mykasi may be able to provide better than I can."
> M: Speaking of Mykasi, someone distracts him from the conversation by tapping him on the shoulder, "Hey, Mykasi." It's Shiro Asakura.
<Mykasi> "I wasn't thinking that far ahead, I confess. I'll do so next time." Mike half mutters, scarfing down his ramen bowl... before looking over to Shiro. "Hey, hold on a sec, you guys keep talking." With that Mike lowers the phone. "Hey, man, what's up?"
> Shiro inclines his head towards the door, "I'm gonna head over to the gym. Drop by if you've got some time before Robotics?"
<Mykasi> "Yeah, should be able to once I'm done. Got a workout planned?" Mike asks.
> He shakes his head, "Nah, just wanted to talk about track, if you're still interested. Anyway, see you there." He adjusts his glasses and heads off.
<Hikari> "So, Kasumi was...your wife?" Hikari concludes, realizing she doesn't know much of anything about Nagare.
* Nagare scratches his head, which is also lost in that sort of communication. "My ex-wife, to be more precise. I'm surprised she put up with me for as long as she did, actually."
<Hikari> "Oh. How long were you married?"
<Nagare> "Nearly a decade. We met back in college, engaged for about two years and got married after graduation. Pretty typical story in that regard."
* Mykasi finishes off the ramen bowl, before putting phone back to ear as he takes the dirty dishes to the drop off area, just listening for now.
<Hikari> "I see," Hikari says. She's not really sure what else to say; asking about someone else's personal life isn't something she generally does. "What made you split up?"
<Nagare> "It's... pretty complicated, honestly - there were many issues. She... just tried her hardest to make it work, but I kept pushing her away. When she finally -did- give up, she managed to have the most unfortunate timing possible, which didn't help things. I'm not sure if she ever got over the flames the divorce went under even now."
<Hikari> "I see," hikari says again, rather awkwardly. "Well...I'm sorry for bringing it up if it makes you uncomfortable to talk about it. I'm sure you'll find someone else eventually."
* Mykasi is silent, putting dishes away and walking toward the gym. He's not really sure what to say to Nagare at this point, especially since the initial response he has is needlessly cruel - not to mention unfair.
* Nagare smiles. "Don't worry about that. I'm not worried about finding someone either - I still have to deal with myself first. Heck - eventually, that would come up anyway. Histories tend to do that when they intertwine. I guess it's a big deal, but that's... well, it's a bridge I intend to cross eventually."
<Hikari> Again: "I see." Personal conversations truly bring out Hikari's inner eloquence.
* Mykasi muses. "So, for now, should we just keep an ear to the ground for any further disturbances?"
<Hikari> "Yes, I suppose so. I have no further leads. Mike and I can continue attending the dreamcatcher class and see if anything turns up there?"
* Nagare nods uselessly. "Probably the best course of action. Anything that relates to this business, even if faintly, should be observed carefully."
<Mykasi> "Sounds optimal. Hey, is there a teacher's break room or lunch room around?" Mike asks Nagare.
<Nagare> "Hm? If we're planning a meeting, at this point, my office is probably kosher enough. The movement is minimal at this point and I have the rest of the day free."
<Mykasi> "No, I was mainly asking by way of suggesting that you may want to start having lunch there. What students don't hear about, teachers might - and they'll probably feel free to gossip about stuff more easily with their peer group." Mike elaborates, walking to the gym.
<Hikari> "Mike has a good point. Any possible source of information should be tapped."
<Nagare> "... oh. RIGHT. I'm terribly sorry about that, this possibility hadn't even crossed my mind. Guess I should see this as an incentive to actually become more involved with the teacher body."
<Mykasi> "Heh." Mike grins. "Nah, I'm just trying to think of how to use what resources we've got - and the more I think about it, the more a teacher on our side is actually incredibly helpful."
> M: Mike reaches the gym, Shiro and his usual cohort Rikuto Oda are in there shooting baskets.
<Nagare> "You do have a point. Which you even abused slightly for our last case, but I digress. But your advice is rather sound in hindsight. I'll make a small routine adjustment, sure."
<Mykasi> "...yeah, sure." Mike mutters. "Anyway, you guys got anything else you need to cover? Else I'm gonna shoot hoops until Robotics."
<Hikari> "I have nothing to add for now," Hikari says. "I'll alert you both if anything new develops with the two brothers. Otherwise, just listen for anything strange, and if nothing new turns up then I'll meet Mike at the class next week."
<Mykasi> "Right." Mike says with a slight vocal shrug.
<Nagare> "I'm pretty much fresh out as well. Will keep contact if any oddity shows up, and I expect you both to be equally vigilant."
<Hikari> "Of course."
<Mykasi> "Of course. Right, then. Later." And with that, Mike hangs up and jogs over to Shiro and Rikuto.
> As Oda points you out to Shiro, the latter turns your way and tosses you a ball, "Hey, glad you could make it. You know Oda already, right?"
* Hikari also hangs up, proceeding back to her room. Normally it would be to study more, but more sleep probably wouldn't be amiss right now.
<Mykasi> "Yeah, think we've met in passing a few times?" Mike nods, trying a lay-up.
> Shiro is in a few classes with Mike, and is normally very informal, calling nearly everyone but teachers by thier given name instead of thier family name. Except for Rikuto Oda. Who by all reports is his best freind.
> Oda nods, "Yeah, we have." Though he's only met him in passing, Mike's heard a bit more about Oda. He's apparently some kind of golden boy by all accounts. A track star, nearly a perfect academic record, and never so much as a credible whisper of him ever getting into trouble.
* Mykasi nods to Oda as the lay-up ball rolls around the rim three times before finally deciding to fall outside of the basket. "Figures. Anyway, yeah, sorry for being distracted earlier. What's up?"
> "Anyway," Shiro continues, half smirking as you miss the basket, "We talked a bit ago about the track team. You still interested? We need three for competitions, and while Oda and I are better then just about anything anyone else has, the rest of the team is pretty much trash."
<Mykasi> "...Sure. The current rash of busy-ness has settled down some, though I can't promise I'll be able to keep up with either of you. I'll still give it the best shot I've got." Mike nods gamely.
> Oda throws a basket himself, sinking it. Doesn't add to the conversation, though.
> Shiro nods, "Alright, the two of us basically practice every morning at seven. Come by whenever you have the time, we can run you through the times and see if you can make the cut. Official track practice is only on Wednesdays and Saturdays, of course. Same time."
> Then Oda speaks, "Shiro pretty much runs the team though, so you don't have to try out on an actual practice day."
* Mykasi tosses a second ball himself after retrieving one, managing to sink it. At Oda's comment, Mike smirks. "Heh. Eh, still, can't hurt. Though there's nothing in the rules about foreign students participating? Interesting. There was in America, but Americans can be jerks about that sometimes." A pause. "Scratch the sometimes."
> Shiro shakes his head, "Not in regionals. Nationals, yeah. I'd have to look for someone else then. But we have to MAKE Nationals first. Which won't be a problem if you can even manage a little faster then average times."
> Oda nods, "Yeah, the rest of our team is that bad."
<Mykasi> "Gotcha." Mike nods. "Better on my feet than I am at hoops, at least, so." At Oda's comment, he winces. "Man. That's kinda a bummer."
> "And Shiro kinda scares off most people who might be kind of interested..."
<Mykasi> "Wait, is he a vampire? Shit, I didn't notice.
> Shiro snorts, "Yeah, well, if someone can't handle a little pressure then they're gonna fold in actual competition."
> Oda shakes his head, "No, just kinda tyrannical during practice."
<Mykasi> "Ah. That kind of scare." Mike grins. "Eh, no big. Helps to have someone pushing you, I find."
> Shiro laughs, "Yeah, something told me you'd get it."
* Mykasi tosses a fourth ball, watching it go in. "Two for four. Feh. Worse than even back home. Then again, I failed badly at basketball before."
> Shiro shrugs, "Not everybody's game. Though I got better at it after I took up martial arts. You practice any?"
<Mykasi> "Nah, though I've got some interest. Mainly went for tennis and soccer back home, though studies and dating came first at the time. Kinda to my chagrin, for the former - could've done half those classes without even attending."
> Oda nods, "Yeah, I've heard primary education in America is....bad."
* Mykasi thinks for a moment before shooting the next hoop. "Yeah, pretty much. There's... really very little that can be said to defend the mainstream. The only real advantage over Japanese is that it's more laidback, which helps for some students, but..."
> "Probably encourages alot more laziness, too." Shiro offers.
<Mykasi> "Sometimes? But that's also a trait of the families, more. I suppose I'd say that the culture breeds the problems, and the schools can't do much to shift them at their best. The worst, of course, excaberate the issues." Mike nods.
> Shiro nods, "Heh, ingrained in the culture. Isn't that the damn truth for alot of problems."
> He picks up a ball and throws it, sinking it, though not as smoothly as Oda managed.
<Mykasi> "Sadly, yeah. Fuse half the countries into the world into a super-amalgation, taking the best of each, and maybe we'd get somewhere." Shoot, basket rim, falls outside of it. "Maybe."
> Shiro shrugs, and Oda doesn't comment. But Oda does a lot of not commenting.
> Time passes, and Oda heads off to his next class while Mike and Shiro hit up Robotics.
> ----------------------------------------------------
> roll Mind, peeps~
<Mykasi> roll 2d8 WITH THE POWER OF MY MIND, I AM THE DETECTIVE OF SOULS! COME TO ME, FORBIDDEN FRUIT OF RUMORS PAST! TRUTH SIGN [ENDLESS WHISPER]!
* Hatbot --> "Mykasi rolls 2d8 WITH THE POWER OF MY MIND, I AM THE DETECTIVE OF SOULS! COME TO ME, FORBIDDEN FRUIT OF RUMORS PAST! TRUTH SIGN [ENDLESS WHISPER]! and gets 10."12 [2d8=6, 4]
<Hikari> roll 2d8 Hikari has no truck with this all-caps nonsense
* Hatbot --> "Hikari rolls 2d8 Hikari has no truck with this all-caps nonsense and gets 7."12 [2d8=2, 5]
* Hikari is now known as Sierra_Comatose
> roll 2d8 sorry Snow I roll for you
* Hatbot --> "Gatewalker rolls 2d8 sorry Snow I roll for you and gets 5."12 [2d8=1, 4]
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks