News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Pre-game discussion: the whens, wheres and whats.

Started by VySaika, September 30, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

How will prestige classes work with the class limitations?  Note: I don't mind at all if the answer is 'no prestige classes', just asking to understand if they're there.
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

Yeah, Brawler gets wis to AC. Did I really forget to put that in there? Derp.

Flurry works with unarmed strikes and stuff from Monk weapon group, yeah. Honestly...the Monk weapon group isn't a very widely taken one. Most Brawlers in this setting just use unarmed or quarterstaff. If someone actually does the Monk weapons, they're probably a Spirit Kanda artist who was trained with exotic foriegn shit. Someone who does Veinsgrei or Abrare likely doesn't know what the crap a kama or a sai even is, much less use them. <_<

PRCs are looked at on a simple case by case basis. Those tend to be things you learn during your career as a drifter, so there are some that are region specific, but it's more that you'd need to be trained it in there and less that you'd have to be born there to do it. If that makes any sense. I do have a pissload of custom PRCs that I'll post here periodically as I tidy them up, any I post will be fair game, just talk to me about wanting the opportunities to learn it happen in game. I'll make sure to get some up soon, a couple personal favorites.
All About Monks
<Marisa> They're OP as fuck
<Marisa> They definitely don't blow in 3.5
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies
<Marisa> they're immune to a bunch of high level effects
<Marisa> just by being monks

Dracos

hum, Flurry doesn't lose its -2 penalty with brawler at higher level?  I suppose with the extra BaB it's less of an issue (it's still 18 versus 15), but just curious on it.  (No rush, I yammer as I look over classes and understand them)
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Quote from: Gatewalker on October 11, 2011, 12:01:07 AM
Yeah, Brawler gets wis to AC. Did I really forget to put that in there? Derp.

Flurry works with unarmed strikes and stuff from Monk weapon group, yeah. Honestly...the Monk weapon group isn't a very widely taken one. Most Brawlers in this setting just use unarmed or quarterstaff. If someone actually does the Monk weapons, they're probably a Spirit Kanda artist who was trained with exotic foriegn shit. Someone who does Veinsgrei or Abrare likely doesn't know what the crap a kama or a sai even is, much less use them. <_<

PRCs are looked at on a simple case by case basis. Those tend to be things you learn during your career as a drifter, so there are some that are region specific, but it's more that you'd need to be trained it in there and less that you'd have to be born there to do it. If that makes any sense. I do have a pissload of custom PRCs that I'll post here periodically as I tidy them up, any I post will be fair game, just talk to me about wanting the opportunities to learn it happen in game. I'll make sure to get some up soon, a couple personal favorites.

Cool.  =)  And yeah, it's been a long time since I can recall playing a monk who's made that choice.  Even with Sai (perhaps the most technically interesting of the lot), the disarm bonus just gets you to what you'd have with a simple longsword or quarter staff anyway.
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

Yeah, that's exactly it. The full BAB means it doesn't lose the penalty.
All About Monks
<Marisa> after a certain level they basically just attack repeatedly until it dies

Taishyr

So we're talking about meeting Wednesday at the same time, then? Just clarifying now so I can nap up beforehand. >_>

VySaika

All About Monks

Taishyr

Dracos: You're considering a druidic mage class? I'm kinda eyeing Wanderer myself, and while not heavily invested in it I might end up using it (if I do it's likely to be either Brawler/Wanderer or ???physical/Wanderer. Don't want to tread on your toes, however. It's something we can discuss tomorrow. (Druidic spell selection's decently diverse, enough so that we could probably theme totally differently, but again, we'd need to discuss it and Gate would need to approve it.)

EDIT: Changed to likely be Bard (or variant)/Wanderer. firefly23, if you've any interest in either class, let me know - my character concept is pretty flexible right now, so!

Dracos

Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Gonna be a little late if it is.  Hammering on something I want to close out tonight.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Haven't seen it asked but:

Ages of races in this world?  They're mostly variant humans, so I expect the usual 0-100ish range, but just figured I would ask and check.
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Other things of pending curiousity:
Regional feats?
Start equip guidelines/advice?
Well, Goodbye.

Dracos

Some mangling done for you gate :)  Feel free to erase, and no one should take it as real until Gate gives a lookover, but trying to help so we don't end up with rules all over the place.

Also since we keep talking about it, my own suggestions from Dune's list:
   All: All classes gain an additional 4 skill points per level.  - Actually I think you said in chat you roll with +2 or something.  I am foggy and don't have it in front of me. 
Open Lock: Open Lock is folded into Disable Device.
Spellcraft: A new function is added to spellcraft:

Identify Properties of Magic Item: DC 15 + item's caster level. (DC varies for artifacts)

Attempting to ascertain the properties of a magic item takes 3 rounds per item to be identified and you must be able to thoroughly examine the object. Artifacts may be identified in this manner, but the DC is higher. The exact DC varies from artifact to artifact.

Acrobatic [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Jump checks and Tumble checks. Once per day you may choose to reroll any roll for these two skills, the second roll always taken.
Special: All other similar feats to Acrobatic are also altered. They are not all listed for the sake of brevity.

Diehard [General]
Prerequisite: Endurance
Benefit:  When reduced to between -1 and -9 hit points, you automatically become stable. You don't have to roll a d100 to see if you lose 1 hit point each round.

When reduced to negative hit points, you may choose to act as if you were disabled, rather than dying. You must make this decision as soon as you are reduced to negative hit points (even if it isn't your turn). If you do not choose to act as if you were disabled, you immediately fall unconscious.

When using this feat, you can take either a single move or standard action each turn, but not both, and you cannot take a full round action. You can take a move action without further injuring yourself, but if you perform any standard action (or any other action deemed as strenuous, including some free actions, swift actions, or immediate actions, such as casting a quickened spell) you take 1 point of damage after completing the act. If you reach -10 hit points, you immediately die.
Special: A fighter may select diehard as a fighter bonus feat.

Dodge [General]
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain a +1 dodge bonus to armor class. This is active at any time you are not flatfooted.
Special: A fighter may select dodge as a fighter bonus feat.

Endurance [General]
Benefit:  You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves: Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage, Constitution checks made to continue running, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, Constitution checks made to hold your breath, Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst, Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments, and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation. Also, you may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.
Special: A fighter may select endurance as a fighter bonus feat.

Skill Focus [General]
Benefit: Choose a skill. You get a +3 bonus on all checks involving that skill. Once per day you may take 10 on any roll related to this skill, regardless of circumstances.
Special: You gain select this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a new skill.

Toughness [General]
Benefit: Your constitution modifier is considered one point higher to determine your hit points. In essence, you gain 1 hit point per hit die.
Special: Unlike normal toughness, this feat may only be selected once.
Special: A fighter may select toughness as a fighter bonus feat.

Whirlwind Attack [General]
Prerequisite: Dex 13, Int 13, Base Attack Bonus+6
Benefit: When you use the full attack action, you can give up your regular attacks and instead make one melee attack at your full base attack bonus against each opponent within reach. When you use the Whirlwind Attack feat, you also forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities.
Special: A fighter may select Whirlwind Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Subduing Strike [General]
Benefit: You can use any weapon to deal nonlethal damage with no penalty on your attack roll, including ranged weapons. If you deal precision damage, such as sneak attack or skirmish, you can deal nonlethal damage even if you are using a normal weapon.
Special: A fighter may select subduing strike as a fighter bonus feat.
Well, Goodbye.

VySaika

A bunch of stuff added in house rules. Should be enough to get us started, I can add more as they come up.

Regional Feats: Will be added when I do the region info.

Equip Guidlines: mundane gear. You guys have been in a slump and haven't had the money to even get masterwork stuff yet. I will, however, toss you some coin and a random magic consumable(potion, scroll or wand with a few charges left) each as we get closer to having chars done.

All About Monks

Dracos

*nods*

Also on a style of play thing (first time with you as the DM, the others already know), but how gritty do you tend to go on misc gear (or weight)?

E.g.:
Lazy Pack - Yeah, look don't just write down a quarter of the mundane gear that adds up to like 8 gp total.
Hey guys, make sure to have a detailed set of adventuring gear?
Okay, we count every copper and make sure to have regular food and water in your gear?

I tend to prefer somewhere between 1 and 2, some folks prefer between 2 and 3, but just asking so it's not a surprise. :)
Well, Goodbye.