News:

"Destiny Challenged us and so we chose to end the world.  There was nothing to regret.  Nothing."

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 04:10:30 AM
Spoiler: ShowHide

Quote from: Anastasia on March 20, 2019, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 15, 2019, 06:45:21 PM
There's a couple spells that I want to get my own variants of.

First, this one, where the only change is to the energy type.

Seira's Fiery Leap (Lightning Leap)

Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal and 60 ft.
Target/Area: You/10-to–60-ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No and Yes

With a sudden flash, you find yourself standing on the other side of the battle, leaving a smoking trail behind you.

You transform yourself into a stream of plasma. This line can be of any length from 10 feet to 60 feet, measured in 5-foot increments. You reappear in any square adjacent to the last square entered by the line, along with any gear worn or carried (up to a maximum of your heavy load limit). You can't bring along other creatures except for your familiar.

The line deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to anything in its area. A successful Reflex save halves this damage, and spell resistance applies.

For this one, I took out the part about not making attacks of opportunity and removed the saving throw corresponding to it. If I read the original spell wrong and the save was also for the flanking aspect, I'd prefer to price it higher to compensate. Also, it gained a thematic change as well.

Seira's Phantom Battle (Phantom Battle)
(Player's Handbook II, p. 120)

Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sorcerer 4/Wizard 4
Components: V, S,
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create an illusory horde of snarling reds and proud gold dragons locked in battle.
Creatures in the area move cautiously as they are caught up in the phantom melee.
This spell creates the illusion of a fierce battle.
Your enemies move cautiously, since the roar and confusion of the battle distracts them.
All creatures within the area are considered flanked.
A creature ignores this effect when it leaves the spell's area.
A phantom battle spell produces noise appropriate to fierce dragons locked in battle.
Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured dragons are no threat, since they strike solely at their brethren, but the din, tumult, and confusion make it difficult to focus on the true foes at hand.
When you cast this spell, you can choose for it not to affect a number of allies you designate less than or equal to your caster level.

I kept on going back and forth with you on this spell, and since it went nowhere I decided to go for the original Pathfinder option. Of course, if that was an oversight and you actually approve of my revision in that link, that's even better.

Seira's Healing Flames
Conjuration (Healing) [Fire, Good]
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text;

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

A fire version of Lightning Leap is fine, you use that enough that you may as well make it distinct.

Rest doesn't seem objectionable offhand. If I missed anything, someone speak up.

Reminder to add these spells to Spell Compendium. Seeing Dolmaya's spells reminded me that they weren't listed.

Reminder #2
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Question about SA. If I use an Orb of Fire, will the SA damage from it also be fire? Same for a water-based damaging spell and so on.

Question about SR and Wish/Miracle. I glanced at our houseruled versions of them, and I'd like to know....
-Is it possible to use Wish/Miracle for a SR-piercing boost without taking the path of least resistance (ie via emulating True Casting)?
-Alternately, is it possible to use Wish/Miracle to ask for a scaled up version of said True Casting that gives a larger bonus?

Question about Resilient Sphere. It is my understanding that if I place someone within this sphere, most direct damage spells including even epic ones will not affect them, and disintegrating burst will pop the sphere but not harm the person within. Is that correct?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 02, 2019, 01:31:03 AM
Question about SA. If I use an Orb of Fire, will the SA damage from it also be fire? Same for a water-based damaging spell and so on.

Yes.

QuoteQuestion about SR and Wish/Miracle. I glanced at our houseruled versions of them, and I'd like to know....
-Is it possible to use Wish/Miracle for a SR-piercing boost without taking the path of least resistance (ie via emulating True Casting)?

I'd keep it to the path of least resistance.

Quote-Alternately, is it possible to use Wish/Miracle to ask for a scaled up version of said True Casting that gives a larger bonus?

Possibly. What do you have in mind?

QuoteQuestion about Resilient Sphere. It is my understanding that if I place someone within this sphere, most direct damage spells including even epic ones will not affect them, and disintegrating burst will pop the sphere but not harm the person within. Is that correct?

Resilient sphere RAW would not let any spells through. This is probably a case where some sort of houserule to handle how it interfaces with epic spells would be desirable, but it's not something I'll make on the spur of the moment here.

Though do note any spell that's sufficient to tear through a wall of force or similar force based defenses would be sufficient to tear through that as well, at least in my opinion.

Disintegrating burst probably should not hurt the creature through it, no. Arguable because it's a radius vs single target disintegrate, but I'd rule that anything inside of it wouldn't be hurt.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

QuoteQuote
-Alternately, is it possible to use Wish/Miracle to ask for a scaled up version of said True Casting that gives a larger bonus?

A larger bonus to penetrate SR. Like +20 instead of +10?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 03, 2019, 01:21:50 PM
QuoteQuote

A larger bonus to penetrate SR. Like +20 instead of +10?

And what level is true casting?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, sat down and had a thought on this. Let me walk you through my logic here. First of all, I draw a natural comparison between true strike and true casting. They're essentially the same concept, except one hits SR checks and the other attack rolls. I strongly suspect true casting was meant to be exactly that - can't confirm it of course, but the similarities are obvious.

Where I'm going with this is simple: I don't think a greater true strike would be a good design idea. Namely, a massive, one off bonus to a single attack, as the baseline form already gives a vast amount of hitting power above your normal ability. It's obviously not an auto hit in extreme cases, but in most cases of normal play, it may as well be barring things like PA abuse or an absurdly over ACed enemy relative to your to hit.

So this poses one simple question: Is it a good design choice to allow an even stronger version that further increases the potential reach and hitting power of a single attack or spell vs SR? As it's a first level spell, the room to make it stronger is surely there with higher level spells, that's not in question. So it simply comes down to a matter of design and balance, and this is where I feel it's a bad idea.

I don't feel balance is well served by pushing the numbers even higher here, giving even higher nova burst potential.  So I'm going to reject that on these grounds.

Also I swear I've written this same post before, I know this has come up. I think it was back in original B3 sometime, I'd have to search.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

For completeness's sake, do material components exist that give a boost to CL vs SR? We don't often run into this stuff, but I believe I saw a few material components in Brigthwater threads and loot, in particular during Alyssa's shopping? I know Pathfinder has something that gives a +5 to the check of a spell, but does the Balmuria verse?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 04, 2019, 12:37:08 PM
For completeness's sake, do material components exist that give a boost to CL vs SR? We don't often run into this stuff, but I believe I saw a few material components in Brigthwater threads and loot, in particular during Alyssa's shopping? I know Pathfinder has something that gives a +5 to the check of a spell, but does the Balmuria verse?

Optional material components appear in Complete Mage (pg 135). There's a few other scatterings of similar ideas here and there, as well as something I used for homebrew.

I'm not familiar with whatever you're referring to in Pathfinder, so the answer would be no for the duration of this adventure at the minimum. I'd need to see the material afterwards and decide beyond that.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 05, 2019, 02:38:19 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/c-d/dweomer-s-essence

Probably not, it feels out of line for the effect and the price versus 3.5's optional material components. I don't know if that balances better in Pathfinder's overall meta or not, it might be entirely fine there, but it doesn't strike me as a good fit for optional material components as established in this game.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 02:55:11 PM

Transmutation [Fire]

With a sudden flash, you find yourself standing on the other side of the battle, leaving a smoking trail behind you.

You transform yourself into a stream of plasma. This line can be of any length from 10 feet to 60 feet, measured in 5-foot increments. You reappear in any square adjacent to the last square entered by the line, along with any gear worn or carried (up to a maximum of your heavy load limit). You can't bring along other creatures except for your familiar.

The line deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to anything in its area. A successful Reflex save halves this damage, and spell resistance applies.

For this one, I took out the part about not making attacks of opportunity and removed the saving throw corresponding to it. If I read the original spell wrong and the save was also for the flanking aspect, I'd prefer to price it higher to compensate. Also, it gained a thematic change as well.

Illusion (Figment)

You create an illusory horde of snarling reds and proud gold dragons locked in battle.
Creatures in the area move cautiously as they are caught up in the phantom melee.
Your enemies move cautiously, since the roar and confusion of the battle distracts them.
A phantom battle spell produces noise appropriate to fierce dragons locked in battle.
Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured dragons are no threat, since they strike solely at their brethren, but the din, tumult, and confusion make it difficult to focus on the true foes at hand.
When you cast this spell, you can choose for it not to affect a number of allies you designate less than or equal to your caster level.

I kept on going back and forth with you on this spell, and since it went nowhere I decided to go for the original Pathfinder option. Of course, if that was an oversight and you actually approve of my revision in that link, that's even better.

Seira's Healing Flames

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

A fire version of Lightning Leap is fine, you use that enough that you may as well make it distinct.

Rest doesn't seem objectionable offhand. If I missed anything, someone speak up.

Reminder to add these spells to Spell Compendium. Seeing Dolmaya's spells reminded me that they weren't listed.

Reminder #2

Will remind as often as necessary!

Iron Dragoon

Spell for fixing/updating:

Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 7
Range: Close (25ft +5ft per 2 levels)
Area: One 10 foot square per level
Duration: 1 min./level, Special Concentration (See text)
Spell Resistance: No

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. Your spell causes the ground to tremble noticably under foot as the elements in it transform into blades of random design and push up from the ground.
These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area. Further, taking more than a 5 foot step is cut viciously by them, taking 1d8 and 5 points of bleeding damage for each 10 feet they move.

This bleeding damage persists until treated by a Heal check vs the spell DC or 1 point of healing energy.
Additionally, as long as the bleeding damage persists, the wounded creature's land speed is reduced by half.

If the caster choses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them one of two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground.
Alternately, they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing the blades in a 10 foot square at a flying creature, dealing 1d8 and 5 points of bleeding damage with a Ranged Touch Attack.
Any creature with the ability to fly from discernable anatomy (wings, for example), loses the ability to fly as long as the bleeding persists.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

A test for Iddy. How do you like this color?

sdgsgs
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Quote from: Corwin on June 05, 2019, 06:23:13 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 02:55:11 PM

Transmutation [Fire]

Illusion (Figment)

Seira's Healing Flames

Reminder #2

Will remind as often as necessary!

Until I get a response!