News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

DM Nagging: It's pretty much my job

Started by Anastasia, April 12, 2018, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

6/7/19: Simmer's Contagious Fireburst is now in retired spells. I may retool it later but it's been broken one too many times for my tastes. For now it's banned, I'll come back to it later.

This applies after the current adventure, so once it's over, retrain the spell for free if you have it. Let me know if you have any questions related to retraining it.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Todo over the weekend: Bring over Zaaman Rul to misc NPCs, increase his DvR from 3 to 4.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on December 14, 2018, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: Corwin on December 14, 2018, 02:54:34 PM
I'd like to ask about the following spells, and whether they are valid targets for Permanency.

Bibliotheca Arcana

This spell's close to being permanent in practice because of the 24 hour duration. I'll think about it and if I want to establish this one as a thing. It's not really changing anything, because if you can cast this and want it, you probably already are.

Can I grab it?

I'd also like to ask about the following spells:
Lliira's Joy
Three-Fold Breath

They're short duration, but would be fun to have.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Made drafts of two new spells, would appreciate thoughts.

Cauldron's Hearth
Spoiler: ShowHide

Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, special
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance No

Intoning a prayer to Seira and Sanzha, you call upon their insights into elemental harmony to make your elemental spells more fluid conceptually. The harmony of balance betweeen the elements protects your spells from restrictions upon elemental magic that have been created by planar conditions, terrain or ambient spells.

Material Components

Cauldron steel mined personally by Yandrazrt, of no less than 1,000 gold value.

===

Shield of Sylica served as inspiration

Focused Rain of Desolation

Abjuration
Level: Drd 14, Sor/Wiz 14, Water 14
Components: V, S, F
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a driving, drenching cold rain. Creatures within it are struck by a bitter cold as the magic around them crumbles. All creatures within the radius are treated as being affected by a targeted greater dispel magic (maximum dispel check modifier of +40).

At the time of casting, you designate a target within the area of the spell that takes 10d6 points of cold damage. For every creature exposed to the rain that had a spell or spell-like ability dispelled by this spell, the damage taken by the target rises by 10d6 to a maximum of 100d6.

Focus

A white crystal in the shape of a teardrop, worth no less than 2,000 gold.

===

Rain of Desolation served as inspiration

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 06, 2019, 11:35:53 PM
Spell for fixing/updating:

Transmutation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 7
Components: V, S,
Range: Close (25ft +5ft per 2 levels)
Area: One 10 foot square per level
Duration: 1 min./level, Special Concentration (See text)

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. Your spell causes the ground to tremble noticably under foot as the elements in it transform into blades of random design and push up from the ground.
These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area. Further, taking more than a 5 foot step is cut viciously by them, taking 1d8 and 5 points of bleeding damage for each 10 feet they move.

This bleeding damage persists until treated by a Heal check vs the spell DC or 1 point of healing energy.
Additionally, as long as the bleeding damage persists, the wounded creature's land speed is reduced by half.

If the caster choses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them one of two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground.
Alternately, they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing the blades in a 10 foot square at a flying creature, dealing 1d8 and 5 points of bleeding damage with a Ranged Touch Attack.
Any creature with the ability to fly from discernable anatomy (wings, for example), loses the ability to fly as long as the bleeding persists.

It needs a name first.

That being said, I'd suggest upping the damage, streamlining the spell and dropping the bleeding damage. A few points of bleeding damage a round on a 7th level spell isn't getting it done.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 07, 2019, 08:24:38 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on December 14, 2018, 04:02:02 PM
Quote from: Corwin on December 14, 2018, 02:54:34 PM
I'd like to ask about the following spells, and whether they are valid targets for Permanency.

Bibliotheca Arcana

This spell's close to being permanent in practice because of the 24 hour duration. I'll think about it and if I want to establish this one as a thing. It's not really changing anything, because if you can cast this and want it, you probably already are.

Yeah sure, it's not going to change anything and still dispels just as well (if temporarily) if you get targeted dispelled.

QuoteI'd also like to ask about the following spells:
Lliira's Joy
Three-Fold Breath

They're short duration, but would be fun to have.

Do you mean as permanent spells or as sor/wiz spells?

To the former: No and no.

To the latter: No and it already is a sor/wiz spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Field of Blades
Transmutation

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. Your spell causes the ground to tremble noticeably under foot as it transform into blades of random design and push up from the ground.
These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area. Further, anyone taking more than a 5 foot step is cut viciously by them, taking 1d6 damage per caster level and slowing their land movement speed by half.

If the caster chooses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground, or they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing the blades in a 10 foot square at a flying creature, dealing 1d6 damage per caster level with a Ranged Touch Attack. Any creature with the ability to fly from discernible anatomy (wings, for example) that is dealt damage this way loses their ability to fly.

The speed penalty and loss of flight lasts as long as the damaged creature is in the field and 1d4+1 rounds after they exit it.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 08, 2019, 10:57:42 AM
Made drafts of two new spells, would appreciate thoughts.

Cauldron's Hearth
Transmutation
Level: Clr 10, Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, M, special
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Spell Resistance No

Intoning a prayer to Seira and Sanzha, you call upon their insights into elemental harmony to make your elemental spells more fluid conceptually. The harmony of balance betweeen the elements protects your spells from restrictions upon elemental magic that have been created by planar conditions, terrain or ambient spells.

Material Components

Cauldron steel mined personally by Yandrazrt, of no less than 1,000 gold value.

===

Shield of Sylica served as inspiration

Do you mean things like impeded spellcasting, such as needing a Spellcraft check to cast water spells in Fire? I think this is a case where I'd like to hear your intend and how precisely you imagine it working, since 'ambient spells' is vague.

Basic idea looks fine, pending focusing the details and what you have in mind here.

QuoteFocused Rain of Desolation
Abjuration
Level: Drd 14, Sor/Wiz 14, Water 14
Area: 20-ft.-radius burst/level
Saving Throw: No

This spell summons a driving, drenching cold rain. Creatures within it are struck by a bitter cold as the magic around them crumbles. All creatures within the radius are treated as being affected by a targeted greater dispel magic (maximum dispel check modifier of +40).

At the time of casting, you designate a target within the area of the spell that takes 10d6 points of cold damage. For every creature exposed to the rain that had a spell or spell-like ability dispelled by this spell, the damage taken by the target rises by 10d6 to a maximum of 100d6.

Focus

A white crystal in the shape of a teardrop, worth no less than 2,000 gold.

===

Rain of Desolation served as inspiration.

Changelog: Lacks the evocation dual school, should have that. Area's changed to a 20ft/level radius burst. Drops the Fortitude save, that'll need to come back. Dispel modifier raises to a max of +40. Base damage of the spell goes up from 5d6 to 10d6 but the damage is now single target. Damage rises by 10d6 per dispelled spell and has a cap of 100d6.

Interesting but I'm going to say no to it right now for several reasons. 1. It lacks a save for the damage, I presume this is an oversight. 2. It should be abjuration/evocation like the original spell. 3. The range + high boosts per creature with a spell dispelled + 100d6 damage cap = no. You overshot it pretty hard here, the base damage feels out of line with other 14th level spells.

Rain of Desolation's 50d6 is a little high for an 12th level spell, but it's not the highest for the level and the slow escalation of it means it rarely reaches its maximum damage. 2d6 per spell requires 40 spells or SLAs be dispelled to hit max damage. With a cylinder radius, that's not the easiest thing. It's certainly not impossible, but this is far from guaranteed damage and the spell is balanced around that.

In contrast, Focused Rain of Desolation 100d6 blows most 14th level spells out for damage. You can see the list below for reference and to get a better feel of the damage ranges for 14th level magic. Side note: The 50d10 is potentially out of whack, I need to review and test Lightning's Rise more later. That's one thing.

The next thing is that when you combine the much larger radius spread of Focused Rain of Desolation along with the changes to how the damage accrues, it's much easier to reach the cap. You only need to dispel spells on nine creatures within the radius, and you're dealing with a radius of several hundred feet at the levels where you cast this. This strikes me as far easier to fulfill than Rain of Desolation's damage escalation. That's a second thing.

The third thing is that big radius. I've never written a wide reaching dispel magic, most rely on being single target or fairly limited in range. That's a gigantic escalation compared to both the original spell and anything in the Spell Collection already. Frankly, a wide reaching dispel magic-esque spell would be a valid epic spell by itself.

When you have it all put together, you have a wide reaching dispel that's also doing way more damage potentially than any other 14th level spell - and the structure of the spell encourages you to use it in a situation where you'll max out the damage. This is out of balance for a 14th level spell. I invite you to adjust the spell, make some modifications and resubmit it once you have.

References:

14th level spell damage: 40d8, 25d6, 50d6 (25d6+25d6), 45d6, 50d6 (25d6+25d6), 50d10, 40d6, 35d10, 50d6 (25d6+25d6), 40d6, 40d6, 40d10.
Max damage potential: 320, 150, 300, 270, 300, 500, 240, 350, 300, 240, 240, 400. Averages are a bit above half max damage, as I recall.

Rain of Desolation
Abjuration/Evocation [Cold]
Level: Drd 12, Sor/Wiz 12, Water 12
Area: Cylinder (40ft radius, 80ft high)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

This spell summons a driving, drenching cold rain. Creatures within it are struck by a bitter cold as the magic around them crumbles. All creatures within the radius are treated as being affected by a targeted greater dispel magic (maximum dispel check modifier of +30). Creatures exposed to this rain take 5d6 points of cold damage. This damage rises by 2d6 for each spell or spell-like ability dispelled by this spell, to a maximum of 50d6. This damage applies to all creatures within the Rain of Desolation. For example, a Rain of Desolation that dispels 5 effects deals 15d6 cold damage to all creatures within it. A Fortitude save is allowed to halve the cold damage.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on June 08, 2019, 09:44:28 PM
Field of Blades
Transmutation

As you cast this spell, the sound of a blade unsheathing can be heard. Your spell causes the ground to tremble noticeably under foot as it transform into blades of random design and push up from the ground.
These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area. Further, anyone taking more than a 5 foot step is cut viciously by them, taking 1d6 damage per caster level and slowing their land movement speed by half.

If the caster chooses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground, or they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing the blades in a 10 foot square at a flying creature, dealing 1d6 damage per caster level with a Ranged Touch Attack. Any creature with the ability to fly from discernible anatomy (wings, for example) that is dealt damage this way loses their ability to fly.

The speed penalty and loss of flight lasts as long as the damaged creature is in the field and 1d4+1 rounds after they exit it.

Okay, so short version: Area affected is difficult terrain, deals 1d6 damage per CL if creatures move through it, slows their land movement speed by half (which is redundant with difficult terrain as it is) and some concentration options.

Okay. Cap the damage, likely low since this spell is as much about damage as the utility and control options around it. There's a lot of word adjustments but nothing super critical to function.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 05, 2019, 06:23:13 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 02:55:11 PM
Quote from: Corwin on May 31, 2019, 04:10:30 AM

Quote from: Anastasia on March 20, 2019, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 15, 2019, 06:45:21 PM
There's a couple spells that I want to get my own variants of.

First, this one, where the only change is to the energy type.

Seira's Fiery Leap (Lightning Leap)

Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V
Range: Personal and 60 ft.
Target/Area: You/10-to–60-ft. line
Saving Throw: None and Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No and Yes

With a sudden flash, you find yourself standing on the other side of the battle, leaving a smoking trail behind you.

You transform yourself into a stream of plasma. This line can be of any length from 10 feet to 60 feet, measured in 5-foot increments. You reappear in any square adjacent to the last square entered by the line, along with any gear worn or carried (up to a maximum of your heavy load limit). You can't bring along other creatures except for your familiar.

The line deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 15d6) to anything in its area. A successful Reflex save halves this damage, and spell resistance applies.

For this one, I took out the part about not making attacks of opportunity and removed the saving throw corresponding to it. If I read the original spell wrong and the save was also for the flanking aspect, I'd prefer to price it higher to compensate. Also, it gained a thematic change as well.

Seira's Phantom Battle (Phantom Battle)
(Player's Handbook II, p. 120)

Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sorcerer 4/Wizard 4
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create an illusory horde of snarling reds and proud gold dragons locked in battle.
Creatures in the area move cautiously as they are caught up in the phantom melee.
This spell creates the illusion of a fierce battle.
Your enemies move cautiously, since the roar and confusion of the battle distracts them.
All creatures within the area are considered flanked.
A creature ignores this effect when it leaves the spell's area.
A phantom battle spell produces noise appropriate to fierce dragons locked in battle.
Anyone in the battle can plainly see that the conjured dragons are no threat, since they strike solely at their brethren, but the din, tumult, and confusion make it difficult to focus on the true foes at hand.
When you cast this spell, you can choose for it not to affect a number of allies you designate less than or equal to your caster level.

I kept on going back and forth with you on this spell, and since it went nowhere I decided to go for the original Pathfinder option. Of course, if that was an oversight and you actually approve of my revision in that link, that's even better.

Seira's Healing Flames
Conjuration (Healing) [Fire, Good]
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst, centered on you
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text;
Spell Resistance: Yes

You unleash a blast of holy flames that washes over all creatures in the area in a glorious display of divine power. This deals damage to evil creatures and heals good creatures in the area. The amount of damage dealt and the number of hit points restored in each case is 1d8 points per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8).

Half of the damage this spell deals to evil creatures is fire damage, and half of the damage is pure divine power that is therefore not subject to reduction by energy resistance to fire-based attacks.

Neutral enemies within the spell's area of effect also take the fire damage, but do not take the divine damage. Neutral allies within the area are healed by half as much as good creatures. A successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage taken in all cases.

A fire version of Lightning Leap is fine, you use that enough that you may as well make it distinct.

Rest doesn't seem objectionable offhand. If I missed anything, someone speak up.

Reminder to add these spells to Spell Compendium. Seeing Dolmaya's spells reminded me that they weren't listed.

Reminder #2

Will remind as often as necessary!

Being added when I add Asgeroth's spells in a little while.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quick Hit: 5 tips for spell creation.

Here's a secret: I don't like rejecting spells or telling you all to revise them. I'd rather see good work that we're all happy with and can go right into the collection, minimal to no adjustments needed. So here's five tips to help you hit that sweet spot and make good spells.

1. Write out the information block for the spell by hand.

For reference, the information block is this (taken from Rain of Desolation since it's right there):

Rain of Desolation
Abjuration/Evocation [Cold]
Level: Drd 12, Sor/Wiz 12, Water 12
Area: Cylinder (40ft radius, 80ft high)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text

I've found this is better than pasting, since not only can you write the formatting out properly, but you have to write and inspect each part of the spell. The extra attention gives another chance for consideration as well as a chance to catch mistakes you may miss in copying and pasting.

Plus getting all the small formatting details right makes my DMly heart less evil. Slightly.

2. Check if the spell should be on any other spell lists.

When you write a spell, you likely have it in mind for a particular class spell list. That's perfectly fine, but many spells fit on multiple class spell lists. If you find your spell is reasonable to be on multiple spell lists, this provides more versatility and variety for everyone. This isn't mandatory - some spells could arguably be on another spell list but aren't for various reasons or by the choice of the creator - but it's useful and worth considering. Moreover, the time to analyze and consider what you're doing with the spell and how it fits class spell lists encourages another critical look at your spell.

3. Do the math, or at least make sure it passes the casual reading test.

Balancing the exact math of a spell's always requires a deft touch. The best way to check if your spell balances is to compare it to spells of the same level (on the same class list(s) as your new spell) and see how that works out. If it looks out of balance just on a glance, you have a problem. If you do the math (and I suggest you do) and the math is out of whack, you have a problem.

This applies to the information block of the spell and any math in the spell (such as damage, bonuses or a dispel check).

4. Make sure you have your caps on.

In general, spells have limitations. Any sort of incremental increases in the spell description, such as xdx damage per caster level, eventually hits a cap. Remember these exist and don't forget them. This isn't the biggest failing ever, but it will get you dinged every time I catch it. Caps are an important part of the spell, so bear those in mind. Damage, dispel checks, bonuses that rise with caster level - anything like that should eventually hit a cap.

5. The 180 test.

When your spell's done, take a moment and relax. Read it over again and consider: If the DM pulled this out against my character, would I cry that this is unbalanced and unfair? This requires a certain brutal honesty, but if the answer is yes, you need to revise. There's a variant test that can be useful as well: If another played had this spell, would I feel it's unfair and unbalanced?

Bonus. Exception checker.

Exceptions happen. If you feel one spell is unusual, odd or doesn't fit in with other spells, check with me before using it to model a new spell. This isn't absolutely required, but it can be helpful and clarifying, as well as potentially saving you work in spell creation.

Bonus 2. For fuck's sake read the fucking formatting we fucking use in the fucking collection.

It's not sorc/wiz, it's sor/wiz. No c.

It's not 10-feet, 10-ft, ten-ft or anything like that. When writing a number of feet, use the following: xft. 10ft, 20ft, 450ft, whatever.

The information block (see above) doesn't use periods at the ends of the lines. For example, it's Duration: Instantaneous instead of Duration: Instantaneous. No period needed.

For the sake of formatting, the format in the collection trumps what's in the books, in case there's a difference. Feel free to ask me if you aren't sure. This isn't mandatory, but it makes your DM a happier DM.
Yes, it's seven entries total.
Yes, I care about stupid things like D&D formatting. Chronic DM syndrome.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Field of Blades
Transmutation

These blades cause difficult terrain for everyone in the area and deals 1d6 per level (maximum of 15d6) and reduces land movement speed by half.

If the caster chooses to Concentrate on the spell, they can exert a level of control over it. This grants them two options per round: they can exclude creatures from the effect by drawing the blades in their path back into the ground, or they can target a flying creature with the spell, firing blades at a flying creature, dealing 1d6 damage per level (maximum of 10d6) with a Ranged Touch Attack. Any creature with the ability to fly from discernible anatomy (wings, for example) damaged this way loses their ability to fly.

This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

I'm pretty sure you misread my spell. The focused rain of desolation has several changes, but the main is that instead of dealing a max of 50d6 to every person in the spell area, the focused one deals 100d6 to a single person in the spell area. Reaching the cap is as easy as previously, since it's 1 person per damage advance rather than 1 dispelled spell/SLA. If you want to reach the cap, you will, in either version.

That said, if you think 50dX is the desired cap for any spell level in the near future, I can rework the spell to deliver a powerful debuff to the single target rather than direct damage. Would that work better for you?

For the Hearth spell, impeded elemental magic for whatever reason. Plane of Fire impeded magic planar traits, needing a spellcraft check to cast fire spells underwater, Imix's bullshit 'no water spells within this area' spell and so on.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 09, 2019, 04:37:02 AM
I'm pretty sure you misread my spell. The focused rain of desolation has several changes, but the main is that instead of dealing a max of 50d6 to every person in the spell area, the focused one deals 100d6 to a single person in the spell area. Reaching the cap is as easy as previously, since it's 1 person per damage advance rather than 1 dispelled spell/SLA. If you want to reach the cap, you will, in either version.

That said, if you think 50dX is the desired cap for any spell level in the near future, I can rework the spell to deliver a powerful debuff to the single target rather than direct damage. Would that work better for you?

I'm aware it's single target and my reply goes into why I think it's easier to hit the cap with it, along with how the expanded range empowers the spell to do so. (Though note it's only 23 spells to reach 50d6, not 40, that's a mistake.) Checking on uses of Rain of Desolation in B6, I see one that hit max damage and 5 others did not.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104246.msg1142716.html#msg1142716 - 21d6, 8 dispelled.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104205.msg1128763.html#msg1128763 - 15d6, 5 dispelled.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104167.msg1115156.html#msg1115156 - 25d6, 10 dispelled.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104250.msg1140053.html#msg1140053 - 50d6, 23+ dispelled.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104206.msg1127216.html#msg1127216 - 21d6, 8 dispelled.
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,104176.msg1120469.html#msg1120469 - 19d6, 7 dispelled.

Let's bear in mind that's with a much smaller area of effect than Focused Rain of Desolation. Assuming the same number of creatures affected as spells dispelled for the sake of example, the lowest clocks in at 60d10 damage, and with that range, I doubt you'll only get 5 creatures with something you can dispel too often, especially in any sort of group battle. So no, I don't agree with your assertion that reaching the cap with either is easy, though it is much easier with Focused Rain of Desolation.

I'd suggest reading my entire commentary in my previous post and consider how to revise it based on that. Going in another direction altogether is possible as well if you'd prefer.

QuoteFor the Hearth spell, impeded elemental magic for whatever reason. Plane of Fire impeded magic planar traits, needing a spellcraft check to cast fire spells underwater, Imix's bullshit 'no water spells within this area' spell and so on.

Go ahead and revise with tighter language and a few examples so it's clear what it's meant to do?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I did read the rest of the commentary, I just preferred to focus on some parts of it first. Let me try to respond to all aspects here, then.

-Scale
It's unclear whether you would allow an epic Dispel spell (capped at +40) with an Area of 20-ft.-radius burst/level. Some of what you said suggested yes, some no. I'd appreciate having it cleared up. And if so, how would you price it.

-Saves and SR
How much would dropping a save from a spell would raise its spell level? What about SR? What about both? Forgetting Evocation was my mistake, but I did intend to drop the save. To me, that felt like a +1 spell level price given how this stuff usually works out, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. One of the things I liked most in epic spells in B is that many have primary effects that hit without a save, and a save (if it exists) only applies to the secondary splash damage.

-Damage cap
From what I understand, you're saying the level cap for a lvl12 spell (which Rain of Desolation is) should be much below 50d6, but it's balanced by how in our gaming history it only reached that once in nine uses? If I intended to use this spell only for situations where I believed I could reach the cap, would that make the spell unbalanced in your eyes?

-Dispel cap
How would you price a jump from +30 to +40 in spell levels? What about to +35? +45?

And a question about Rain of Desolation, since I've been thinking about it. It's listed as [Cold] in the description, but its name and the fluff suggest it's cold water. Would it do double damage vs Imix, or does it need to explicitly be a [Water] spell for that?