News:

Populated by the admins and moderators of your other favorite sites!

Main Menu

Game time

Started by Anastasia, June 11, 2019, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

"Then you'll win next time," Ranbar says, voice completely assured.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Corwin

"We'll win," Seira corrects Ranbar with a grin.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

"We'll win," Ranbar smiles, the game set up and...

Have ranks in anything appropriate?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Profession/General (33) at +69, so taking ten for 79.

Anastasia

Did I say that applies to games? I recall making some ruling related to it, but I'm drawing a mental blank at the sec. Do you recall?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

It's pretty much for strategies and tactics, and an otherwise useless skill I took for flavor. I can't recall.

Anastasia

Okay. In that case I'm punting it here since who wins honestly isn't important. It's added a medium priority todo in the todo topic, I'll track it down one slow day or another.

Thus the game proceeds, but Seira quickly grasps it, starting to blow ahead of Ranbar, which...

Go ahead and describe how you're doing this and what to play it? This matters here.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

She'd said her goal is to have fun, and she does, though in this instance it's less by cutting loose and trampling the opposition but rather by teaching Ranbar a useful strategy for the mid-game phase as they enter it.

Anastasia

Ranbar is utterly focused on it - she's played and it's clear she has, but she's just not a match for you. Yet she silently watches and moves her pieces carefully on her turn. Amaryl settles into watch...and soon enough Donald and Elle come join you, the latter murmuring, "We heard there was a game here."

Meanwhile Donald says, "Never played myself, but show her you can do it, Ranbar." Lowering his voice, "Seira pouts when you beat her at a game. It's cute."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"It's just not fair when luck taken up to eleven triumphs over skill in a game where luck isn't an actual factor by design," Seira says in a huff.

Anastasia

Ranbar's eyes widen a bit at that while Amaryl chuckles. Donald smiles at that, "Sounds like a sore loser to me."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"A sore loser would refuse to admit a loss, which I'm not," Seira points out, moving a piece even as divine power sends a gust of wind through the central board.

Anastasia

Ranbar quickly reacts, gauging it and trying to counter - but the current wind patterns are against her.

"You're still complaining about luck," Donald says with an impudent smile. "That counts."
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

"I like luck just fine in games of chance, such as the roulette or most card games," Seira insists, "where it is the actual contest and not a blind swing. It's like that saying about how the best swordsman doesn't fear facing the second best in battle, but the worst."

Anastasia

"Sooo...I shouldn't fear facing you in a sword battle, but I should worry about facing Elle instead?" Donald rubs his chin, "I'm not sure that's where that should be going."

In an amused voice, "Talk like that and you won't have anyone to face in a sword battle, especially me," Elle retorts, as Ranbar turns and laughs lightly into her hand, blushing a bit even now.
<Afina> Forever.