News:

You have made a powerful enemy today, stop sign.

Main Menu

Dungeon Crawling

Started by Dracos, October 18, 2007, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracos

Someone run a forum dungeon crawl or somethin' =P
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

You're talking a D/D style dungeon crawl of doom and character splattering, yes?
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Dracos

Is there any other kind? =)
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

I could do that on the following provisos:

1. Board based. Easier pace and access.

2. 1-2 posts per day. Something relaxed and to do on the side. Just some fun genericness to splatter things to.

3. D/D 3.5 core. Keeping a small side game simple is best.

Interested?
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Verily.  Though I was hoping more a varied pace.  You know?  When on and bored, fling a post kind of deal.  Some days none, some days 5-10.  *Shruggles* =)

Either way, yeah to core.

Dracos
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Quote from: Dracos on October 19, 2007, 03:09:46 PM
Verily.  Though I was hoping more a varied pace.  You know?  When on and bored, fling a post kind of deal.  Some days none, some days 5-10.  *Shruggles* =)

Either way, yeah to core.

Dracos

Eh, whatever works as long as it's casual. This would be purely something to do when we're killing time and not to infringe on other activities. Y'know, fun and disposable dungeon crawling.

Anyway, wanna go it alone or do you have another person or two you want to club into this? I don't care, group size from 1-3 is fine with me. Any bigger is a no go since that ups the amount of GM overhead.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

I'm fine if someone else on generally during the weekdays wants in.  If not, I'm also fine alone~ =p.

In fact, if I'm the only one, I might even play a monk again :D
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Well, whatever works for you. Feel free to club someone into it or not.

---

Okay, settings time!

1. Difficulty

Hard - The dungeon is a dangerous place. Monsters abound and traps lurk. It's possible to find one's demise it, but usually not by a single mistake or monster. You have a real chance of survival, traps are at least remotely fair.

Ultra Violence - The monsters are stronger than you, the traps are nasty. One shot kills exist but are not common. Save or suck will occur at times. Still, there's a chance of living.

Suicidal - The GM hates you and wants to see you die. Repeatedly.

2. Length

Short - One medium floor or a couple of small floors.

Medium - Normal dungeon size. A couple of levels, a few branching paths, ect.

Large - Big. Lots of layers, complex, distinct areas.

Huge - Fucking Undermountain.

3. Level

4 - A fine level for low powered adventuring. This tends to help keep some of the truly nasty stuff off the table in exchange for limited PC power.

6 - Medium power. PCs have all the low level skills mastered and may have begun PrCs.

8 - Medium power, but on the far end of the spectrum. The low levels are left behind and it's time to play with the bigger boys.
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

normal to Hard.  =P  I don't really like playing either of the other two in small groups or with D&D chars (The payoff isn't good enough for doing anything non-totally generic.  An hour of creation time to often a half hour of play =).  Much better to play those with freestyle, where its 5-10 minutes of create to a half hour of play).

Mmm, I dunno. Huge.  Why not, start with a medium and move to a huge if it works well?

8 (or six for a training level perhaps).  Played enough 4s for a while now.
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

Okay, Hard on medium/huge and with level 8 works for me.  Go ahead and stat up a PC.

---

For simplicity I will assume PCs have the following unless the build dictates otherwise:

1 week of rations
60 ft rope
Large backpack
Waterskin with water
Flint and steel

Any other basic gear you want, feel free to grab.

As for dice rolling, I'm inclined to do all of it myself(In a channel you guys are in, if you like) and just post the diced out results of your actions. Seems simplest for this sort of game. Shout if you're not cool with that.

<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Totally cool with that.  Will obviously also be trying to keep to simple actions, in line (Both sides should ignore the ability to change course midstream so we don't have back and forth per attack rather than per turn).

Anyhow, what money and stat build? 
Well, Goodbye.

Anastasia

27000 GP, as per a level 8 character. Blow it on whatever you want in the SRD.

Stat buy from 0; 78 points. Also, +2 from level 8 and 4, respectively. Therefore your stat caps are 18 with one stat having a cap of 20 or two having a cap of 19. (That doesn't count +stat items.)
<Afina> Forever.

Dracos

Cool.  I'll give it till tonight to see if anyone else grabs in :)
Well, Goodbye.

Merc

*raises hand* talked with Drac a bit on this. I'll probably play a cleric, though not sure on specifics. Will depend a bit on the general tone of the game, but I have something of a concept that I talked with Drac. May want to check how you feel on that, Dune, before I settle on anything, besides likelyhood of cleric.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Dracos

Yay, ninja kung fu orc cleric goblin monk paladins!

no, that's totally not even close.
Well, Goodbye.