"Why do you call it soulriders?"
"Because we grind your souls, hopes, and dreams down ... and ride the wave."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

DM NAGGING INCOMING

I've been off and on toying around with converting to some manner of spell point system. I already favor using spontaneous casters instead of prepared casters, and this would push things even further in that direction. Is there interest at all? Like or dislike? Let me know.

This is all purely in the realm of what if right now. No change is immediately incoming, but I've been considering this for awhile. It'll be a considerable effort, so if there is no interest or opposition, say so.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Yuthirin

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 16, 2012, 09:50:56 PM
It could be really cool?

I'm thinking about borrowing large chunks of material from psionics, they do the same basic thing with power points.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

They do. PP are also used to enhance powers to keep them competitive at later levels.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 16, 2012, 10:49:52 PM
They do. PP are also used to enhance powers to keep them competitive at later levels.

Yes. It's a fairly big paradigm shift, enough to where I don't want to do it unless people are interested.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

It's got my vote, though that should be obvious by now. It'd kind of require a complete rewrite of how all spells work everywhere. I suppose. That's a hell of an undertaking.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on February 16, 2012, 11:16:35 PM
It's got my vote, though that should be obvious by now. It'd kind of require a complete rewrite of how all spells work everywhere. I suppose. That's a hell of an undertaking.

Not really. I'm not looking to convert spells to psionics style. I'm simply looking for a spell charges/spells memorized shift over to spell points instead.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Well, if you think you can make it work, I'm in.

Merc

Well, if you do go with spell points, I'd have to find a new feat since that's kind of what Versatile Spellcaster does. You'd have to make some new spell point tables too, since there's only tables for the core classes.

Also, how would arcane strike translate to that? Just use up relevant amount of spell points for spell level that you'd sac?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on February 16, 2012, 11:21:33 PM
Well, if you do go with spell points, I'd have to find a new feat since that's kind of what Versatile Spellcaster does. You'd have to make some new spell point tables too, since there's only tables for the core classes.

Also, how would arcane strike translate to that? Just use up relevant amount of spell points for spell level that you'd sac?

Versatile Spellcaster would need to be retrained, yeah. Spell point tables aren't hard to make and I figure I'll need to make them in any event. So no big.

Arcane Strike would probably translate to the number of spell points needed for a spell of that level, yes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

For reference, there would probably be three spell point progression tables, to match bab. Poor (Paladin, Ranger, ect), Medium (Bard, Duskblade, probably Chameleon though who the fuck knows there) and Good (Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric, ect). Keep it simple.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

If that's your plan, I'm against spell points!

I'd point out that duskblades get a hell of a lot more spells/day than bards do, even if they only get up to level 5 spells instead of level 6.

Anastasia

Mmm, true. A fair point. Okay then, it probably would need more unique tables.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

A lot of classes/PrCs deserve unique spell point tables if the switch is made, though in this particular game the only two classes that should require unique tables at the moment are duskblades (me) and beguiler (Ilsanine).

Sorcerors are actually not a 'good' table, they get their own table that's better than cleric/druid/wizard because they get limited spells known. More focused spellcasters like beguiler/warmage/dread necromancer would probably get slightly more points for the same reason.

Anastasia

Ilsenine. Sorry, I try and stomp out misspellings when I notice them. Anyway.

I'm not strictly using the spell points variant from the SRD for my frame of reference, if that matters.
<Afina> Forever.