News:

"In closing, we have the best hobby ever. The End."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Let's try to break the book of hellish 'truth'! Fortunate Fate, Greater Heroism, temp hp, safe workspace, etc.

[22:53] <Jaela> roll 1d20+18 Dispel Evil, me, CL
[22:53] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+18 Dispel Evil, me, CL and gets 31." [1d20=13]
[22:53] <Jaela> roll 1d20+16 Dispel Law, Hanna, CL
[22:53] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+16 Dispel Law, Hanna, CL and gets 23." [1d20=7]

My bad, it'd be a SLA for me, so +17 for 30 instead of the +18. Hanna's roll is okay.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Since you asked....

-Can you give us an estimate of how many priests to the Triune we have now, and whether they're all about as competent as Priest?
-Do we know whether dimensional travel to/from Lifasa is restricted/can be restricted? If not, can we ask our captives?

Ebiris

Questions Afina has for Yian prior to raid on Burning Aeropolis.

Who is in charge of the Aeropolis in your absence?
What response would be enacted in the case of an open attack on the Aeropolis?
Are there any prison facilities for Lifasans on the Aeropolis? Where? What defences are in place? Who is held there?
What part of the Aeropolis is most tactically important to continued devil control of the area? What defences are in place?
What part of the Aeropolis is most symbolically important to continued devil control of the area? What defences are in place?

Corwin

This is for fellow PCs, really.

Do we know any names for resistance leaders that managed to evade capture so far? If not, does Yian?
If we get them, how about using Sendings to coordinate? It's not like we need their help in the attack, but if they can provide us targets or ask us to rescue someone and take them off world, it might be possible.
Do we think the devils know Yian's been captured by now? The flunkies we caught seemed surprised, but I don't know how long that will last.

Merc

The only name I can think of is Makaril's, which Yian just gave up. I don't recall any other names in the past.

Don't think anybody knows Yian's been captured, it's only been a few hours at best so far. Sooner we do something if we want to do a raid or such, the better though.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

For the sake of PC curiosity:

Yian, Former Dragon (Pit fiend 20/Half Dragon 3/Monk 7/Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 10), ruler of the Burning Aeropolis.

Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries had some mild modifications, mostly to the capstone due to it being a polymorph effect.

Feats: Multiattack(1), Improved Unarmed Strike(M1), Stunning Fist(M1), Combat Reflexes(M2), Alertness(3), Improved Trip(M6), Power Attack(6), Improved Multiattack(9), Improved Natural Attack(Unarmed Strike)(12), Toughness(15), Law Devotion(18)

Typical feat layout. Nothing too interesting here beyond pre-reqs and monk feats. Law Devotion would have helped if he got a turn.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on April 22, 2012, 02:39:22 PM
For serious consideration:

If we begin manufacturing material spell components using the bonuses granted by the Aurora, could we essentially be getting expensive material components at a discounted price?

Example: The Tsunami spell requires a 5000g tiara. With the discounts applied, it would only cost 1250g. Would it still be usable for the spell, with no change in the spell's functionality?

Unless the material is a magical item or something eligible for the discount in the first place, it doesn't apply. You generally need to pay full price for components or focuses, especially as oftentimes the component is a specific quantity of a precious material (diamond dust, black opal, ect).
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 22, 2012, 04:55:00 PM
Let's try to break the book of hellish 'truth'! Fortunate Fate, Greater Heroism, temp hp, safe workspace, etc.

[22:53] <Jaela> roll 1d20+18 Dispel Evil, me, CL
[22:53] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+18 Dispel Evil, me, CL and gets 31." [1d20=13]
[22:53] <Jaela> roll 1d20+16 Dispel Law, Hanna, CL
[22:53] * Hatbot --> "Jaela rolls 1d20+16 Dispel Law, Hanna, CL and gets 23." [1d20=7]

My bad, it'd be a SLA for me, so +17 for 30 instead of the +18. Hanna's roll is okay.

If you have time before you leave, could you post a link to the log or post with more information on this? I'm not finding it for whatever reason. If not I'll dig it up later tonight or tomorrow.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 22, 2012, 05:07:01 PM
Since you asked....

-Can you give us an estimate of how many priests to the Triune we have now, and whether they're all about as competent as Priest?
-Do we know whether dimensional travel to/from Lifasa is restricted/can be restricted? If not, can we ask our captives?

The forces have been added.

I'll come back and answer the second question if the coming interrogations don't make that clear, Cor.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Anatomy of Oblivion

This book is a study of the denizens of the Shadow Plane. Such creatures are noted to largely tie back to Shar, the Lady of Loss, and her endless song of oblivion. The tone of the book is clinical and detached, several multipage diagrams of the dissection of shadows, entropic creatures and other such things of note. Interestingly, the more powerful the entropic or oblivion based creature, the less of them that exists. A powerful creature tied to oblivion is little more than a pure black shadow with a form superimposed over it. They have no bodily functions, organs or even blood. Despite this, they resist dissolution just as much as any other creature of that fell level of power. When such a creature drains life, such as a shadow's strength drain, they actually lose internal mass temporarily even as they grow bolstered. The author does not draw a final conclusion from this, instead presenting the arguments and coming to a close without any final answer.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Ten foot tall dwarves and other fantastic tales!

This book is a collected tome of wondrous stories of various Prime Material worlds, written in the form of fairy tales. The foreword insists that everything in the book is true, if one only has an open mind and an adventurer's soul.

Ten foot tall dwarves: This story focuses on a race of dwarves known as the High Dwarves, who tower over the other races like stony paragons. Silent and wise, they work stone and earth as well as any other dwarf. It is said they have a mystical kingdom of wondrous riches, populated by stone-dogs, floating gemstone fairies and guardian mice.
The Lost City: Far away on one misty Prime, it is said that a great, forgotten race forged a utopia of towers hundreds of stories tall. In this mythical city all was made of mithral, so everything shined sleek-smooth. So beautiful was the city that the Gods themselves came to live in the city, for it outshone the heavens. Yet one day it is said that it faded from the world, lost to mortal knowledge. It is said that if anyone ever finds the way, they can join the Gods in eternal revelry there, becoming a demigod in honor of this legendary deed.
<This chapter has every word blotted out. In the margins is scribbed "I'm sorry!", "Don't look past the blots." and "Close the book and LIVE." in Draconic.>
The baby fairies: In one Prime world, it is said that childlike innocence never leaves. The people live as children in a world of plenty, knowing nothing of adulthood and making great cities of magical building blocks. Everyone plays every day forever, entire cities full of couch bunkers, paths over imaginary burning floors and pillow-towers. As these children are innocent, love making is something unknown to them. Instead, little fairies come when a boy and a girl become friends. She spreads her pixie dust, and a month later a new child is brought by the baby fairies to them, to join them in playing.
The wolf-dragon: This final story tells the story of a dragon so greedy that he even stole the howls and hunting prowess of the wolves. The big bad dragon kept going, stalking and stealing from all the wolves! Oh, it was terrible! Until...a young boy befriended the dragon, and made him happier! With a friend, he was glad to give the wolves back what he stole.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Tailfeathers and Raindrops

This is a book about alternate material components. It has a list of alternate material components for popular spells. If used, these variants cause minor changes to the spells. Most of this is just theory and bloat, but there are three that look to be entirely legitimate.

Fly: Tailfeather of a Celestial Hawk. The fly speed granted increases to 80ft, but the duration is reduced to 1 round per level.
Sleep: Raindrops falling from the sky. The gentle lulling of the raindrops grant a +2 bonus to the DC of sleep, but it affects only 3 HD of creatures.
Fireball: Stomach acids of a fire elemental. The spell deals an extra 2d6 points of fire damage (does not count against the 10d6 damage cap), but the save DC is reduced by 2.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Let us rejoice, for I finally got a good beta of that damn dragon PrC PMed to Yuth.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I don't think it's particularly clear, but I'll take the implied 'travel is open'.

What about Priest himself? He should be around 18hd, I thought. Is he going to be added as a 'named' NPC on top of the forces he brought?

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 23, 2012, 07:12:43 PM
If you have time before you leave, could you post a link to the log or post with more information on this? I'm not finding it for whatever reason. If not I'll dig it up later tonight or tomorrow.

http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,102075.0.html

Look near the end of the first log. We just never got around to doing it.