News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuthirin

Requests for adding creatures to Summon Nature's Ally.

SNA II: Fetid Fungus, MM5 p56
SNA IV: Bloodthorn, FF p23. Spriggan, FF p162. Yellow Musk Creeper, FF p190.
SNA V: Fossergrim, FF p79.
SNA VI: Oread, FF p134.
SNA VII: Dire Rhino, FF p61. Kelp Angler, FF p112. Elementite Swarm, PlH p114.
SNA VIII: Sporebat, FF p161.
SNA IX: Kelpie, FF p114. Octopus Tree, FF p130.

Saw these in a post on the Min/Max boards, thought they might add a bit of versatility to the spells. Especially the higher level SNAs, which are completely ridiculous in my opinion.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 01, 2012, 12:52:57 PM
Rituals of Mineral

[08:28] <Shizuru> I'll roll the int check. I'll assume it's not an opposed one so moment of prescience doesn't apply.
[08:28] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+6
[08:28] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+6 and gets 21." [1d20=15]

Jaela can puzzle out that this entire book is a code. It suggests there is a greater ritual hid within it - but she can't puzzle it out herself.

Quote[08:31] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+18 Dispel Evil
[08:31] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+18 Dispel Evil and gets 22." [1d20=4]
[08:32] <Shizuru> roll 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna
[08:32] * Hatbot --> "Shizuru rolls 1d20+17 Dispel Law, Hanna and gets 24." [1d20=7]

Swing and a miss.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on May 01, 2012, 05:59:17 PM
It's worth noting that we can do this incantation now without chance of failure:
http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,101739.msg1030928.html#msg1030928

Placing it at the entrance hall should block the castle's (not the courtyard's) sole gate and the way to the portal network/the chamber controlling the Aurora. Would it be an acceptable placing? It'll allow us to direct the enemies through the outer gates rather than have them avoid those traps and choke points and try to breach the outer walls, while adding an extra layer of security to the castle itself.

If the idea has merit, I propose to go for it once we repair the current batches + the training rooms.

It could work, yes. Do bear in mind the logistical and practical considerations about this, though.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

QuoteSNA II: Fetid Fungus, MM5 p56

No problem with them. Do note that only neutral or evil casters can summon them.

QuoteSNA IV: Bloodthorn, FF p23.

No objection.

QuoteSpriggan, FF p162.

That's fine.

QuoteYellow Musk Creeper, FF p190.

Weird monster. The 6 vine attacks per round give me pause, but the attack mod is so weak that it hardly matters at this level. I suspect these things are good enough utility to warrant bumping up to SNA 5, but in this campaign I don't think it's going to matter. We'll just try them at 4 here.

QuoteSNA V: Fossergrim, FF p79.

That's fine.

QuoteSNA VI: Oread, FF p134.

Earthquake spam much?

QuoteSNA VII: Dire Rhino, FF p61.

That's fine.

QuoteKelp Angler, FF p112.

They're fine.

QuoteElementite Swarm, PlH p114.

Those look okay.

QuoteSporebat, FF p161.

Eh. I'm concerned about summoning a heap o' them and then using the no SR (Su) enervation to drop 4d4 or 5d4 negative levels out in one go. Change it to an SLA and we'll give them a try. I'm still highly hesitant here - I just don't see any real use for them besides enervation bombs.

QuoteSNA IX: Kelpie, FF p114

Besides the emotion SLA - which got split into several spells for 3.5 - they're fine.

QuoteOctopus Tree, FF p130.

Okay.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Additional animal companions.

Level 16 or 19: Battletitan Dinosaur, MM3 p38. I''m well aware of the flavor text, but it's just flavor text.

Yeah, that's it really. It's a ridiculously large dinosaur and extremely stylish mount. Not sure if I'll use it though. The Dire Tortoise and Fleshraker call to me. Also: Dragonhawks.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on May 02, 2012, 06:00:31 PM
QuoteSNA VI: Oread, FF p134.

Earthquake spam much?

Errbody gon' be onna flo'.

QuoteSporebat, FF p161.

Eh. I'm concerned about summoning a heap o' them and then using the no SR (Su) enervation to drop 4d4 or 5d4 negative levels out in one go. Change it to an SLA and we'll give them a try. I'm still highly hesitant here - I just don't see any real use for them besides enervation bombs.

SLA is what I expected you to say! Also, for transparency's sake, I HAD planned on using Empowered Maximized SNAs to spam them for mass battles. I figure their SLA will bounce right off of anything boss-level though. They make for great aerial support against large groups of low to mid-HD beasties though!

Yuthirin

If I have a bipedal reptilian creature as an animal companion, how many slots does it have for equipment? Like, say, if it were a velociraptor.

What if it's quadrupedal? Like a horse?

Yuthirin

Was wondering about something I saw on the SRD, looked it up and found an answer.

Q: Do divine spells with Arcane Spell Components require the spell components?

A: According to this link, no. If the entry states that it is M/DF then a divine focus such as a holy symbol can be used to substitute for the Arcane Spell Component. Now, these answers were all from 2002, so I don't think that they're up on 3.5. Your thoughts on this?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 02, 2012, 06:01:34 PMAdditional animal companions.

Level 16 or 19: Battletitan Dinosaur, MM3 p38. I''m well aware of the flavor text, but it's just flavor text.

Yeah, that's it really. It's a ridiculously large dinosaur and extremely stylish mount. Not sure if I'll use it though. The Dire Tortoise and Fleshraker call to me. Also: Dragonhawks.

Yeaaaah no, not happening. The other two big level 16 entries have half the hit dice of the battletitan. That thing makes a T-Rex look like a party favor.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 02, 2012, 06:08:30 PMSLA is what I expected you to say! Also, for transparency's sake, I HAD planned on using Empowered Maximized SNAs to spam them for mass battles. I figure their SLA will bounce right off of anything boss-level though. They make for great aerial support against large groups of low to mid-HD beasties though!

Okay, we'll try it, see how it goes.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 02, 2012, 06:23:35 PM
If I have a bipedal reptilian creature as an animal companion, how many slots does it have for equipment? Like, say, if it were a velociraptor.

What if it's quadrupedal? Like a horse?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a

This gives solid guidance on the issue. When it comes up, I make a case by case judgment call about it.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on May 02, 2012, 08:31:20 PM
Was wondering about something I saw on the SRD, looked it up and found an answer.

Q: Do divine spells with Arcane Spell Components require the spell components?

A: According to this link, no. If the entry states that it is M/DF then a divine focus such as a holy symbol can be used to substitute for the Arcane Spell Component. Now, these answers were all from 2002, so I don't think that they're up on 3.5. Your thoughts on this?

This is correct. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components

If a spell is M/DF or F/DF, all a divine caster needs is their holy/unholy symbol to satisfy that requirement.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Corwin

Yeah, it's why I like the divine Identify even though it's a level higher.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

A Turning question. It's 1/2 cleric level in the house rules. Does it mean literally levels in cleric, or clerical caster levels? I'm a Favored Soul 18, for example, but my CL for Favored Soul spells is 20. What would Turning be for me, 10d6 or 9d6?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake