"The truth is stranger than fiction, but not stranger than fanfiction."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephrite

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 29, 2017, 05:29:31 AM
Finally caught up on the other threads! Hate to be a nag, but would Hanna die from that attack? Given temp hp, her dr 8/-, rage and fortunate fate her hp wouldn't go past her negative con. She also has the immediate action close wounds spell that could help tip her over and being healing, stop from deteriorating even if she's the only healer in the group.

Yes, I did the math. Let me paste it.

> roll 150+122+130+222-8-8-8-8
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 592 >

That's the damage she took after her damage reduction. So we're at 592 points of damage after damage reduction. I decided she didn't have temp hit points left, as it's only 10-18 and most likely she's taken a bit of damage somewhere in the battle. As for rage...

> roll 1d3 1 she's in a rage when it happens by chance
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 1 > [d3=1]

I figured it was a roll of the dice if she just happened to be raging when it happened. The dice favored her.

> roll 364+96
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 460 >
> roll 460-592
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < -132 >

So she has 460 hit points in a rage. The attack reduces her to -132. Fortunate fate kicks in and heals her. This puts her back at 18 hit points. However, there's one further concern in the form of negative levels. She ate 6 of them and that's -5 hit points per negative level. That's -30 hit points to put her at -12 hit points. That doesn't kill her. What kills her is the fact that she passes out, which means her rage ends and her Constitution goes down 8 points. That's what does her in.

HOWEVER.

On researching this for this post, I came across a Sage ruling in the 3.5 FAQ that says a barbarian's rage doesn't end when they pass out. I'm shaky on this for flavor reasons, as I struggle to imagine a bloodcurdling rage mattering when you're out cold. But let's give her that for the moment.

Afina's objection is noted but not relevant here, as a unique special quality is in play. (Side note: Epic can be something like a Nasu fight. Namely, the person who wins depends largely on who has the bullshit that trumps the other person's bullshit. In this case, the dogai has the tools for the job.)

HOWEVER.

There's one fly in the ointment.

The dogai has the lingering strike feat, which means his sneak attack damage repeats on his next turn. Even if Hanna's merely out cold, this finishes the job before anything meaningful can come. It's off possible something will happen to interrupt that, like Balyss being around and quick enough to fast draw heal before anything happens, so let's roll it out.

> roll 1d20+12
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+12 --> [ 1d20=17 ]{29}
> roll 1d20+3
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+3 --> [ 1d20=8 ]{11}
> roll 1d20+27
<Rei-chan> Kotono rolled : 1d20+27 --> [ 1d20=19 ]{46}

Dogai wins init and Hanna takes a ton more damage before anything else happens. Lingering strike finishes her off either way.

Even if Hanna throws out an immediate close wounds (let's say she can for the sake of argument), 1d4+5 isn't doing anything meaningful in the face of 18d6 damage once, let alone four times. So yeah, she's dead. I'm not going to bother rolling the 18d6-es, since even at min damage they finish her off. I can if you like me to anyway, though.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Iron Dragoon

Okay, so, I need a higher int modifier so I can put more people into the tapestry. I've got a +6 Belt of Magnificence already. Ideas/suggestions?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 30, 2017, 12:48:18 PM
Quote from: Yuthirin on January 27, 2017, 10:32:35 PM
THIS IS A REMINDER

Things Dune & I discussed last night: Finding a way to give Calleigh actual character levels and make the dynamic duo more overpowered.

1. Outsider HD
2. Character levels in either Ranger or Psychic Warrior

THIS WAS A REMINDER

Just going to post a chat log to frame the discussion before I go on, since I'm feeling lazy.

<Yu> is there a way to get her actual real HD?
> Not without also making her an animal companion or other shenanigans. Familiars don't get hit additional dice RAW. Last time there was a serious familiar - another courre actually - she did get a single level up due to special circumstances and a few special powers through plot, but it didn't change a lot.
> I dunno if there's anyway to give a familiar psicrystal powers and if that would help at all, I'd have to check.
<Yu> I just wanna pump her full of feats
<Yu> outsider HD
<Yu> It wouldn't, they're virtually the same
<Yu> I don't actually want to give her class levels
> Paste your build real quick?
<Yu> It's be hilarious, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot a good idea
<Yu> way OP
<Yu> http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103689.0.html
<Yu> I mean if I could, I'd give her Ranger levels, spellless and animal companion ACFed away
<Yu> or possibly psychic warrior
> Post in nagging that you're interested in that and I'll get into it when I have a few. I need to do my homework on it.
<Yu> I'm always interested in advancement, brah
> Aren't we all?
> But seriously I need to do my homework on familiar shenanigans, I haven't done that in awhile. Crystal does mount/companion which is really a different bailiwick.
<Yu> ok

So I did my homework and there's really nothing to advance a familiar in hit dice short of stacking another progression onto them (such as Hope being both an animal companion and a special mount) that grants hit dice progression. On one hand, this makes it difficult. On the other, much like Marie, Calleigh is an actual character who sees a lot of adventure.

First of all, no class levels. That's just adding way too much to balance, so just as well that you don't want to.

Second of all, are you tied to your psicrystal? Maybe sacrifice that progression to empower Calleigh in some way? A template, some hit dice, something like that?

The thought of combining Calleigh & psicrystal intrigues me. I have two feats invested in the psicrystal, though: Psicrystal Affinity & Psicrystal Containment. The latter being the more valuable, but I don't necessarily find myself using it as much as I thought I would (read: At all). What are your thoughts here? Would Calleigh act as the psicrystal, or would everything about the psicrystal be wiped out to power a change in Calleigh? Would I retain Psicrystal Affinity? And Containment?

For information:

Psicrystal Affinity is the feat that provides a psionic character or creature with access to a Psicrystal.

Psicrystal Containment is the feat that provides a second psionic focus which can be expended for psionic and metapsionic feats. This allows a Psion to apply multiple metapsionic feats to a power.

In regards to empowering Calleigh, I'd like to either give her a solid template or some actual outsider HD. Even if it's a fraction of Tryll's HD.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Nephrite

Also, as a note, I have no objections with your revisions of those spells.

Iron Dragoon

Need a freedom of movement buff. Maybe on the predeployment arch?

Anastasia

Quick note for Yuth, working on your post there, expect a reply this evening-ish.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on January 31, 2017, 04:16:19 PM
Quick note for Yuth, working on your post there, expect a reply this evening-ish.
yey
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Yuthirin on January 30, 2017, 03:25:32 PMThe thought of combining Calleigh & psicrystal intrigues me. I have two feats invested in the psicrystal, though: Psicrystal Affinity & Psicrystal Containment. The latter being the more valuable, but I don't necessarily find myself using it as much as I thought I would (read: At all). What are your thoughts here? Would Calleigh act as the psicrystal, or would everything about the psicrystal be wiped out to power a change in Calleigh? Would I retain Psicrystal Affinity? And Containment?

For information:

Psicrystal Affinity is the feat that provides a psionic character or creature with access to a Psicrystal.

Psicrystal Containment is the feat that provides a second psionic focus which can be expended for psionic and metapsionic feats. This allows a Psion to apply multiple metapsionic feats to a power.

In regards to empowering Calleigh, I'd like to either give her a solid template or some actual outsider HD. Even if it's a fraction of Tryll's HD.

Short version: Psion ACF that trades 2 feats to do something like that. I'm still playing with the precise execution, but maybe make it an animal companion and allow it to stack onto a familiar somehow.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, so I've been playing with this. While psions are associated with psicrystals, the interesting thing is they don't get it innately. Unlike wizards and sorcerers, who automatically get familiars, it's a feat they can choose as one of their class bonus feats. It's like if sorcerers and wizards didn't get a familiar, but both has a bonus feat at 1st level they could potentially use to select obtain familiar.

Making a feat based on this is tricky. First would be for boosting a familiar, the second for boosting a psicrystal (in theory).

Endow Familiar [Psionic]
Prerequisites: Psicrystal Affinity, Familiar
Benefit:

OR

Endow Psicrystal [Psionic]
Prerequisite: Psicrystal Affinity, Familiar
Benefit:

So the bones of it aren't hard. I could toss on a few more prereqs easily enough, but that's not the problem. The problem is deciding how to execute this. There's little point in directly stacking the two progressions, as they're largely the same thing. So let's try this.

Endow Familiar [Psionic]
Prerequisite: Psicrystal Affinity, Familiar
Benefit: You no longer have a psicrystal, nor can you get one by other means. You instead use those energies to empower your familiar. Your familiar gains hit dice based on the number of levels you have in psionic classes.

1-3: +1
4-6: +2

And so on.

What do you all think? I'm struggling with this one.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

The closest precedent is Arcane Hierophant which merges your familiar and animal companion (or rather, adds familiar traits to your animal companion). Actually adding HD directly to your familiar isn't something you'd usually see.

It's not really useful either since the familiar's hd counts as your hd for any numeric effects, so the only real benefit it's getting is feats.

So why not just cut the middle man, make up say a bonus feat list of appropriately psionic feats and say that your familiar gets to add a bonus feat from the list for every 5 levels or something?

Nephrite

Dune, any thought to adding Disjunction as a Bard spell?

Iron Dragoon

Got a fairly important question here for Dispels. I've got a bunch of feats that give my Dispels bonus to CL, but Greater Spell Focus: Abjuration gives me +4 DC on Abjuration Spells. Does that count towards my Dispel bonus, or the DC for counter my Dispel spell?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Ebiris on February 02, 2017, 12:43:33 PM
so the only real benefit it's getting is feats.

So why not just cut the middle man, make up say a bonus feat list of appropriately psionic feats and say that your familiar gets to add a bonus feat from the list for every 5 levels or something?
This is really what I'm after here.

Iron Dragoon

Does the Monk damage table (http://www.soulriders.net/forum/index.php/topic,103074.msg1050460.html#msg1050460) go above level 20, or does Epic Monk not get additional damage boosts after 20?