News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 15, 2017, 08:49:08 AM
Projects have been added to the Aurora topic and the amount updated.

Dune: Can you let me know if the long range spells update is done?

Done.

It's completed if it's bolded. If in doubt, quote the text and see if there's a tagging error or anything that would suggest it's marked wrong.

QuotePlease also add These golems to either the units or the mechanized corps groups.

Done. What alignment are they, Eb? It's not on the sheet. I assume neutral but I'd like verification.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 15, 2017, 10:43:24 AM
Do we have any officers/NPCs that are big enough to use a 6 foot round shield? And that actually would use one.

Not anyone who wants to use it, no.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 16, 2017, 01:38:09 PM
I've got three topics off the top of my head:

A Huge Victory over the forces of Hell in Benfal!

Aurora's strategy fells a paragon of the dogai!

Twin Terrors of Hell fall from grace!

Sounds good. Go for it as y'all please.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

All of Afina's intelligent golem default to chaotic good same as her.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 16, 2017, 11:15:48 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on March 15, 2017, 08:49:08 AM
Projects have been added to the Aurora topic and the amount updated.

Dune: Can you let me know if the long range spells update is done?

Done.

It's completed if it's bolded. If in doubt, quote the text and see if there's a tagging error or anything that would suggest it's marked wrong.

QuotePlease also add These golems to either the units or the mechanized corps groups.

Done. What alignment are they, Eb? It's not on the sheet. I assume neutral but I'd like verification.

I think Neph was talking about this, which isn't bolded on the Aurora topic:

Quote---> Add long range spell capacity (Allows casting spells through Medicant and through the illusionary battlefield) 400,000 gold; 5 DC 50 spellcraft checks; 4 DC 50 K:A check; 10 days.

On an unrelated matter, I have a question about this:

QuoteAdd long range Analyze Portal capacity(Allows Analyze Portal results from the nearest portal when detected): 55,000 gold; 2 DC 30 spellcraft checks; 1 DC 30 K:P check; 7 days

I remember what it was intended for. I want to ask if it can be used for something similar.

-Can someone open a Gate elsewhere and use this feature to scout past it, due to it becoming the closest portal by nature?
-Can we use it as an early warning system? Ie someone sneakily opens a gate nearby, command staff gets alerted since the location of the nearest portal shifts while we are stationary?
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 16, 2017, 10:40:13 PM
Okay, let's get started. The quote below is for my own reference. I'm not going to write this in full D&D terms right now, rather focusing on getting it done instead. Time to try and gather some energy. Let's start with some basic uses, move from there. Let me know what you think.

All uses are daily spell charges rather than permanent changes. All uses are standard actions unless noted otherwise.

Uses:

Covering self with light as a form of clothing: Free. Syala and Alicia both did it in B1 and I think it's showed up before.
Creating a weapon: 2nd level spell slot. This is a plain weapon, nothing fancy. Lasts for as long as you hold it.
Creating a better weapon: 4th level spell slot. Gets you a +1 holy weapon. Lasts for as long as you hold it.
Blinding target: 5th level spell slot. Blinds a target within your aura by overwhelming light. The blindness is permanent. A Fortitude save resists. The save DC is 15 + Charisma modfiier. For the moment I'm marking it down as with the same DC as a 5th level spell. This may change.

Thoughts? These are some basics along what you were working on, how does this look? Are these directions you want it go in?

First of all, it looks great! I presume that versatility is not an issue? Like if I wanted to summon a +1 holy weapon or a +1 devilbane weapon, it's a matter of pricing things properly?

Also, still curious what light magic and light smiting would have been like:
QuoteJaela is suddenly entombed in light. Light everywhere, overwhelming and blasting her back. She flies back through a broken landscape, which blossoms to life as she lands. She has a sensation of flying, of soaring faster than she ever has before. Light flows into her, focusing in her hand? Her body? Her head? She isn't sure, and she has a strong feeling to guide it, to choose one of them. "Your smites, your body or your magic." Salandriel is heard in her ear, a whisper.

Once Jaela has made her choice, the party finds themselves back in the maze, by the trapped treasure chest. "Return," Salandriel is heard, albeit from far away. "Return to Lathander and his servant's maze."

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 16, 2017, 10:49:31 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on March 12, 2017, 11:45:09 AM
On the whole, I feel it's an 11th level spell. It does have counters - though a simple anti teleport spell stops the most common - but almost everything does at epic. If it works, it's an incredibly punishing tactic that deeply hobbles your enemies and lets you take plenty of AoOs at them.

Waiting on a reply here so I can move in whatever direction it needs to be moved in.

I still feel there's something missing to raise it to the decent posted lvl11 spells. I get it's all subjective, but....

Maybe the caster can free allies from being affected by the solid fog? They won't get the extra benefits, but moving and seeing normally would be good for the common troops.

Corwin

Dune, I'd like your opinion on this.

First, is it reasonable to have a better simulacrum spell? One that does 4/5HD or 3/4HD (and maybe caps at 20HD to not go to epic) instead of 1/2HD?
Can it be an actual body instead of made from ice? If the reason is how healing spells can't affect a simulacrum, it can remain that way due to magical reasons. After all, it's not like repair spells work on simulacrum.

Second, the banned ice assassin purports to be an improved simulacrum. One of the differences in their writeups made me wonder the following about simulacrum: "The ice assassin possesses all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original". There's nothing similar in the simulacrum entry, though presumably skills and abilities are covered by the following from said entry: "It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature's levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD)."
Does the creature made with simulacrum have your memories? How about your personality? Is it up to you? Or is it a robot with a blank slate in the original spell?

Third, simulacrum is a different creature that you can order around. I recall that you mentioned an avatar spell at lvl19. Is having a weaker body avatar of yourself that much better than having a separate creature with a weaker body of yourself?
Would an improved simulacrum be more or less expensive if it just provided a weaker body for you to drive rather than a younger sibling to travel alongside you?

Anastasia

Quote from: Ebiris on March 17, 2017, 03:19:03 AM
All of Afina's intelligent golem default to chaotic good same as her.

Cool.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2017, 08:52:18 AMI remember what it was intended for. I want to ask if it can be used for something similar.

-Can someone open a Gate elsewhere and use this feature to scout past it, due to it becoming the closest portal by nature?

Not anything beyond what Analyze Portal offers or other upgrades related to it give.

To be clear, you mean like seeing around the detected portal?

Quote-Can we use it as an early warning system? Ie someone sneakily opens a gate nearby, command staff gets alerted since the location of the nearest portal shifts while we are stationary?

There's no reason why not, though you'd have to have someone using it regularly. As a gate could last a round or two for a simple transport, once per round would be required. Automating or improving on this (since it's a piss boring job liable for errors at best) through magic would be advised. If you're interested, I'll whip up an upgrade for that.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2017, 09:07:51 AMFirst of all, it looks great! I presume that versatility is not an issue? Like if I wanted to summon a +1 holy weapon or a +1 devilbane weapon, it's a matter of pricing things properly?

Not terribly and within reason. It has to be things light could be associated with. A holy weapon? Sure. A flaming weapon? I could see that. An evil outsider bane weapon? Okay. Trying for something opposed to light, such as an unholy weapon or a frost weapon, wouldn't fly.

Generally speaking, a +1 weapon with a +1 or +2 property (mostly holy since it's so thematic it gets a discount to fit in) is going to be a 4th level spell.

QuoteAlso, still curious what light magic and light smiting would have been like:

Decided not to go into it for spoiler reasons. A DM has to save a few cards, y'know?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2017, 09:15:26 AMI still feel there's something missing to raise it to the decent posted lvl11 spells. I get it's all subjective, but....

Pretty much. It's one of those things you basically feel out, since it's not something that neatly slots into a level like direct damage or dispels. Moreover, it's one of those things that can range from hideously broken to mildly okay depending on the campaign style and the resources of your enemies.

QuoteMaybe the caster can free allies from being affected by the solid fog? They won't get the extra benefits, but moving and seeing normally would be good for the common troops.

Lemme get back to you on this part, since I lack the time right this second to compare it to some other spells.
<Afina> Forever.

Iron Dragoon

Since we're semi-doing Aurora upgrades, might I suggest adding an Evacuation Rune to the Pre-Deployment Arch? IT's a level 5 arcane spell out of Complete Scoundrel. It allows returning to the site of the rune as a swift action via Greater Teleport.

Since there was the assassin last fight, and it was semi-successful, it might be a good GTFO button.

Regardless of the upgrade, it's going into the tapestry.
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on March 17, 2017, 01:40:48 PM
Quote from: Corwin on March 17, 2017, 08:52:18 AMI remember what it was intended for. I want to ask if it can be used for something similar.

Not anything beyond what Analyze Portal offers or other upgrades related to it give.

To be clear, you mean like seeing around the detected portal?

Yes. Say Tepen goes to open a gate outside Aurora, and Jaela uses this system to scout ahead via this part of Analyze Portal:

QuoteA glimpse of the area where the portal leads. You can look at the area where the portal leads for 1 round; the range of your vision is the spell's range. Analyze portal does not allow other divination spells or spell-like abilities to extend through the portal. For example, you cannot also use detect magic or detect evil to study the area where the portal leads while viewing the area with analyze portal.

I'm also interested in an upgrade that reduces the Analyze Portal check from 4 rounds to 1 round or shorter.

Quote-Can we use it as an early warning system? Ie someone sneakily opens a gate nearby, command staff gets alerted since the location of the nearest portal shifts while we are stationary?

There's no reason why not, though you'd have to have someone using it regularly. As a gate could last a round or two for a simple transport, once per round would be required. Automating or improving on this (since it's a piss boring job liable for errors at best) through magic would be advised. If you're interested, I'll whip up an upgrade for that.

Interested.

Corwin

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 17, 2017, 01:57:17 PM
Since we're semi-doing Aurora upgrades, might I suggest adding an Evacuation Rune to the Pre-Deployment Arch? IT's a level 5 arcane spell out of Complete Scoundrel. It allows returning to the site of the rune as a swift action via Greater Teleport.

Since there was the assassin last fight, and it was semi-successful, it might be a good GTFO button.

Regardless of the upgrade, it's going into the tapestry.

The assassin OHKOd those he killed, though. An immediate rather than swift Rune would be pretty pro, though, since they could use it during the attack routine.