News:

Because we're grown ups now, and its our turn to decide what that means.

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 01, 2017, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 30, 2017, 09:56:56 PM
Improve suites (You and anyone else who gets one lives in high magical luxury) ---> 50,000 gold; 1 DC 30 spellcraft check; 1 DC 30 K:A&E check; 12 days

I wish to fund this. I can make the Spellcraft and K:A checks with a take 10, but I dunno what the K:E is. I don't have it, at least.

QuoteFor every 3 points that you pass a check, the price of the upgrades is reduced by 1%.

QuoteImprove laboratories (50% discount on magical items; 25% discount on repairs/improvements)

[20:22] <@Rin> roll 1d20+57 Sylvie, spellcraft, aided x2
[20:22] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 71 > [d20=14]
[20:23] <@Rin> roll 1d20+59 Tepen, K:A&E, aided x2
[20:23] <Serith> Rin roll for Serith < 77 > [d20=18]

13% from Spellcraft + 15% from L:A&E + 25% overall = 53%

Improve suites (You and anyone else who gets one lives in high magical luxury) ---> 23,500gp/50,000gp

17,750gp for Jaela
17,750gp for Surraruthru

Surraruthru also gets a suite of high magical luxury instead of his double suite.

Aurora topic updated.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

This should've been in loot since it's a bunch of weapon enhancement questions, but whatever.

QuoteBlurstrike (+2), swift action activation/first attack is vs flat-footed, 10 activations per day. MIC p30.

Sure, but note how uncanny dodge and blindsight/other means of unusual sense negate it. I'd also rule true seeing gets it.

QuoteImpaling (+1), swift action, 3/day treat attack as touch attack. MIC p37.

No, not going to open up the wraithstrike can of worms again or anything close to it.

QuoteShadowstrike (+5,000gp), swift action, 1/day extend reach by 5ft and deny defender dex to AC. MIC p43.

Go for it.

QuoteWrathful Healing (+3 enhancement, Enemies & Allies p. 20)

No.

QuoteVicious (+1d6 damage to self/+2d6 damage to opponent)

Sure, I've used that one here and there.

I also have a few questions about posted epic weapons:

QuoteCan it be a longspear or a lance? Does it count as a +7 weapon for the purpose of adding more buffs to it?

It could, though probably at a bit of a markup since it's an iconic weapon design.

QuoteOminous-sounding name aside, it's not actually evil by the looks of it? Also, how does the slaying part work? If I shot a dude with tons of energy drain and hit him with a Holy Power weapon, this can finish them off? Or it refers only to negative levels from the sword itself?

Much like enervation and energy drain (or negative energy in general), it isn't inherently evil. Same way positive energy isn't inherently good. However, many creatures who use this are inherently evil, so it's easy to conflate them, and negative energy can create undead if misused, who are also inherently evil. It's best to use negative energy very carefully, even if it's permissible to use.

If you get enough negative levels on them to equal their hit dice, yes, it kills them. Scary on paper but in practice it's usually not that big a threat.

QuoteLathander something parts with sunblades. Presumably he is the only authority if I wanted one? Do they have to be actual swords, or can it be a sunlance/sunspear? Could they then be enchanted further?

A sunblade has powers related to being a sword, so it would be harder to make a variant. Not impossible, but it would take research and effort.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 04, 2017, 04:20:00 PM
Since it's come up, how would an everdancing weapon work?

Some parts of this aren't clear to me. It would attack with my BAB and save with my saves. But does it benefit from my strength score? My spear-wielding feats? My spells?

This ties into the dancing property, obviously. Everyone, have I ruled on the dancing property much before?
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

If you had I don't remember it.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on March 17, 2017, 02:11:47 PMYeah, but in the future, it'll be a good escape in case anyone's hurt bad and needs to go. Just because it can't immediately counter an assassin doesn't mean it might not be a good investment.

As for the immediate thing, that's a Dune ruling. It seems a little bogus to me. Maybe get a wand of Contingency or something?

Yeah, belated ruling but no immediate action evacuation rune.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

I have removed the following from the Aurora Topic as they are completed.

Create a prismatic wall over the sphere of force around Aurora
Adapt wall to not blind creatures with less than 8 hit dice: 9,500gp out of 25,000 gold
Add the ability to turn the prismatic wall on and off: 28,000gp out of 50,000 gold

Anastasia

New upgrades in the Aurora topic: decrease portal analysis time and automatic portal sweeps.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 05, 2017, 12:29:16 PM
If you had I don't remember it.

I think I have but I think it was a DM side thing. Still, in case I'm wrong, I'm asking.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Okay, did a revision and cleanup of epic magic items. This is long overdue. Notes are below. Please mention any typos or possible rules issues, as well as any comments you may have. If all goes well, this'll go into the epic rules topic tomorrow or Sunday.

- This assumes you've read and are familiar with the SRD's section on epic magic items. If you aren't, go read that.
- If you have an item that's been changed in function, it changes to match what's here.
- If you have an item that's been changed in price, you do not have to worry about any difference. This goes both ways in case you got something that's cheaper now.
- Extended (+11 and higher) tables for magic weapons and armor are not provided, but they can be if desired.
- A second post soon will cover new epic magic items, a selection of things already created as well as DM board things. That's beyond the scope of this article, but keep it in mind.
- A few items were changed from the old post we were using from here. Those that were will likely see those in the new item post as different items altogether.

---

Epic Magic Items

These are as written, but with several adjustments.

- The 10x price multiplier is not used. See adjusted epic magic item costs.
- The competence bonus to skill checks for non-epic items is +15, so any item with a competence bonus to skill checks above that is an epic magic item. This overwrites the text that notes the maximum enhancement bonus to skill is +30.
- Epic magic items can mimic epic spells, as this campaign uses a different epic magic system than standard.
- There is only one feat needed for epic item creation and it covers any non-epic item creation feats you have. Epic crafting can be found in the spoiler below.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Epic Crafting [Epic]
Prerequisite: Any two item creation feats.
Benefit: You can create items that exceed 200,000 gold or items that exceed the normal limits for non-epic equipment. You must still have the normal, non epic feat to create an item in the first place, such as Craft Wondrous Item, Forge Ring and so on.

Adjusted Epic Magic Item Costs

As noted above, epic items do not have the arbitrary 10x price multiplier in this campaign. As such, a ring of protection+6 costs 72,000 gold instead of 720,000 gold. Any item not noted as having and adjusted price here should be considered to cost 1/10th of its SRD value.

Note that most specific weapons, armors and shields have adjusted prices due various changes and having unique abilities.

A few entries have additional rulings and changes besides price adjustments.

Adjusted Armors:

Note that many epic special abilities are improvements over non-epic special abilities. In those cases, armor should be allowed to upgrade to those, with the cost of the non-epic special ability as a discount to the price of the epic ability. For example, armor with greater acid resistance that is to be upgraded to acid warding should only cost 40,000 gold to do so. (84,000 gold base price minus the 44,000 gold price of greater acid resistance.)

Acid Warding: This absorbs per attack rather than the first 50 points each round. Change the market price to +84,000 gold.
Cold Warding: This absorbs per attack rather than the first 50 points each round. Change the market price to +84,000 gold.
Exceptional Arrow Deflection: Change the market price to +7.
Fire Warding: This absorbs per attack rather than the first 50 points each round. Change the market price to +84,000 gold.
Great Invulnerability: Change the range of options and the market prices to the following: 10/magic (+2), 15/epic (+3), 20/epic (+4).
Great Reflection: The free action to let a spell through can be done at any time, even when it isn't your turn. Change the market price to +9.
Great Spell Resistance: The spell resistance granted is now equal to a number + the wearer's hit dice. Change the range of options and the market prices to the following: 5 + hit dice (+5 bonus), 8 + hit dice (+8 bonus), 10 + hit dice (+10 bonus).
Infinite Arrow Deflection: Change the market price to +7.]
Lightning Warding: This absorbs per attack rather than the first 50 points each round. Change the market price to +84,000 gold.
Negating: The dispel check used by this armor is +21.
Sonic Warding: This absorbs per attack rather than the first 50 points each round. Change the market price to +84,000 gold.

Antimagic Armor: Replace this armor with the following: This armor is adamantine full plate+6, negating. Three times per day as a swift action, the wearer can invoke an antimagic field around herself for one round. Change the market price to 250,000 gold.
Armor of the Abyssial Horde: Change the market price to 442,000 gold.
Armor of the Celestial Battalion: Change the market price to 421,000 gold.
Bulwark of the Great Dragon: Change the market prices to 228,000 gold.
Dragonskin Armor: Change the enhancement bonus to +6. Change the market price 582,000 gold.
Shapeshifter's Armor: Change the market price to 206,000 gold.
Warlord's Breastplate: Removed, as the item focuses on leadership, which is not used in this campaign.

Adjusted Weapons:

Acidic Blast: Change the market price to +4.
Anarchic Power: Change the market price to +6.
Axiomatic Power: Change the market price to +6.
Distant Shot: Change the market price to +4. Change the spell used in item creation to sniper's shot.
Dread: Remove the save or die aspect of this weapon property. Change the market price to +4.
Everdancing: Change the market price to +6.
Fiery Blast: Change the market price to +4.
Holy Power: Change the market price to +6.
Icy Blast: Change the market price to +4.
Lightning Blast: Change the market price to +4.
Mighty Disruption: Removed, as this campaign does not use instant death.
Sonic Blast: Change the market price to +4.
Triple Throw: Change the market price to +5.
Unerring Accuracy: Change the market price to +5.
Unholy Power: Change the market price to +6.

Backstabber: Change the market price to 162,000 gold. This is a non-epic magic item.
Chaosbringer: Change the market price to 450,000 gold.
Elven Greatbow: Change the market price to 394,000 gold.
Finaldeath: Replace this armor with the following: This weapon is a morning star+7, undead dread and ghost touch. The wielder is immune to energy drain. Treat the wielder's cleric level as 4 higher for the sake of channeling energy. Change the market price to 400,000 gold.
Gripsoul: Increase the save DC to 37. Change the market price to 289,500 gold.
Holy Devastator: The bonus to smiting damage does not stack with the great smiting epic feat. Change the market price to 320,000 gold.
Mace of Ruin: Change the market price to 350,000 gold.
Quarterstaff of Alacrity: Change the market price to 313,100 gold.
Souldrinker: Change the enhancement bonus to +6. Change the market price to 550,000 gold.
Stormbrand: Change this to a +6 thundering lightning blast weapon. Change the market price to 500,000 gold.
Unholy Despoiler: The bonus to smiting damage does not stack with the great smiting epic feat. Change the market price to 320,000 gold.

Adjusted Rings:

Adamant Law: Change market price to 336,000 gold.
Chaotic Fury: Change market price to 336,000 gold.
Energy Immunity: Change the market price to 420,000 gold.
Epic Wizardry: Change the market price to 140,000 gold (V), 180,000 gold (VI), 230,000 gold (VII), 280,000 gold (VIII), 340,000 gold (IX)
Ineffable Evil: Change the market price to 336,000 gold.
Ironskin: Change the market price to 210,000 gold.
Universal Energy Immunity: Change the market price to 2,100,000 gold.
Greater Universal Energy Resistance: Change the market price to 300,000 gold.
Virtuous Good: Change the market price to 336,000 gold.
Weaponbreaking: Change the market price to 325,000 gold.
Epic Psionics: Removed, as epic cognizance crystals fill this role.

Adjusted Rods:

Besiegement: Change the market price to 220,000 gold.
Epic Absorption: Epic spells can be absorbed with this rod, as this campaign uses a different epic magic system. Change the market price to 300,000 gold.
Epic Cancellation: Change the market price to 240,000 gold.
Epic Might: Change the market price to 2,000,000 gold.
Epic Negation: Change the market price to 285,100 gold.
Epic Rulership: Change the market price to 400,000 gold.
Epic Spellcasting: Removed, as this campaign uses a different system for epic magic.
Epic Splendor: Change the market price to 300,000 gold.
Excellent Magic: Removed, as experience points are not used in this campaign.
Fortification: Change the market price to 210,000 gold.
Invulnerability: Change the market price to 315,000 gold.
Nightmares: Removed, as the main power is instant death and this campaign does not use instant death.
The Path: Change the enhancement bonus to Survival checks to a competence bonus.
Restless Death: Removed, as the item requires considerable changes for the campaign.
Wyrm: Change the market prices of the following: 300,000 gold (brass or white), 350,000 gold (black or copper), 400,000 gold (bronze or green), 500,000 gold (blue or silver), 600,000 gold (gold or red).

Adjusted Scrolls:

Epic scrolls follow the non-epic rules for scrolls in all ways. A list of standard prices (barring spells with expensive components or other reasons for a higher price) is provided below.

10th: 5,250 gold.
11th: 6,600 gold.
12th: 8,100 gold.
13th: 9,750 gold.
14th: 11,500 gold.
15th: 13,500 gold.
16th: 15,600 gold.
17th: 17,850 gold.
18th: 20,250 gold.
19th: 22,800 gold.
20th: 25,500 gold.

Adjusted Staves:

Necromancy: Banned due to a campaign rule against instant death.

Adjusted Wondrous Items:

Boots of Swiftness: Remove the ability to give the wearer evasion.
Bracers of Relentless Might: Change the market price to 500,000 gold.
Mantle of Spell Resistance: Removed.
Mantle of Great Stealth: The bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks is a competence bonus.

Formulas

The formulas for certain epic magic items are noted here for reference. Any theoretical is merely a theoretical, no promise of such an item being available is implied or intended.

Acid Warding (includes other warding properties):

Each 10 points of improvement raises the CL needed by 4. The exception is to reach 50, which requires a boost from 19 to 21. Otherwise, the formula uses is for a continuous effect with no other modifiers, including any stacking modifiers.

A theoretical resistance 60 property would be 2*24*2000=96,000 gold.

Great Invulnerability:

Each 5 points of damage reduction raises the market price by +1. A theoretical 25/epic would be +5.

Great Spell Resistance:

The market price is equal to the number added to your hit dice. For example, a theoretical 11 + hit dice property would be +11.

Epic Wizardry:

The market price improves by a fixed amount each spell level. This starts at 20,000 gold and increases by 10,000 gold every two levels. For example, a ring of wizardry 1 is 20,000 gold, a ring of wizardry II is 40,000 gold. At that point, the modifier rises by 10,000 to 30,000, so a ring of wizardry (III) is 70,000 gold and a ring of wizardry (IV) is 100,000 gold.

For reference, a theoretical ring of wizardry X would be 400,000 gold and a theoretical ring of wizardry XI would be 470,000 gold.

Rods:

There generally aren't any formulas. The SRD doesn't try to, so I'm winging it and slapping numbers together.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Hey Yuth, have a few epic psionic items to look at. Let me know what you think.

Epic Torc of Power Preservation

These torcs are identical to a torc of power preservation, except that they reduce the manifesting cost of powers by 3 or more (to a minimum of 1).

Overwhelming clairsentience; ML 21st; Craft Universal Item, reality revision; Price: 250,000 gold (-3), 600,000 gold (-4), 1,450,000 gold (-5).

Epic Cognizance Crystals

These crystals are identical to cognizance crystals, except that they can hold more than 17 power points. The exact capacity is noted by the in parenthesis by the price.

Note that due to the differing progression of psionic powers and power point costs in epic, some of the crystals are even numbers. This is an exception to the rule that cognizance crystals are always an odd number.

Overwhelming psychokinesis; ML equal to power point storage; Craft Cognizance Crystal, reality revision: Price: 121,000 gold (21), 144,400 gold (24), 169,000 gold (27), 196,000 gold (30), 225,000 gold (33), 256,000 gold (36), 289,000 gold (39).
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Hey, listen! Can you go back and approve that True Seeing spell or make whatever modifications you need to?

Yuthirin

Quote from: Anastasia on April 10, 2017, 09:24:57 PM
Hey Yuth, have a few epic psionic items to look at. Let me know what you think.

Epic Torc of Power Preservation

These torcs are identical to a torc of power preservation, except that they reduce the manifesting cost of powers by 3 or more (to a minimum of 1).

Overwhelming clairsentience; ML 21st; Craft Universal Item, reality revision; Price: 250,000 gold (-3), 600,000 gold (-4), 1,450,000 gold (-5).

Epic Cognizance Crystals

These crystals are identical to cognizance crystals, except that they can hold more than 17 power points. The exact capacity is noted by the in parenthesis by the price.

Note that due to the differing progression of psionic powers and power point costs in epic, some of the crystals are even numbers. This is an exception to the rule that cognizance crystals are always an odd number.

Overwhelming psychokinesis; ML equal to power point storage; Craft Cognizance Crystal, reality revision: Price: 121,000 gold (21), 144,400 gold (24), 169,000 gold (27), 196,000 gold (30), 225,000 gold (33), 256,000 gold (36), 289,000 gold (39).

that torc holy god

The crystals make sense

What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on March 23, 2017, 09:54:12 PM
True Seeing, Superior
Divination
Level:   Clr 10, Drd 12, Knowledge 10, Sor/Wiz 11, Brd 10
Components:   V, S
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range:   Touch
Target:   Creature touched
Duration:   1 min./level
Saving Throw:   Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance:   Yes (harmless)

This spell functions as true seeing, except for as noted here. It does not require a material component, and the effect of the true seeing spell extends to the lengths of your vision.

All I did was increase the spell level by 5 on all the ones it starts at (I have no idea if this is even remotely "fair"?) I'm not entirely sure the two level difference in epic spells for Clerics and Druids still makes sense at that high a level. I tossed in bard casting for the heck of it since they can cast the regular version at 8th.

Okay. I'm punting the knowledge domain part for one moment. I'll come back to that when this is added to the spell collection and I cross check with some other things.

Greater True Seeing
Divination
Level: Clr 10, Drd 11, Sor/Wiz 11
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell functions as true seeing, except as noted here. It does not require a material component and the effect of true seeing extends to the length of your vision.

Look good?
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Anastasia on April 05, 2017, 10:53:13 AM
Comments back to Neph on this.

QuoteAt approximately [Whatever it was local time] The massive demiplane known as Aurora appeared in the middle of the city of Elons Rapid.

I generally avoid using time as a marker to describe things. Most mortals are in a more medieval frame of time keeping than modern. Saying things like mid morning or late afternoon's usually close enough for how they work. On a planar scale, not every plane has the same day-night cycle and there's no unified timekeeping shared across the planes. By and large, it's not a meaningful descriptor.  I'd suggest rewriting this to remove it. It's the same reason you don't see exact dates used in B3, as various planes and groups have different calendars. It's simply not worth the trouble and confusion to use those.

Also, you may need to decapitalize the, depending on how the revision looks.

QuoteDetails are sketchy on what exactly happened, but some witnesses spoke of a massive explosion and a woman of heavenly light (author's note: this should be Jaela of Aurora) and a fantastic rainbow of colors (author's note: Likely Afina Devilsbane of Aurora) facing the dogai which eventually led to its defeat.

I'd suggest naming Afina and Jaela flat out, rather than alluding to them. It's propaganda, the point of it is to build up your reputation. That includes enhancing the reputation of Aurora's forces and leaders.  Unless there's a salient reason not to do so, isn't one point of this to build Aurora's legend up?

Any comments here? I'd like to get this out and rolling.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on April 13, 2017, 11:18:20 AM
Quote from: Anastasia on April 05, 2017, 10:53:13 AM
Comments back to Neph on this.

QuoteAt approximately [Whatever it was local time] The massive demiplane known as Aurora appeared in the middle of the city of Elons Rapid.

I generally avoid using time as a marker to describe things. Most mortals are in a more medieval frame of time keeping than modern. Saying things like mid morning or late afternoon's usually close enough for how they work. On a planar scale, not every plane has the same day-night cycle and there's no unified timekeeping shared across the planes. By and large, it's not a meaningful descriptor.  I'd suggest rewriting this to remove it. It's the same reason you don't see exact dates used in B3, as various planes and groups have different calendars. It's simply not worth the trouble and confusion to use those.

Also, you may need to decapitalize the, depending on how the revision looks.

QuoteDetails are sketchy on what exactly happened, but some witnesses spoke of a massive explosion and a woman of heavenly light (author's note: this should be Jaela of Aurora) and a fantastic rainbow of colors (author's note: Likely Afina Devilsbane of Aurora) facing the dogai which eventually led to its defeat.

I'd suggest naming Afina and Jaela flat out, rather than alluding to them. It's propaganda, the point of it is to build up your reputation. That includes enhancing the reputation of Aurora's forces and leaders.  Unless there's a salient reason not to do so, isn't one point of this to build Aurora's legend up?

Any comments here? I'd like to get this out and rolling.

Huh, I completely missed the reply to this. Let me go back to it and touch it up.