News:

"I stand humbled by your vast My Little Pony knowledge."

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

That explains why it felt we were talking past each other. Alrighty then.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Anastasia

Okay, took more lazy time than I planned on. Going to make some progress today.

1. Cor's light stuff.
2. Newspaper.
3. More bardic musics through feats.
4. Epic bardic magic item.
5. THAT FOG SPELL.
6. Druid class.
7. Yuth psionics. - In progress.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Task 1 down. Posting it here for feedback before it goes to homebrew.

----

Light Manipulation

Those who have a source of inner light to draw on can learn to manipulate it and cause various effects. This is most commonly seen used by celestials with an innate aura of light, creatures from the Positive Energy Plane and creatures with the Nimbus of Light feat. However, any creature who emits an innate source of light could learn these with the right time and training.

Overview

Light manipulation is known by many names. Celestials call it Alaire, which translates to 'Gift of Light'. Amid humans it is known as light manipulation or radiance manipulation, while the elves call those with it Shaoth (for males) or Shaothi (for females), which translates to 'Sungate'. Dwarven has no meaningful name for it, as the ability is rare even amid dwarves with the ability and will to research such magic. Most other languages use one of those names as a loan word or refer to it purely in derogatory fashion, such as most fiendish languages.

Regardless of the name used, light manipulation can be used by any creature with an innate source of light to manipulate. This must be an ability that is always active or at-will, though the ability to suppress it is acceptable. Spells and spell-like abilities are not eligible for this, even if they are permanent. Examples of abilities that qualify are the Nimbus of Light exalted feat or the energy halo of a quesar. While there is no alignment requirement, the vast majority of creatures who learn these arts are good-aligned or natives to the Positive Energy Plane.

Some creatures may be depicted or described as being surrounded by light at times without an explicit ability that does so. It is left to the DM to decide which or any such creatures should qualify to potentially learn these abilities. Generally, creatures who would have a thematic tie to light, such as celestials or natives of the Positive Energy Plane, are suitable choices.

Rules

Any creature with the proper ability can conceivably learn light manipulation. Aptitude varies from person to person, not every creature with the potential has the needed talent to learn them at anything beyond a glacial pace. Additionally, merely having the talent does not mean you will learn them. The DM may decide if a creature has a natural talent for light manipulation or may decide randomly. To randomly determine if a creature has natural talent, roll 1d100. A result of 95 to 100 means the creature is naturally gifted in light manipulation and can learn it easily. Other creatures require vast amounts of time and practice, often several centuries of exceedingly difficult work. As such, these abilities are far from universal, even in creatures who all have the potential to learn them.

A creature that has the talent to learn fast can learn light manipulation in weeks, days or even within a few minutes if they're particularly well suited to it. The exact rate varies, but all are learned on a scale fast enough to make learning them viable in all but the shortest campaigns.

Additionally, the feat Gift of Light may be taken if those without natural talent wish to learn these abilities quickly. Otherwise, the training time needed is usually beyond the scope of a campaign's timescale.

A creature who learns the abilities quickly discovers power is needed to fuel them. One can manipulate light without that, but a sacrifice of power is required for most abilities to work. Sacrificing a spell per day is the most common, though variants exist that use hit points and other finite resources. Variants are left to the DM's discretion.

Reading the Entries

Use is the application of light manipulation. This provides a name for the ability, further details can be found under that ability's description.

Cost is the level of spell sacrificed to power the ability. A cost of free means there is no cost and it may be used freely.

If an application of light manipulation allows a saving throw, it is 10 + level of spell sacrificed + your Charisma modifier. All applications are standard actions unless noted otherwise.

Additional uses of light manipulation exist, these are the most common.

Table 1.1: Light Manipulation

UseCost
Clothing of LightFree
Weapon Creation2nd
Magic Weapon Creation4th
Blinding Light5th
Searing Light7th

Clothing of Light

You can cover your body with light as a form of modesty and clothing. It is not actual clothing, but blinding light that hides what is beneath it. It can be applied to your body as you see fit, but it has no other impact on creatures nor causes them any penalty.

Weapon Creation

You create a semi-solid melee weapon of light. It can be any non-magical weapon you please and is treated as a normal, non-masterwork version of that weapon. As the weapon vanishes when it leaves your hand, only melee weapons can be made this way. The weapon lasts for as long as you hold it.

Magic Weapon Creation

You create a melee weapon of light identical to weapon creation, except it is a +1 weapon. Additionally, you may choose to add one of the following properties to it: bane (evil outsiders or undead only), flaming or holy.

Blinding Light

You cause your light to surge and overwhelm the eyes of a creature within 30ft. This permanently blinds them unless a Fortitude save is passed.

Searing Light

You are surrounded with a burst of burning light that deals 10d6 points of damage to all evil creatures within 30ft. A Fortitude save halves this damage.

Light Manipulation Accessories

Gift of Light [General]
Prerequisite: Able to learn light manipulation, cha 13
Benefit: You have natural talent with light manipulation and learn it swiftly.

<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Update 1

1. Cor's light stuff.
2. Newspaper.
3. More bardic musics through feats.
4. Epic bardic magic item.
5. THAT FOG SPELL.
6. Druid class.
7. Yuth psionics. - In progress.
<Afina> Forever.

Nephrite

Notes on bardic music and its replacements / enhancements

Spellscale Substitution Levels
(RoD 110)
Lose Inspire Competence, gain Inspire Arcana
Activate to Give your casters a +1 to Caster Level. Inspire competence is weak, but this is also pretty lackluster. The big downside is that it requires concentration to maintain.

Hymn of Fortification (CC 47)
lose inspire competence, use bardic music to generate protection from evil type effects

Virtuoso gets stuff like replacing Diplomacy with Perform, auto-stabilizes dying characters, force a concentration check vs. Perform check, can make people rage, can dominate person and can give everyone within 30ft true seeing (what??)

Sublime Chord gets Caster level increase based on perform check results up to +4 CL, can evoke a time stop effect on an individual, and can affect an area with fire that does damage based on a perform check result.

Lyric Thaumaturge can add 1 bardic music to add 1d6 points of sonic damage per spell level to any sonic spell (wow)

Anastasia

Okay, I don't feel like working on homebrew right now, so let's try something. Y'all give me a question about Balmuria and I'll give you an IC answer from someone. The answers will be generally truthful within reason, though potentially colored by who answers it.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

My question is what is the best melee weapon.

Anastasia

Stille: Ah, General Afina Devilsbane, that's a good question. I've used a variety of weapons in my career, but I think it's safe to say the best weapon is yourself.  After all, one can continue to improve themselves with technique and magic far beyond a normal weapon, which is more limited. A magical necklace can make up the difference of magical items as well. Though I fear that is not the answer you want, so I say a strong weapon with extended reach. A greatspear is a lovely weapon combining power and reach, so you can dispatch opponents before they reach you. A marvelous weapon, a greatspear.

Balyss: What my brother didn't mention is that a heavy mace is a wonderful weapon as well. So many warriors try to cut and hack everything apart, when smashing them is easier and more effective. Selune knows best!
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

Mine is how and where I can get the best ranged attack that suits me.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Nephrite

Who would be the best (either because of what they bring or some other reason) individual or group to forge an alliance with to support Aurora's goals?

Iron Dragoon

How do I improve counterspelling to simulate Spellcatching?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on April 28, 2017, 02:37:41 PM
Mine is how and where I can get the best ranged attack that suits me.

Sehanine Moonbow: Listen to the stirrings of your dreams, Jaela. Dreams speak of magic. We have given you Our blessings, including those of warfare. Develop these talents, your radiant assaults and gae assails. Your fingers are not meant for a bow and arrow, but to pull the strings of the Weave and Our blessings.

Hanali Celanil: You have the beauty and charisma to make magic love you, though perhaps you could learn to charm the arrows themselves. *Giggle*

Aerdrie Faenya: Forge magic that will make the winds slice your opponents apart. Ride on the winds as your magic commands them. Do not fear, we give you Our favor so that you may overcome Hell. Let them fear the dawn breeze.

Angharradh: As three We speak as One. We have granted you magic beyond mortal means. Use it wisely.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on April 28, 2017, 02:38:54 PM
Who would be the best (either because of what they bring or some other reason) individual or group to forge an alliance with to support Aurora's goals?

Eudard: Sir, I have the report on Aurora.

Oberuth: How accurate is this?

Eudard: As accurate as our intelligence and seers can make it, sir. Alicia and Seira are contributing and invested into Aurora, which lends us insights we wouldn't have otherwise.

Oberuth: So the conclusion is low impact for the Crimson Guard? Nothing new there, the alliance section hasn't changed?

Eudard: Not meaningfully. The one question mark is the Archangels. We know Aurora has had at least passing contact with-

Oberuth: Benfal.

Eudard: Ah. Yes, you're aware of that? That's our leading theory right now. If they haven't made contact with the Archangels of Elysium about an alliance, I'd be surprised.

Oberuth: Yeah, but if they have, we'd never know. Good. You'll have the garrison for several days, keep things under control.

Eudard: Sir?

Oberuth: Her. Antenora has intelligence on an infestation of them on Water.

Eudard: Good luck, sir. Helm protect you.
<Afina> Forever.

Ebiris

Where is the best vacation spot in all the planes?

Anastasia

Quote from: Iron Dragoon on April 28, 2017, 02:54:03 PM
How do I improve counterspelling to simulate Spellcatching?

Seira: More DRAGON!

Amaryl: Ahem. What my wife is getting at is that you really must pursue more draconic power. Perhaps you should study or even find a dragon with that ability? Perhaps you can forge a way ahead that does that. Kascha is good at studying dragons, she could help.
<Afina> Forever.