News:

No longer content with mere attendance, the middle-class suburban poseurs have begun to put their hands in the air and wave them like they just don't care

Main Menu

Random DM nagging.

Started by Anastasia, August 06, 2011, 10:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 12:34:34 PM
How about Power Word Stun, Mass for clr12, war12?

For War 12? Sure. Not Cleric 12, as the normal version isn't a normal cleric spell.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

Afina gains +2 to SR beating checks when using fire spells at level 27!

Nephrite

Because I love to nag: There are no Bard 8 divination spells currently (obviously the variant wasn't really designed with that in mind) could we work and come up with one? It seems like the class generally lowers the levels of other divination-related spells when it adds them to the bard list, as seen here: 4th—analyze dweomer (lowered from 6th), sending; 5th—contact other plane, greater scrying (lowered from 6th);

Thank you. :D

Corwin

Mass Power Word Stun might work as War 12, so I'll focus on War 11 for now. I figured I'd go on a 'Greater Divine Power' tangent here, using the lvl11 cleric spell Martyr's Kiss as inspiration of where to take it.

Divine Power
Spoiler: ShowHide

Evocation
Level:    Clr 4, War 4
Components:    V, S, DF
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    1 round/level

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

Martyr's Kiss

Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Touch.
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Special; see text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell protects a martyr to be, making them a dynamic force in a dramatic sacrifice. They gain a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, caster level checks, armor class and saving throws. The target of the spell does not automatically fail a saving throw on a natural 1. Further, reducing his hit points to 0 or less does not incapacitate the target of the spell at all, nor does being reduced to -10 or lower hit points cause the death of the character. They are immune to petrification, imprisonment, temporal stasis or any other attempt to imprison or bind them.

At the end of the duration, when the target is slain, if this spell is successfully dispelled or as a standard action when the target desires, his body explodes in a titanic burst of holy light. This deals damage equal to the target's current hit points + 50 to all targets within 40ft of the target. A fortitude save halves this damage. Obviously, this explosion kills the target if he is not already dead. Dying in this matter bypasses regeneration and other similar abilities, as the body is completely destroyed.

This spell functions only on willing targets who are aware of what the spell does. If forced on a target or they are not aware of how it works, Kiss of the Martyr fails.

Material Component

A pair of tears shed at the completion of the spell, one by the caster and one by the target.

Greater Divine Power

Evocation
Level: Clr 11, War 11
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks) as well as gaining a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls, and you gain 2 temporary hit point per caster level.

<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Corwin

Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 12:05:27 PM
I presume the bolded ones are yours and the others already exist. Let me know if I'm wrong.

QuoteSuggested  lvl10: "Greater Cone of Cold" [30d6 damage cap, the rest as Cone of Cold]

Reasonable enough. Write it up.

You are indeed right.

Greater Cone of Cold

Evocation [Cold]
Level:    Sor/Wiz 10, Water 10
Components:    V, S, M/DF
Range:    60 ft.
Area:    Cone-shaped burst
Duration:    Instantaneous
Saving Throw:    Reflex half
Spell Resistance:    Yes

Cone of cold creates an area of extreme cold, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It drains heat, dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level (maximum 30d6).
Arcane Material Component

A very small crystal or glass cone.

QuoteI wouldn't use Amea's Mental Partition for a domain spell. It's too much a niche spell a particular wizard dreamed up, which isn't good material for a domain spell, which are more universal.

I don't want to change domain spells already set without an extremely compelling reason, as that's a rabbit hole of more DM work, revisions and generally making my life a lot harder.

:(

QuoteSuggested lvl10: Miracle of Health
Suggested lvl11: Mass Regeneration (or Shape Soul)
Suggested lvl12: Instant Regeneration

Renewal's a tough one since it's not really a healing domain. Sure, it has some options to restore, but it's more about new beginnings and changes. Charm person? Makes a new and better start with a person. Atonement? Washes away sin to begin anew. Clone? A new body and a new life. I don't feel going pure healing is nailing the essence of the domain. To be entirely honest, I suspect it needs at least one custom spell.

Miracle of Health is actually Remove Disease on an epic scale. Remove Disease is the lvl3 slot for the domain, so I figure it works really well.
I figured Shape Soul should fit decently.
As for regen, there's a bunch of restoration spells in the domain so I thought they might work.

QuoteI struggled with War domain spells because War is the most important of all my domains. I don't only get to cast these spells (eventually), but I also get a bonus to CL and damage, so it's hard to aim for anything approaching objectivity. Anyway, you put Foresight there instead of Power Word Kill, so I looked for suitable divinations. The multi-target blasting spell is self-explanatory. Thoughts?

Breaking down the War Domain, you have three distinct types of spells.

1. Spells that boost your equipment.
2. Spells that cause direct damage.
3. Spells that cause negative conditions.

You also have an oddball divination due to a houserules patch. In retrospect something like meteor swarm may have been a better choice, but that boat's sailed.

I'd say 1 includes self-boosting and 2 is more 'AoE spells', but roughly yes.

QuoteMoonlight Revelation's too Selune to be a War Domain spell. It's tied to too many deities across the alignment spectrum.

Have a preference between Many Moments of Prescience and Superior Mighty Wallop?

No to Burst of Glory at 12. It's a good descriptor spell and War's a domain that transcends alignments, being offered by deities across the alignment spectrum.

Can Many Moments of Prescience be Time 11? Then Superior Mighty Wallop works for War.

QuoteSuggested lvl10: Greater Displacement [total concealment without Displacement's caveats, ie true seeing doesn't reveals true location, the rest as Displacement] (or Curse of Inadequacy/Snowbound Soul)

Write up a greater displacement and let me see how it looks.

Greater Displacement

Illusion (Glamer)
Level:    Illusion 10
Components:    V, M
Range:    Touch
Target:    Creature touched
Duration:    1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw:    Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance:    Yes (harmless)

The subject of this spell appears to be about 2 feet away from its true location. The creature benefits from a 50% miss chance as if it had total concealment. Like nonmagical total concealment, greater displacement prevents enemies from targeting the creature normally. True seeing does not reveal its true location.
Material Component

A small strip of leather twisted into a loop.

Corwin

I have question about the Burst of Glory writeup

Burst of Glory
Evocation [Good]
Level: Clr 12, Glory 12, Pal 12
Range: Close (25ft/2 levels); see text
Effect: Rays; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell sends Bolts of Glory at every creature within range of the spell. See the spell on page 35 of the Spell Compendium. You roll spell resistance and your attack roll once and apply it to all targets within range. The maximum damage for each bolt is raised, up to 30d12 versus natives of the Negative Energy Plane, evil outsiders and undead; 14d12 versus neutral outsiders and inhabitants of the Material Plane or Elemental plane; good outsiders and creatures native to the Positive Energy Plane still take no damage.

Burst of Glory sends bolts at all creatures within range, even allies and creatures that would not be affected by the bolt.

Close range is 25ft+5ft/2 levels, so I'm confirming that the 25ft/2 levels range in the writeup is correct.

Also, neutral outsiders and others would probably be 15d12. It seems to be half the dice in Bolt of Glory, except there 15 divided by 2 ends up as 7.

Anastasia

Quote from: Nephrite on June 06, 2017, 01:24:58 PM
Because I love to nag: There are no Bard 8 divination spells currently (obviously the variant wasn't really designed with that in mind) could we work and come up with one? It seems like the class generally lowers the levels of other divination-related spells when it adds them to the bard list, as seen here: 4th—analyze dweomer (lowered from 6th), sending; 5th—contact other plane, greater scrying (lowered from 6th);

Go for it. Propose something reasonable and that fits or make a new spell.
<Afina> Forever.

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on June 06, 2017, 01:41:12 PM
Mass Power Word Stun might work as War 12, so I'll focus on War 11 for now. I figured I'd go on a 'Greater Divine Power' tangent here, using the lvl11 cleric spell Martyr's Kiss as inspiration of where to take it.

Divine Power

Evocation
Level:    Clr 4, War 4
Components:    V, S, DF
Range:    Personal
Target:    You
Duration:    1 round/level

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, and you gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

Martyr's Kiss

Abjuration [Good]
Level: Clr 11
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Touch.
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Special; see text

This spell protects a martyr to be, making them a dynamic force in a dramatic sacrifice. They gain a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, caster level checks, armor class and saving throws. The target of the spell does not automatically fail a saving throw on a natural 1. Further, reducing his hit points to 0 or less does not incapacitate the target of the spell at all, nor does being reduced to -10 or lower hit points cause the death of the character. They are immune to petrification, imprisonment, temporal stasis or any other attempt to imprison or bind them.

At the end of the duration, when the target is slain, if this spell is successfully dispelled or as a standard action when the target desires, his body explodes in a titanic burst of holy light. This deals damage equal to the target's current hit points + 50 to all targets within 40ft of the target. A fortitude save halves this damage. Obviously, this explosion kills the target if he is not already dead. Dying in this matter bypasses regeneration and other similar abilities, as the body is completely destroyed.

This spell functions only on willing targets who are aware of what the spell does. If forced on a target or they are not aware of how it works, Kiss of the Martyr fails.

Material Component

A pair of tears shed at the completion of the spell, one by the caster and one by the target.

Greater Divine Power

Evocation
Level: Clr 11, War 11
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks) as well as gaining a +10 sacred bonus to attack rolls and weapon damage rolls, and you gain 2 temporary hit point per caster level.

I'd probably drop the sacred bonus down a bit, maybe to +8. After all, the sacred bonus of matyr's kiss comes with a considerable drawback. Considering the baseline spell is an enhancement bonus, a greater version would likely use a larger enhancement bonus than +10 rather than a +10 sacred bonus.

Nits to pick aside, the concept's fine.
<Afina> Forever.

Corwin

I know, I just wanted to do something a bit more different than 'this is the same spell except with a larger bonus'. I sorta get that the martyr's kiss spell has a real drawback, though I stuck to just a weapons boost and to a short duration to compensate.

As for sacred as opposed to enhancement, it's honestly unimportant. I don't think there are normally enhancement bonuses to attack and damage. Maybe drop the sacred/enhancement part altogether and call it a flat +10 to hit/to damage? Or +8, if you really think it's too much?

Yuthirin

Firstly, again happy birthday, Dune.

Secondly, on the creation of dorjes:

The SRD states that the cost to create a dorje is 375 x Level of Power x level of caster.

However, the math they list for the sale of dorjes doesn't properly equate. I broke it down, and in actuality the math shows the cost to purchase a dorje is:

375 x Level of Power x TWICE the level of caster

What's your take on this?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Ebiris

Enchanted weapons give an enhancement bonus to attack/damage don't they?

Nephrite

Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 02:22:48 PM
Quote from: Nephrite on June 06, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

Go for it. Propose something reasonable and that fits or make a new spell.

I think it'd be reasonable for Bardic Sage to learn Foresight at 8 instead of 9, what do you think? (I still have to come up with a bard spell for 9, even saying that...)

Yuthirin

Also, can Arrows of Spell Storing also store psionic powers?
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Corwin

Quote from: Ebiris on June 06, 2017, 03:16:53 PM
Enchanted weapons give an enhancement bonus to attack/damage don't they?

You're probably correct! Yet another reason the spell shouldn't use enhancement for this.

Iron Dragoon

Quote from: Anastasia on June 06, 2017, 11:35:18 AM

Quick note, your save bonuses are wrong. Epic characters get a +1 to all saves at level 23, 26, 29 and so on. Total level, not class level. So you'd get a +1 to all saves at level 26 (the first level) and nothing at level 27 (the second level).

Don't dragons get good save advancement? Or is that BaB only?
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.