News:

Game for the gaming god; co-op for the entertainment couch!

Main Menu

Loot thread 3: Booty, broads and booze!

Started by Anastasia, August 23, 2011, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corwin

Binding is the MIC +1 equivalent ability that allows you to activate Dimensional Anchor as swift 2/day, and if you hit with your weapon in that round, the enemy is affected by that spell for 10 minutes.
<Steph> I might have made a terrible mistake

Anastasia

Quote from: Corwin on January 15, 2012, 06:48:38 PM
Binding is the MIC +1 equivalent ability that allows you to activate Dimensional Anchor as swift 2/day, and if you hit with your weapon in that round, the enemy is affected by that spell for 10 minutes.

Fine with me.
<Afina> Imagine a tiny pixie boot stamping on a devil's face.
<Afina> Forever.

<Yuthirin> Afina, giant parasitic rainbow space whale.
<IronDragoon> I mean, why not?

Ebiris

It's from Arthurian legend. It's the sword of Derfel Cadarn.

Merc

Quote from: Anastasia on January 15, 2012, 06:42:28 PMIt's entirely possible. Since I'm busy right now, why don't you try your hand at designing something like that? If it's decent I'll approve it. If not I'll work on it but it may be awhile.
Okay, I can give it a try. How much value would the dragon parts/prismatic spray add to it? Flat gold cost/enhancement bonus equivalent/mix of the two?
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Anastasia

Quote from: Merc on January 15, 2012, 07:02:33 PM
Quote from: Anastasia on January 15, 2012, 06:42:28 PMIt's entirely possible. Since I'm busy right now, why don't you try your hand at designing something like that? If it's decent I'll approve it. If not I'll work on it but it may be awhile.
Okay, I can give it a try. How much value would the dragon parts/prismatic spray add to it? Flat gold cost/enhancement bonus equivalent/mix of the two?

There's a prismatic spray effect in the MIC, check that.
<Afina> Forever.

Merc

It's harder than I thought to think of something that's balanced, that I like, that's flavored to construction and that feels a bit more personalized to Ithea.

I actually think I'd rather have you think on it instead, even if it'll take a while, though I'll still have Afina to construct it and consider the ability to be dormant for now.

That said, here are the general thoughts I had so far, in case any of these give you ideas of your own:

1) Stick with prismatic burst (the MIC effect). It's a little lame because obviously it lacks the originality/personal touch, and I just don't crit almost at all. I'm not a big fan of this idea just because of the lack of personalized touch to it.

2) Give it a runestaff effect where I can spend spell slots to gain the effect of some dragon-flavored spells that are granted by the weapon itself. Problems are in finding appropriate spells and also the available value/pricing (30k) is probably too low to really do runestaff flavor when comparing to the orb-blade (70k) with just a level 1+3 spell. Could be a nice way of getting a few more spells known, but pricing makes me feel this is probably not possible.

It could be also just be something where it's a dormant ability where I get more spells as I invest money on it...but that kinda gives it the whole intelligent weapon vibe, and an intelligent weapon with a dragon I helped kill as the base when I'm cursed by dragon deities....not a pretty future there likely.

3) Give it the ability to channel any evocation spell known, as all the evocation spells I can learn tend to fit with the flavor of prismatic spray's effects, even if it's normally not a touch spell. One problem is that I don't actually have a lot of evocation spells besides shocking grasp (Shout and some level 0 spells), and I have zero interest in retraining spells to pick up some of the other spells from level 1-4 spell list as I'm pretty happy with shocking grasp/vampiric touch at those levels.

It -would- give me channelable spells at later levels above vampiric touch such as polar ray/chain lightning, and from the current epic list there's a couple of other evocation spells (though some don't really work as channeled spells from how they work such as meteor swarm) too.

It also personalizes it for something Ithea is good at, so that's neat, but the lack of qualifying spells also just makes it meh at the same time.  It's more of a 'wait for it' ability, and you said you might revamp duskblade spell list at some later date which could give some touch spells anyway since that was one of my complaints about the spell list at level 4+, so there might not even be a point for it either.

I still like it more than the runestaff/prismatic burst ideas though.

4) Kind of a combination of 1 and 3, except instead of getting a prismatic spray effect on a crit, I can cast any evocation spell I know as a free action at caster level 22 (or my own, whichever is higher). On the one hand, I get more versatility than prismatic burst, on the other hand, I do consume a spell slot, and all my spells known are lower level than prismatic spray, though once I get into epic I could conceivably use prismatic spray with this effect and the higher caster level until I can get into epic gives those spells a possible extra oomph. I like an ability that scales with me too. Plus in the construction I was planning on using both prismatic spray uses, not a single one, so getting a bit extra bang for my buck is nice. It still relies on critting though, which feels too unreliable, even after picking up improved critical.

5) Something involving flight so I don't fall into nightmarish chains or whatever and need to rely on a rescue again. It doesn't really feel like it'd match the flavor of the construction plan though, not even if it were dragon-like wings. I figured it was worth mentioning anyway.

6) Minor effect so it'd probably be something on top of a main effect, but besides shiftsilver also granting +2 dmg vs creatures with DR/silver, make it so it also grants the bonus against creatures with the dragon type or dragonblooded subtype. This would be because I was going to ask Afina not just to mix lycanthrope blood in there but a bit of Arandalhaz's blood, as the blade is primarily the shiftsilver part of the weapon, while the rest of the polearm uses Arandalhaz's body parts. Having his blood mixed in with the shiftsilver makes the blade more attuned and actually feel like part of the weapon, something that would channel dragon power!

Anyway, while that's left on the drawing board for now, I want to sell my current weapon and have Afina make this new glaive. As I said before, I can just consider the eventual ability to be dormant for now and it lets me have a ghost touch weapon handy for game time sooner rather than later.

Selling my current weapon puts me at 24,033.69gp and commisioning Afina for +1 shiftsilver, ghost touch, holy glaive would cost 14,102.67gp (502.67 for shiftsilver glaive and 13,600 for +4 enhancement assuming I did that right). That'd put me at 9,931.02gp.

Depending on what final market value you think is reasonable for the dormant ability, may also pick up bane [outsider,evil] if I can afford it (+7,650gp), though that can wait until details on dormant dragon ability are hashed out.
<Cidward> God willing, we'll all meet in Buttquest 2: The Quest for More Butts.

Corwin

-3,000gp for the self-cast Permanency/Blindsight
-2,000gp for the Priest's help

Corwin

Corwin

-500gp for Permanecy'd Prestidigitation

Corwin

Corwin

Ebiris

-1,500gp for scroll of Superior Invisibility scribed by Tepen.

Anastasia

Loot that Annalise appropriated from the Battle of the Bloodletting Peak

Large Greatsword+2, hellfire. 32,000 gold.
Blood War Medal: Grants a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage roll versus demons. If you do not have spell resistance, you gain spell resistance 18 against spells and spell like abilities from demons. If you do have spell resistance, you gain a +2 bonus to it against spells and spell like abilities from demons. 9,000 gold.
Scroll of Gathgorian's Fireball: 5,250 gold.

Gathgorian's Fireball
Evocation [Evil, Lawful]
Level: Sor/Wiz 10
Components: V, S, Devil.
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: 40ft spread.
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: Reflex half.
Spell Resistance: Yes.

This spell functions as fireball and resembles it at first glance. However, the fires are composed of pure lawful and evil energies, granting them great power against the opposite alignments. This spell deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level, to a maximum of 25d6. Any targets that are chaotic, good or chaotic good in alignment suffer a -3 penalty to the saving throw. In addition, Gathgorian's Fireball ignores any fire resistance or immunity these creatures possess.
<Afina> Forever.

Yuthirin

Willim's personal effects:

Circlet of Intellect +6
Amulet of Health +6
Torn & Burned Monk's Outfit
Oversized and well-tailored tuxedo with cane and monocle
Cloak of Resistance +4
Bracers of Armor +6
Gauntlets of Ogre Power +6
Barbarian's Ring
Monk's Belt

Backpack containing:
  -Flint & Steel
  -Bucket
  -Bedroll
  -Fishing net
  -Silk rope, 50ft
  -Tent
  -Waterskin
  -Iron pot
  -Sledge

489 gold
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Anastasia

It should be noted that the circlet of intelligence is a loaner from Sage Vul'lath.

Up to you guys to what you do with the rest of it.
<Afina> Forever.