News:

"I sense a soul in search of answers.  I shalt eat him."

Main Menu

Amature/Amusing photography thread

Started by Brian, September 29, 2011, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Who doesn't have a digital camera, these days, anyway?  So, thinking we all see interesting/amusing things, let's post them here:

This guy cut me off in traffic (no, really, his custom plate, it made me laugh!):

I took this during a moment of stop-and-go traffic; hilariously, I forgot to disable the flash on my camera-phone, which seemed to spook this guy.  Oops. >_>;;
I handle other fanfic authors Nanoha-style.  Grit those teeth!  C&C incoming!
Prepare to be befriended!

~exploding tag~

Brian

I tried to snap a picture of an interesting cloud verge on the way in, spilling over the coastal range from SF, but I couldn't get a good shot while driving.  I took a not-quite-as-good-as-I-hoped shot from the parking garage at work; I found some interesting foreground elements to make up for that.  Mmm, my composition is still way off. :p

Cloud verge over the mountains:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Here's some pictures from the last time I went to Davenport (found them while I was clearing out old photos).  This is on the northern cliff, facing south (I performed a marriage ceremony on that beach once, nearly a decade ago now):

Here's turning around and walking to the back of the promontory (so, this is a view off the north side of the northern cliff):

Incidentally, if anyone is curious as to more shots from Davenport, lemme know now, because I just don't visit that often....  Scaling the southern cliff is really tricky, and I plan to go in the evening -- so probably not going to take any shots from up there. Hope you enjoyed~!

~exploding tag~

Brian

I took these today on the way in to work.

There's a story to go with them....

Obligatory (you'll have to look really closely: DOUBLE RAINBOW!

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

You need a better lens filter, sir!

Unless you're using a phone or pocket camera. Then carry on.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

It's from my HTC Inspire, which is a pretty decent camera, for a phone.  Unfortunately, both of these shots are in the rain (there is a rainbow, after all) and through the less-than-perfectly-cleaned windows of my car while I was driving. :\

The second one, you can actually see the arc of my steering wheel reflected in the window, almost paralleling the second arc of the rainbow. :p

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

I was actually talking about the shots you took on the 30th.
What if they're not stars at all? What if the night sky is full of titanic far-off lidless eyes, staring in all directions across eternity?

Brian

Oooh.  Those I just reduced the quality because I had only MS paint and didn't want 1.5 MB pictures.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

I was actually referring to the fact that the colors would have benefited from a UV filter. They'd be much more alive. The photos themselves are pretty good, but thay lack a certain warmth.

Brian

Hmm. I'll have to see if that can be adjusted in the future, then.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

If you're not shooting from an SLR camera, the chances of correcting that are unlikely at best. If so, don't worry about it. If you ARE using SLR, you can pick up a cheap filter for $8-10 at any Best Buy.

Brian

Mm.  Sounds like I'm gonna need to get a bit more serious and buy a better camera in coming months.  Good suggestions for that?

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Nikon or Canon. Olympus isn't quite able to hack it, and Sony is TERRIBLE. I'm a Canon man myself. Looking at getting a t2i within the next few months. I encourage you to do some research. A good site I have used for years is http://www.dpreview.com

Brian

What's the cost of that?  As an amateur I'm not looking to spend much.

We moved offices today; I have twice as much deskspace now.  Here's my new cube:
[spoiler]

Really need to decorate it with ... stuff.

Of any kind. ._.

Not in frame: Two monitors with no mounting equipment (on the empty desk to my right), a server motherboard (in box) that we have no idea what to do with, and the secondary vinegar bottle.  Also, a vast number of screws from an older desk.  Not ... sure what to do with those yet.

~exploding tag~

Yuthirin

Sweet desk!

Canon t3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120506

Ranges from $550-600 for the basic kit, which'll do everything you want it to do (probably). The price is a bit of a kicker, yeah, but it'll last you a long-ass time and take some supreme pictures.

Brian

Yeah, I think I'm going to go lower-end than that.  I realize it means not-so-perfect pictures, but I think I'd rather practice on something cheaper and figure out how into this I really am before throwing that much money into it. :x

Can you suggest anything that (with decent accessories) would be around 200$ max?  This is probably asking for the best of a bad lot, but....

~exploding tag~