Main Menu

Day 66: Deliberations With the Dead

Started by Iron Dragoon, March 04, 2015, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Dragoon

Session Start: Wed Mar 04 11:54:45 2015
Session Ident: #dunes
* Now talking in #dunes
* Topic is 'Little(32)>Jetina(27)>Sharm=Macaron(24)Veren(23)>Moore(19)>Lucy(15)>Ghost(12) '
* Set by Kotono on Tue Mar 03 14:22:52
<Kotono> > * Kotono changes topic to 'Little(32)>Jetina(27)>Sharm=Macaron(24)>Moore(19)>Lucy(15)>Ghost(12)'
<Kotono> > > Little quickly flies back towards the poison-filled stairway in the secret passage, yelping, "Little help by staying out of the way of big bad!" OOC: Jetina's up.
<Kotono> > > Jetina strides forward, brandishing her holy symbol. "In Qupan's name, go to rest," she declares, reaching out to plunge her hand into the ghost's chest.
<Kotono> > <Veren> roll 1d20+4 Init
<Kotono> > <Kobot> Veren rolled 1d20+4 Init --> [ 1d20=19 ]{23}
<Kotono> > * Kotono changes topic to 'Little(32)>Jetina(27)>Sharm=Macaron(24)Veren(23)>Moore(19)>Lucy(15)>Ghost(12)'
<Kotono> > > roll 1d20+11
<Kotono> > <Kobot> Kotono rolled 1d20+11 --> [ 1d20=1 ]{12}
<Kotono> > > Jetina's hand crackles with holy power - but the ghost just flickers out of being a few moments, the attack spoiled. OOC: Woof. Sharm and Macaron. We'll pause here since it's pausing time and resume tomorrow. I have work soon.
<Sharm> Mustering her power to give her a defensive edge, Sharm raises her sword and sneers at the ghost. "Hit a nerve, did I? That magic-less sow of a mother was good enough for you to suck at her teat an over-long time! Must have relieved her when you took the coward's exit and saved her the chafing!" Obligatory trash talk done, she rushes over and swings her sword up diagonally across the specter's
<Sharm> form!
<Sharm> roll 1d20+15 -4pa, using swift defensive precognition for +2 AC
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 25 > 12 [d20=10]
<Sharm> roll 1d100 miss chance
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 59 > 12 [d100=59]
<Kotono> OOC: Hit.
<Sharm> roll 2d6+11+8
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 25 > 12 [d6=2,4]
<Kotono> Sharm swings the sword right through the ghost's chest. It's like trying to chop up humid, thick air, but the entire form does ripple from it. Macaron hangs back for now, preparing to pounce. OoC: Macaron will hold a moment, depending. Moore.
<Moore> Moore clears his throat. "All right! Let's beat some sense into this ghost!" Moore shouts to his allies, giving them the courage to continue on! OOC: Inspire Courage, +2 to Attack/Damage and +2 to charm/fear
<Moore> Then he simply vanishes from sight! OOC: Also he's going invisible.
<Kotono> OOC: Fantastic. Lucy?
<Lucy> OOC: I'm so attacking!
<Kotono> OOC: Then line and do your fearsome attacks
<Lucy> "We could have engaged in intelligent discussion of the very secrets of life and death," Lucy says, sounding incredibly disappointed yet resigned all the same. It wouldn't do to hit any of her allies with her magic, but luckily she's far enough that a simple step would resolve that potential problem. She makes a shallow cut in her palm to cast a spell with her own powerful magic, and then, to
<Lucy> rub salt into the ghost's wounds further, she brandishes his staff of maximize for good measure. Then, almost as an afterthought, Lucy makes her wings materialize in the space ahead of her!
<Lucy> OOC: Wings of Flurry with Shadow Power escalation and Rod of Maximize. SR?
<Kotono> OOC: Yes.
<Lucy> roll 1d20+10
<Serith> Lucy roll for Serith < 22 > 12 [d20=12]
<Kotono> OOC: Success. Damage?
<Lucy> OOC: 90 force damage from maximized empowered 10d6 wings of flurry, ref DC 25
<Kotono> roll 1d20+19 ref
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 32 > 12 [d20=13]
<Lucy> roll 1d20+10 CL vs DC20 to not take damage
<Serith> Lucy roll for Serith < 12 > 12 [d20=2]
<Lucy> OOC: 8 damage to me and fatigued for 4 rounds
<Kotono> The potent blast of winged force sends the ghost hurling back, down into the ground. There's silence for a few moments, before the ghost erupts out of the ground. It howls in sheer fury, the creature suddenly a nightmarish visage of rage! OOC: Fort saves, all.
<Veren > roll 1d20+6+5 Fort/Inspiration, 4 Insp. left
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 28 > 12 [d20=17]
<Sharm> roll 1d20+13 +2 from Moore if that's a fear effect
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 24 > 12 [d20=11]
<Lucy> roll 1d20+7 +2 likewise
<Serith> Lucy roll for Serith < 26 > 12 [d20=19]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+15 Jetina
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 33 > 12 [d20=18]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+10 Macaron
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 17 > 12 [d20=7]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+5 Little
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 10 > 12 [d20=5]
<Moore> roll 1d20+6
<Serith> Moore roll for Serith < 11 > 12 [d20=5]
<Kotono> roll 1d4 str, dex, con damage to Little and Moore only. They also age 1d4 years, but both are immortal creatures who don't age, to this aspect is irrelevant.
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 2 > 12 [d4=2]
* Veren steps up to the ghost to support Sharm and stabs out at the dead person with a pair of strikes from his dagger!
<Veren > roll 1d20+14 ATK 1
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 19 > 12 [d20=5]
<Veren > roll 1d20+9 ATK 2
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 14 > 12 [d20=5]
<Kotono> OOC: One hit. Damage.
> roll 1d4+3+5d6 Sneak Attack
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 18 > 12 [d4=3][d6=2,4,1,4,1]
<Kotono> As the horror spreads, Veren darts in and stabs the ghost. Meanwhile, Moore finds himself terrified, as Little howls as her retreats. What follows is a mournful howl from the ghost, "All lost and all lost for all time..." OOC: Wil saves all. This is a fear effect, so Jetina's immune. Mind-affecting and sonic too.
<Kotono> OOC: Remember, her aura of courage grants +4 morale to this save.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+12 Macaron
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 25 > 12 [d20=13]
<Lucy> roll 1d20+9 I'm too far for her aura being like 30ft away
<Serith> Lucy roll for Serith < 15 > 12 [d20=6]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+7 Little
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 23 > 12 [d20=16]
<Moore> roll 1d20+9+4
<Serith> Moore roll for Serith < 31 > 12 [d20=18]
<Veren > roll 1d20+8+4+5 Will/Jetina/Inspiration, 3 Insp.
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 23 > 12 [d20=6]
<Kotono> OOC: Sharm?
<Sharm> roll 1d20+8+4+6 using empty mind as immediate
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 28 > 12 [d20=10]
<Kotono> roll 2d4 Lucy panicked for this number of rounds, also aged by the same amount, which is irrelevant to her since outsider.
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 7 > 12 [d4=3,4]
<Kotono> As unrelenting terror fills the halls, the ghost strikes out at Sharm, trying to batter her down with the scepter.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+11 touch AC?
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 16 > 12 [d20=5]
<Kotono> roll 1d20+6 touch AC?
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 16 > 12 [d20=10]
<Sharm> OOC: 23 incorporeal touch
<Kotono> But Sharm's blade is rock-steady and her nerves are like steel. With this, she competently dodges the assault! Meanwhile Macaron leaps into action. He runs up to Lucy, sits and barks right at her. It's utterly mundane in sound, yet it parts the momentary rush of fear in her. A gentle white light washes over her from above, restoring clarity just as it was lost. OOC: Little's up.
* Kotono changes topic to 'Little(32)>Jetina(27)>Sharm(24)Veren(23)>Moore(19)>Lucy(15)>Ghost(12)>Macaron '
<Kotono> Little flees down the stairs and out of sight. OOC: Jetina.
<Kotono> Jetina stays in position, thrusting her holy symbol out as she again tries to touch the ghost.
<Kotono> roll 1d20+11 touch AC
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 23 > 12 [d20=12]
<Kotono> roll 4d8+9+10 and fast healing 6 for 9 rounds - or 6 damage per round
<Serith> Kotono roll for Serith < 36 > 12 [d8=5,7,1,4]
<Kotono> Jetina's hand plunges into the ghost. This time holy light floods it from within, making it howl in pain. "Be silent and return to rest, in the name of Qupan!" OOC: Sharm.
<Sharm> "Do everyone a favor and disappear!" Sharm says, swinging her sword through the ethereal form of the ghost back and forth!
<Sharm> roll 1d20+8 -3pa
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 20 > 12 [d20=12]
<Sharm> OOC: +18 so 28
<Kotono> OOC: Hit.
<Sharm> roll 1d20+18 -3pa
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 36 > 12 [d20=18]
<Sharm> roll 1d20+13 -3pa
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 14 > 12 [d20=1]
<Sharm> roll 2#1d100
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 72, 17 >
<Sharm> roll 2d6+17
<Serith> Sharm roll for Serith < 20 > 12 [d6=2,1]
<Kotono> The blow is enough. The ghost falls to its knees, shuddering and flickering. Resistance seems to have ceased, as it struggles to remain visible. OOC: Free act for the moment.
* Veren keeps his position and blade ready.
<Veren > "Enough fighting?"
<Moore> "Will you please stop this madness? We didn't come here to try and kill you... again." Moore says. OOC: Well he's going to -try- Diplomacy...
<Sharm> "Figure we've got to find whatever's anchoring the dip-shit and wreck it so we can be rid of him properly?" Sharm wonders.
* Lucy smiles tiredly at Macaron, before raising an eyebrow at the ghost. "Very impressive rage, I shall give you that." She can't quite conceal her yawn. "And only that, I'm afraid."
<Veren > "Peaceful resolution is preferable. It is a relative of our employer, after all."
<Sharm> Since they're all trying to sweet talk it, Sharm figures her presence is unhelpful and goes to lean against the wall by the front door.
<Kotono> OOC: Diplo check, Moore.
<Veren > OOC: Can I assist on that?
<Moore> roll 1d20+21
<Serith> Moore roll for Serith < 40 > 12 [d20=19]
<Kotono> OOC: Sure Veren.
<Veren > roll 1d20+11 Diplo Assist
<Serith> Veren roll for Serith < 19 > 12 [d20=8]
<Kotono> Moore gets the spirit's attention, who looks up at him. "You come and interrupt my research," he gasps out, "Why then?"
<Moore> "It's a long story." Moore says. "But I'll try to explain."
<Kotono> Jetina holds a moment, glancing over her shoulder at Moore. She keeps her holy symbol at the ready.
<Moore> "It was some time ago that we all came here -- in doing so, some of us found more out about the Light than we wanted to." He says. "Copies replacing people... individuals finding themselves in places where time had stopped and no people existed...  We ended up hearing about you and this place." He says. "We ended up in a place that I think was a barrier beyond this place and the next and thought
<Moore> you may have encountered something similar in your own research."
<Kotono> "My research...is not that of the light. My research is magic.  But I know something of copies," The ghost's gaze travels about, before settling on Lucy. "Wizardess. There are people in this world who are not people, but light. Some call themselves light mages, but many others are unaware."
<Lucy> "I know that," Lucy responds, looking more alert now. "The Light Mages have a way to tell, but I haven't devised the means just yet. Have you?"
<Sharm> Sharm looks pretty confused at the direction things are going but keeps her mouth shut. She can ask more about it when there's no ghosts around.
* Veren allows himself to relax a little and glances around and into the next room for any threats or anything of interest.
<Kotono> Now he turns back to Moore, "You have the potential to learn it as well," he says, "There is one spell. One spell I developed in my life, before I turned to the study of pure magic. You would be better than her at casting it. The key to casting it is..."
* Lucy quietly scoffs at the idea of anyone being better than her at casting anything.
<Moore> Moore blinks and nods. He'll ask about other matters after this.
<Kotono> "You must decode the spell. Normal magic will not suffice. I had to learn alternate ways to express magic to allow the spell to work. My ultimate medium was music. The format of the spell is a musical score."
<Moore> "Oh. Well...yes, in that case, I think I can manage." Moore says with a smile.
<Kotono> The ghost fades. A moment later it reappears, a sheaf of papers falling to the ground. "Take these and leave," it says, "Leave me to my research."
<Veren > "That's not all. There's an additional matter."
<Lucy> "What are the specifics of your research?" Lucy asks curiously.
<Moore> "Ah, speaking of that..." Moore says as he goes down to pick up the papers.
<Moore> "Do you have any love for your cousin?" Moore asks, trying to not make it sound as if he's accusing him of not, but more to see what their relationship might be like.
<Kotono> The ghost growls, "My cousin can rot. He is why I am like this!" The ghost growls, "The only mercy is that it allows me to continue my research."
<Lucy> "Oh?"
<Moore> "Well, isn't that interesting... He certainly left that out in our meeting." Moore says. "Well, how shall we approach this?" He looks at the others. "I mean, if he committed a crime, we could certainly verify it with Aria and the others..."
<Lucy> "We should hear the details, and an ageless spirit could surely spare a few minutes to share them if it will improve his situation in the future."
<Kotono> "I care not. You're strong and a good conversation. Leave with your lives," The ghost stands up, no longer flickering.
<Moore> "But, Mister DeLorian, as you can tell, we're not just a ragtag group. I'm certain Miss Lucy could help further your research into magical arts. If such a thing were of any interest to you." Moore says. "If you care about research, I would implore you to tell us more about it."
<Kotono> OOC: Make another diplo check, Moore.
<Sharm> "I just wanted some fancy new digs," Sharm mutters. Maybe there's another mansion they can take over?
<Veren > "And face it. Your cousin isn't going to stop sending people after this place."
<Moore> roll 1d20+21
<Serith> Moore roll for Serith < 36 > 12 [d20=15]
<Lucy> roll 1d20+21 let's help!
<Serith> Lucy roll for Serith < 36 > 12 [d20=15]
<Moore> OOC: High five twinsie
<Kotono> Moore's words pause the spirit once more, and the ghost stops a second time when Sharm and Veren speak up. "Hmmm..." Suddenly he chuckles. A dreadful thing, "Perhaps he will, at that. Tell me what deal he offered you."
<Lucy> "The mansion and your research," Lucy tells the ghost. "He was quite specific about how you were the one that caused the incident resulting in your current state."
<Moore> "It's relatively simple... Get rid of you, he'd come clear out the mansion and we'd take over the mansion as a new home for ourselves." Moore says.
<Moore> He nods to Lucy in agreement.
<Kotono> "My research?" The words are a growl, "Oh, you deluded fool," he mutters and bone-chilling chuckles. "I would make a counter offer."
<Lucy> "Yes?"
<Kotono> "Bring me a magistrate and testify when I ask you to. In return you can have lodging here and we can talk of research." A deep chill fills the room, even worse than before, "He has brought shame to the DeLorian name with his folly. It is time for him to reap the whirlwind."
<Moore> Moore looks to the others. "I think this is perfectly reasonable."
<Lucy> "First I would like to hear just what happened," Lucy muses.
<Sharm> "Yeah..." Sharm stretches her arms behind her, fingers laced. "I guess I was just kidding when I said all that stuff about his mom, then."
<Kotono> "He sabotaged my research, resulting in my death. But my mastery of magic and the circumstances allowed me to endure," The ghost replies, "I cared not until now, for my research was not greatly disturbed. The fools that came before were dispatched and used."
<Kotono> Jetina comes over to Lucy and whispers into her ear, "This isn't right," she murmurs, "We should be putting him to rest, not this!"
<Lucy> "What sort of circumstances are we talking about?" Lucy inquires, nodding at Jetina slightly.
<Kotono> "A magical item I had was a crystal designed to hold a soul. You are familiar with trap the soul, of course," The ghost goes on, "It did as expected."
<Moore> Moore glances over at the direction Little went. Those slimy things... He frowns and turns back.
<Lucy> "Of course." She peers at the ghost. "Then are you actually dead, or merely your body?"
<Kotono> "I am as I am," The ghost replies, "I do not live, but I exist."
<Lucy> "Interesting. Ah, might I ask how you came to know of the clones and such?"
<Kotono> "A chance of researching magic," he explains, "The light mages interested me, once on a time."
<Lucy> "Yes, I can see how that might be." Lucy nods. "Alright. Is there any sort of material proof that you can present, and we might bring with us?"
<Kotono> "Bring a magistrate. That will be enough - proof is what I have," The ghost declares.
<Lucy> "Very well," Lucy agrees. "Of course, any attempt at greeting the magistrate or ourselves upon our return will be seen quite poorly. Now then, where shall we go to meet you in person, so to speak? Your laboratory?"
<Kotono> "Bring the magistrate here," The ghost gestures, "That will suffice. Now go."
<Lucy> "Until then," Lucy says, turning to leave after placing a hand on Jetina's shoulder to gently push her along.
* Veren moves after the others.
<Moore> Moore will turn and go with the others. Once they get outside, he speaks up. "I don't think there's any harm in doing what he asks us to do. If he gets ornery we can just subdue him again."
<Sharm> "Hey, uh, what about the little spiny thing?" Sharm asks as everyone starts to leave, jerking her thumb towards the stairs.
<Sharm> *the
<Lucy> 'Little, return!' Lucy commands with her mind at Sharm's helpful reminder.
<Lucy> "There is some measure of risk, but the interesting thing is that he may not actually be dead, appearances aside!" Lucy says excitedly, turning towards Jetina. "If his soul is actually held in a crystal jar than he might appear so, but could actually be brought back!"
<Kotono> Jetina gazes at Lucy evenly, "If can be brought back, so be it. Otherwise, we must put him to rest. It's wrong to do anything else."
<Lucy> "It's not impossibly hard to make a clone, and then the soul could just go into it!"
<Sharm> "Think the giant tentacle fish might have got him?" Sharm wonders aloud, waiting inside a bit. "What's up with that anyway?" she asks the ghost.
<Kotono> Little returns, flying towards the party and staying well off the ground.
* Lucy waves the creature over.
<Kotono> Little comes right over, "Scared, scared, scared!" The spiny gargoyle blurts out.
<Lucy> "From anything else in that house, or just the owner?"
* Sharm heads out once Little returns, not really caring that the ghost doesn't answer her general query.
Session Close: Wed Mar 04 14:21:12 2015
This is not the greatest post in the world, no... this is just a tribute.